Who's driving? college students' choices of transportation home after drinking
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Legal and educational interventions have not had a significant impact in reducing alcohol use among college students. The purpose of this study was to determine the frequency at which students placed themselves “at-risk” for alcohol-related traffic fatalities, either by driving while alcohol impaired or riding with an alcohol-impaired driver. On a given weekend night, 18% (n = 60) of students surveyed placed themselves at risk of being involved in an alcohol-related traffic fatality. Two-thirds of the “at-risk” subjects reported returning home with an alcohol-impaired driver. Recommendations are made for strengthening prevention efforts.
- Anda, R. F., Remington, P. L. & Williamson, D. F. (1986). A sobering perspective on a lower blood alcohol limit.Journal of the American Medical Association, 256, 3213. CrossRef
- Bangert-Drowns, R. L. (1988). The effects of school-based substance abuse education—a meta-analysis.Journal of Drug Education, 18, 243–264.
- Beck, H. W. & Summons, T. G. (1987). The social context of drinking among high school drinking drivers,American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 13, 181–198.
- Berkowitz, A. D. & Perkins, W. (1987). Recent research on gender differences in collegiate alcohol use,Journal of American College Health, 36, 123–129. CrossRef
- Bradstock, M. K., Marks, J. S., Forman, M. R., Gentry, E. M., Hogelin, G. C., & Trowbridge, F. L. (1985). The behavioral risk factor surveys: III Chronic heavy alcohol use in the United States,American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 1, 15–20.
- Farina, A. J. (1988).Effects of low doses of alcohol on driving skills: A review of the evidence. (Technical Report, DOT-HS-807-280) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Farrow, J. A. (1985). Drinking and driving behaviors of 16- to 19-year-olds,Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 46, 369–374.
- Goodstadt, M. & Claeekal-John, A. (1984). Alcohol education programs for university students: A review of their effectiveness.The International Journal of the Addictions, 13, 1307–1317.
- Johnston, L. D., O'Malley, P. M., & Bachman, J. G. (1991).Drug use among American high school seniors, college students and young adults, 1975–1990. (DHHS Publication No. ADM 91-1835). Rockville, MD: National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- Joscelyn, K. & Jones, R. (1978).A Systems Approach to the Analysis of the Drinking Driver Control System, Bloomington: Institute for Research in Public Safety, Indiana University.
- Maddox, G. L. (1970).The Domisticated Drug: Drinking among Collegians. New Haven: College and University Press Publishers.
- Monto, M. A., Newcomb, M. D., Rabow, J., & Hernandez, A. C. R. (1992). Social status and drunk-driving intervention.Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 53, 63–68.
- Moskowitz, J. M. (1983). Preventing adolescent substance abuse through drug education.National Institute on Drug Abuse Research Monograph Series, 47, 233–249.
- Moskowitz, J. M. (1989). The Primary prevention of alcohol problems: A Critical review of the research literature.Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 50, 54–88
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (1987).National trends in drug use and related factors among American high school students and young adults, 1975–1986. (DHHS Publication No. ADM 87-1535). Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Nusbaumer, M. R. & Zusman, M. E. (1981). Autos, alcohol, and adolescence: Forgotten concerns and overlooked linkages.Journal of Drug Education, 11, 167–178.
- Perkins, R. & Berkowitz, P. (1986). Perceiving the community norms of alcohol use among students: Some research implications for campus alcohol education programming,International Journal of the Additions, 21, 961–976.
- Sarvela, P. D., Newcomb, P. R., & Duncan, D. F. (1988). Drinking and driving among rural youth,Health Education Research: Theory and Practice, 3, 197–201.
- Sarvela, P. D., Pape, D. J., Odulana, J., & Bajracharya, S. M. (1990). Drinking, drug use, and driving among rural midwestern youth,Journal of School Health, 60, 215–219. CrossRef
- Swisher, J. D. & Bibeau, D. (1986). Who's driving home? Assessing adolescent drinking and driving,Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education, 32, 25–30.
- Straus, R. & Bacon, S. D. (1953).Drinking in College. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare (1979).Healthy People: The Surgeon General's Report on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention. (DHEW Publication No. ADM 79-55071A). Washington D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (January, 1987).Sixth Special Report to the U.S. Congress on Alcohol and Health. (DHHS Publication No. ADM 87-1510). Washington D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Vaughn, M. (1983). The normative structures of college students and patterns of drinking behavior,Sociological Focus, 16, 181–193.
- Vingilis, E. & Salutin, L. (1980). A prevention programme for drinking driving,Accident Analysis and Prevention, 12, 267–274. CrossRef
- Winek, C. L. (1983). Blood alcohol levels: Factors affecting predictions.Trial: The national legal magazine, 19, 38–47.
- Who's driving? college students' choices of transportation home after drinking
Journal of Primary Prevention
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 103-115
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- college students
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for Health Promotion Research and Development, University of Texas-Houston, School of Public Health, 1200 Herman Pressler, RAS W-924, 77030, Houston, TX
- 2. Department of Health Promotion and Education, University of South Carolina, USA