Ultraviolet absorption of cerium(III) and cerium(IV) in some simple glasses
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The optical absorption spectra of cerium (III) and cerium (IV) in Na2O-B2O3, Na2O-SiO2, Na2O-P2O5 glasses, and in H2O-H2SO4 and H2O-H3PO4 solutions have been studied. Individual molar extinction coefficients of cerium (III) and cerium (IV) at different wavelengths (350 to 200 nm) have been estimated. In all the glasses and solutions, cerium (IV) produces a very strong and broad charge transfer band around 250 nm; the intensity, half-width, and position of this band change appreciably with glass composition. Cerium (III) in glass and in aqueous solution produces a number of absorption bands in the ultraviolet region corresponding to the f → d transitions. The cerium (III) bands are sharp and well resolved in Na2O-P2O5 and in low-alkali borate glasses; the sharpness of resolution deteriorates in Na2O-SiO2, and in high-alkali borate glasses. The intensity of cerium (III) absorption also changes with glass composition. In all the glasses the molar extinction coefficient of cerium (IV) is 5 to 10 times stronger than that of cerium (III).
- W. Crookes,Phil. Trans. (Royal Soc., London) A214 (1914) 1.
- Report by Borax and Chemicals Ltd,Glass 36 (6) (1959) 278.
- M. Glanati,ibid 43 (1) (1966) 12.
- J. A. Kapnicky andW. A. Koehler,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 31 (11) (1948) 321.
- A. P. Herring andJ. L. Drobnick,The Glass Industry, July, August, September (1970) 316, 350, 394.
- S. D. Stookey andF. W. Schuler, IV Congres International du Verre, Paris 2–7 July, (1956) p. 390.
- J. Nebrensky, “Coloured Glass” (Joblonec, Czechoslovakia, 1965) p. 173.
- A. M. Bishay,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 45 (8) 45 389.
- G. H. Sigel Jun. andB. D. Evans,Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 54 (9) (1975) 814.
- A. Paul andR. W. Douglas,Phys. Chem. Glasses 6 (6) (1965) 212.
- K. Fuwa,J. Jap. Ceram. Soc. (Ass.) 32 (1974) 91.
- V. Gottardi, G. Paoletti andM. Tornati, Advances in Glass Technology, VI International Congress in Glass, Washington, D.C. (1962) p. 412.
- M. Tashiro, N. Soga andS. Sakka,J. Ceram. Ass. Japan 68 (773) (1960) 132.
- P. Rudd, Ph. D. Thesis, Univeristy of Sheffield (1974).
- F. Vernon,J. Inorg. Nucl. Chem. 32 (1970) 1005. CrossRef
- N. J. Weber,J. Appl. Phys. 44 (7) (1973) 3205. CrossRef
- J. A. Duffy,Phys. Chem. Glasses 13 (3) (1972) 65.
- B. D. Mcswain, N. F. Borrelli andGouq Jen Su. Phys. Chem. Glasses 4 (1) (1963) 1.
- Ultraviolet absorption of cerium(III) and cerium(IV) in some simple glasses
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 11, Issue 11 , pp 2082-2086
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors