Analysis of second phase particles in a powder metallurgy HIP nickel-base superalloy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The nature of the second phase particles associated with LC Astroloy prepared using powder metallurgy techniques has been examined. The individual particles have been identified using energy dispersive X-ray analysis and convergent beam electron diffraction. Four distinct types of particles have been observed: a cubic MC carbide in which M is either titanium or titanium plus molybdenum, a monoclinic phase ZrO2, a trigonalα-Al2O3 and a tetragonal M3B2 phase in which M is molybdenum or molybdenum and chromium. The observations indicate that, although some MC carbides are associated with the ZrO2 phase, the majority of the prior particle boundary precipitates are separate entities. Hot isostatic pressing or subsequent heat treatments above or below the γ′ solvus were observed to have little effect on the incidence or distribution of the precipitation associated with the prior particle boundaries. In contrast, heat treatments above the γ′ solvus resulted in the dissolution of the M2B3 phase and its preferential precipitation on the grain boundaries.
- N. M. Allen, R. L. Athey andJ. B. Moore, in “Progress in Powder Metallurgy”, Vol. 31, edited by G. D. Smith (Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princeton, New Jersey, 1975) p. 243.
- J. M. Larson, in “Modern Developments in Powder Metallurgy”, Vol. 8, edited by H. H. Hausner and W. E. Smith (Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princeton, New Jersey, 1974) p. 537.
- J. Bressers, M. Roth, E. Fenske andP. Tambuyser, in “Proceedings of the International Symposium on High Temperature Materials for Gas Turbines” edited by P. Coutsouradis, Liège, Belgium (Elsevier, 1982) p. 597.
- N. G. Ingesten, R. Warren andL. Winberg, in “Proceedings of the International Symposium on High Temperature Materials for Gas Turbines” edited by P. Cout-souradis, Liège, Belgium (Elsevier, 1982) p. 1013.
- C. Aubin, J. M. Davidson andJ. P. Trottier, in “Proceedings of the 4th Symposium on Superalloys” edited by J. K. Tien, S. T. Wlodek, H. Morrow, M. Gell and G. E. Maurer (American Society for Metals, Seven Springs, Pennsylvania, 1980) p. 345.
- R. E. Waters, J. A. Charles andC. Lea,Met. Technol. (1981) 194.
- R. Warren, N. G. Ingesten, L. Winberg andT. Rönnhult,Powder Met. 27 (1984) 141.
- R. G. Menzies, R. H. Bricknell andA. J. Craven,Phil. Mag. A 41 (1980) 493.
- G. J. Lewis, D. M. Parkin andF. A. Thompson, in “Proceedings on the Conference on Forging and Properties of Aerospace Materials” (Metals Society, London, 1978) p. 399.
- R. D. Eng andD. J. Evans, in “Proceedings of the 4th Symposium on Superalloys” edited by J. K. Tien, S. T. Wlodek, H. Morrow, M. Gell and G. E. Maurer (American Society for Metals, Seven Springs, Pennsylvania, 1980) p. 491.
- C. A. Hammersley,Metallurgia 45 (1978) 105.
- M. J. Blackburn andR. A. Sprague,Met. Technol. 4 (1977) 388.
- T. L. Prakash, Y. N. Chari, E. S. Bhagiradha Rao andR. Thomburaj,Metall. Trans. 14A (1983) 733.
- M. T. Podob, in “Modern Developments on Powder Metallurgy”, vol. 11, (Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princeton, New Jersey, 1977) p. 25.
- P. E. Price, R. Widmer andJ. C. Runkle, in “Modern Developments in Powder Metallurgy”, vol. 11 (Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princeton, New Jersey, 1977) p. 45.
- R. Thomburaj, W. Wallace, Y. N. Cham andT. L. Prakash,Powder Metall. 27 (1984) 169.
- D. B. Williams, in “Practical Analytical Electron Microscopy in Materials Science (Philips Electronic Instruments, Manwah, New Jersey, 1984) p. 91.
- J. W. Steeds, in “Introduction to AEM”, edited by J. J. Hren, J. I. Goldstein and D. C. Joy (Plenum Press, New York, 1979) Ch. 15.
- J. W. Steeds, G. M. Rackham andM. D. Shannon, Institute of Physics Conference Series No. 41 (Institute of Physics, London, 1979) p. 135.
- L. P. Storer,J. Mater. Sci. 16 (1981) 1356. CrossRef
- M. Raghavan, J. Y. Koo andR. Petkovicluton,J. Met. 35 (1983) 44.
- The Bristol Group, Convergent Beam Electron Diffraction of Alloy Phases, compiled by J. Mansfield (Adam Hilger, Bristol, 1985).
- B. F. Buxton, J. A. Eades, J. W. Steeds andG. M. Rackham,Phil. Tram. 281 (1976) 171.
- H. J. Goldschmidt, in “Interstitial Alloys” (Butterworths, London, 1967).
- M. J. Loretto, in “Electron Beam Analysis of Materials” (Science Paperbacks, Chapman and Hall, London, 1985) pp. 79–100.
- O. Kubaschewski andC. B. Alcock, in “Metallurgical Thermochemistry” (Pergamon Press, 1979).
- Analysis of second phase particles in a powder metallurgy HIP nickel-base superalloy
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 21, Issue 10 , pp 3445-3454
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors