Data on world reservoirs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The high rates of reservoir construction throughout the world give evidence of the fact that at the present stage of economic development reservoirs are objectively necessary for solving water resources problems both in industrially-developed and in developing countries.
The great achievements in the field of hydraulic construction make it possible to regulate the flow of the largest rivers in the world and to create reservoirs with parameters exceeding those of many large natural lakes. The high scales achieved in reservoir construction during the past two decades, and the many-sided effects of reservoirs on the natural surroundings and on the economy call for an intensification of scientific investigations and for the unification of the efforts of scientists in different countries.
One of most fruitful devices for scientific research, widely applied also in reservoir design, is the analogy method. Its utilization and development call for the preparation of different reservoir classifications and typologies, which in turn generates the need for an adequate approach to the use and publication of data on reservoirs. A list of the most desirable reservoir indices should be an object for discussion by specialists in different countries.
- A. B. Avakyan and V. A. Sharapov, “Reservoirs of hydroelectric stations of the USSR,” Gidrotekh. Stroitel'., No. 4 (1970).
- Catalogue of High Dams [in Russian], Izd. AN GSSR, Tbilisi (1964).
- A. A. Korobchenkov and T. A. Levant, “Contents and basis aims of reservoir registers published abroad, as compared to the Register of Reservoirs in the USSR,” Trudy Koordinatsionnykh Soveshchanii po Gidrotekhnike, No. 59, Énergiya (1970).
- O. S. Ligun, “Preparation of the Register of Reservoirs in the USSR,” Trudy Koordinatsionnykh Soveshchanii po Gidrotekhnike, No. 53, Énergiya (1969).
- M. A. Fortunatov, “Construction of reservoirs and preliminary results of its evaluation in different parts of the world,” in: Proceedings of the 1st Scientific-Technical Conference on the Kuibyshev Reservoir [in Russian], Vol. I, Kuibyshev (1963).
- Dams in Africa, London (1968).
- Engineering and Contract Record, May (1970).
- E. Fels, “Das World Register of Dams,” Die Erde,98, No. 4, (1967).
- Teran J. Hernandez, “El agua y la revolucion Mexicana,” Ingenieria Hidraulica en Mexico,23, No. 4 (1969).
- Man-Made Lakes, Academic Press, London-New York (1966).
- Register of Dams in Canada, Montreal (1964).
- R. O. R. Martin and R. L. Hanson, Reservoirs in the United States, Washington (1966).
- World Almanac, New York (1969).
- World Dams Today, Tokyo (1967).
- World Register of Dams, Paris (1964).
- A. B. Avakyan, V. S. Smetanich, and V. B. Yakovleva, “Importance of reservoirs for recreation and sport,” Gidrotekh. Stroitel'., No. 7 (1971).
- Data on world reservoirs
Volume 5, Issue 8 , pp 773-777
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors