Lunar periodicity in the spawning of yellowtail damselfish,Microspathodon chrysurus
- Peter H. Pressley
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The reproductive behavior of yellowtail damselfish,Microspathodon chrysurus, was studied off the Caribbean coast of Panama to determine if there is a lunar spawning cycle. Male damselfish prepare nest sites on dead coral surfaces within their permanent feeding territories. Spawning occurs at sunrise and lasts for approximately one hour. Males defend the eggs until hatching, which occurs before the morning of the sixth day of incubation. Males spawn only once a day, but may spawn many times within each reproductive phase. Reproductive activity is highest in the time periods from full to new moon. The timing of this lunar cycle differs from those reported for other marine fishes. The spawning pattern is not consistent with common explanations for lunar periodicity that are based on the role of tides or moonlight. Some implications of these results for the organization of tropical reef communities are discussed.
- Allen, G. R. 1972. The anemonefishes. T.F.H. Publications. Neptune City, N.J. 288 pp.
- Brawley, S. H. & W. H. Adey. 1977. Territorial behavior of threespot damselfish (Eupomacentrus planifrons) increases reef algal biomass and productivity. Env. Biol. Fish. 2: 45–51.
- Breder, C. M., Jr. & D. E. Rosen. 1966. Modes of reproduction in fishes. Natural History Press. New York. 941 pp.
- Christy, J. H. 1978. Adaptive significance of reproductive cycles in the fiddler crab,Uca pugilator. Science 199: 453–455.
- Clark, F. N. 1925. The life history ofLeuresthes tenuis, an atherine fish with tide controlled spawning habits. Fish and Game Commission of California, Fish. Bull. 10: 1–51.
- Ebersole, J. P. 1977. The adaptive significance of interspecific territoriality in the reef fishEupomacentrus leucostictus. Ecology 58: 914–920.
- Emery, A. R. 1973. Comparative ecology and functional osteology of fourteen species of damselfish (Pisces: Pomacentridae) at Alligator Reef, Florida Keys. Bull. Mar. Sci. 23: 649–770.
- Johannes, R. E. 1978. Reproductive strategies of coastal marine fishes in the tropics. Env. Biol. Fish. 3: 65–84.
- Korringa, P. 1947. Relations between the moon and periodicity in the breeding of marine animals. Ecol. Monogr. 17: 349–381.
- Lobel, P. S. 1978. Diel, lunar, and seasonal periodicity in the reproductive behavior of the pomacanthid fish,Centropyge potteri, and some other reef fishes. Pacific Sci. 32: 193–207.
- Moffat, N. M. & D. A. Thomson. 1978. Tidal influence on the evolution of egg size in the grunions (Leuresthes, Atherinidae). Env. Biol. Fish. 3: 267–273.
- Moyer, J. T. 1975. Reproductive behavior of the damselfishPomacentrus nagasakiensis at Miyake-jima, Japan. Japan. J. Ichthyol. 23: 23–32.
- Myrberg, A. A., Jr. & R. E. Thresher. 1974. Interspecific aggression and its relevance to the concept of territoriality in reef fishes. Am. Zool. 14: 81–96.
- Ogden, J. C. & N. S. Buckman. 1973. Movements, foraging groups, and diurnal migrations of the striped parrotfishScarus croicensis Block (Scaridae). Ecology 54: 589–596.
- Ogden, J. C. & P. S. Lobel. 1978. The role of herbivorous fishes and urchins in coral reef communities. Env. Biol. Fish. 3: 49–63.
- Robertson, D. R. & S. G. Hoffman. 1977. The roles of female mate choice and predation in the mating systems of some tropical labroid fishes. Z. Tierpsychol. 45: 298–320.
- Robertson, D. R., H. P. A. Sweatman, E. A. Fletcher & M. G. Cleland. 1976. Schooling as a mechanism for circumventing the territoriality of competitors. Ecology 57: 1208–1220.
- Rohwer, S. 1978. Parent cannibalism of offspring and egg raiding as a courtship strategy. Am. Nat. 112: 429–440. CrossRef
- Ross, R. M. 1978. Reproductive behavior of the anemonefishAmphiprion melanopus on Guam. Copeia 1978: 103–107.
- Sale, P. F. 1977. Maintenance of high diversity in coral reef fish communities. Am. Nat. 111: 337–359. CrossRef
- Shaw, E. S. 1955. The embryology of the sergeant major,Abudefduf saxatilis. Copeia 1955: 85–89.
- Vine, P. F. 1974. Effects of algal grazing and aggressive behavior of the fishesPomacentrus lividus andAcanthurus sohal on coral reef ecology. Mar. Biol. 24: 131–136. CrossRef
- Williams, A. H. 1978. Ecology of threespot damselfish: social organization, age structure, and population stability. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 34: 197–213.
- Lunar periodicity in the spawning of yellowtail damselfish,Microspathodon chrysurus
Environmental Biology of Fishes
Volume 5, Issue 2 , pp 155-159
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Reproductive behavior
- Coral reef fishes
- Fish larvae
- Community organization
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Balboa, Canal Zone, Panama