Hydrogen effects on phase transformations in austenitic stainless steels
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of hydrogen and stress (strain) on the phase transitions of a variety of stainless steels (316, 321, 347) were investigated. Hydrogen was introduced by severe cathodic charging at room temperature. X-ray diffraction was employed to reveal the transformations occurring in thin surface layers. After charging expanded ∈ phase is always present,α′ martensite content increases during ageing and the final content depends on the stability of the austenite. The broadening of diffraction peaks of austenite after cathodic charging is caused by nonuniform distribution of hydrogen. The state of hydrogen distribution in the steel and the relationship between internal stresses, surface cracking and phase transition is discussed.
- Z. Nishiyama, “Martensitic Transformation”, edited by M. E. Fine, M. Meshii and C. M. Wayman (Academic Press, London, 1978) p. 60.
- M. L. Holzworth,Corrosion 25 (1969) 107.
- C. L. Briant,Met. Trans. 9A (1978) 731.
- D. Eliezer, D. G. Chakrapani, C. J. Altstetter andE. N. Pugh,ibid. 10A (1979) 935.
- E. Minkovitz, M. Talianker andD. Eliezer,J. Mater. Sci. 16 (1981) 2507. CrossRef
- E. Minkovitz andD. Eliezer,J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 1 (1982) 192. CrossRef
- N. Narita andH. K. Birnbaum,Scripta Metall. 14 (1980) 1355. CrossRef
- N. Narita, C. J. Altstetter andH. K. Birnbaum,Met. Trans. 13A (1982) 1355.
- H. P. Klug andL. E. Alexander, “X-Ray Diffraction” (John Wiley, New York, 1974) p. 360.
- P. Rozenak, L. Zevin andD. Eliezer,J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 2 (1983) 63. CrossRef
- P. Rozenak andL. Zevin andD. Eliezer,J. Appl. Cryst. in press.
- M. Holzworth andM. Louthan Jr,Corrosion 24 (1968) 110.
- K. Kamachi, M. Oka andM. Touge, “New Aspects of Martensitic Transformation”, (Japan Institute of Metals Sendai, 1976) p. 309.
- S. P. Timoshenko andJ. N. Goodier, “Theory of Elasticity” (McGraw Hill, New York, 1970) p. 433.
- A. Atrens, J. J. Bellina, N. F. Fiore andR. J. Coyle, Proceedings of the Symposium on the Metals Physics of Stainless Steels (TMS-AIME, Denver, Colorado, 1978) p. 54.
- P. Maulik andJ. Burke,Scripta Metall. 9 (1975) 17. CrossRef
- P. Rozenak, L. Zevin andD. Eliezer, to be published.
- Hydrogen effects on phase transformations in austenitic stainless steels
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 19, Issue 2 , pp 567-573
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors