How accurate is chest radiography in the diagnosis of tracheobronchial foreign bodies in children?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The radiographic and endoscopic findings of 83 consecutive patients with suspected foreign body (FB) inhalation into the tracheobronchial tree were compared and the accuracy of chest radiography was estimated. Typical radiologic signs of FB aspiration, such as localized air trapping, atelectasis and infection occurred on radiographs of patients with and without FB. Twenty-four percent of patients with endoscopically verified FB had no abnormalities on chest radiography. In an analysis of radiographs of 83 consecutive patients, in which the prevalence of FB aspiration was 41%, the diagnostic accuracy was 67%, sensitivity 68% and specificity 67%. Plain film radiology alone is not a sufficiently sensitive nor specific method for the diagnosis of FB aspiration.
- Black RE, Choi KJ, Syme WC, Johnson DG, Matlak ME (1984) Bronchoscopic removal of aspirated foreign bodies in children. Am J Surg 148: 778 CrossRef
- Blazer S, Naveh Y, Friedman A (1980) Foreign body in the airway. Am J Dis Child 134: 68–71
- Strome M (1977) Tracheobronchial foreign bodies. An updated approach. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 86: 649
- Daniilidis J, Symeonidis B, Triaridis K, Kouloulas A (1977) Foreign body in the airways. A review of 90 cases. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 103: 570
- Wiseman NE (1984) The diagnosis of foreign body aspiration in childhood. J Pediatr Surg 19: 531
- Kim IG, Brummit WM, Humphry A, Siomra SW, Wallace WB (1973) Foreign body in the airway: a review of 202 cases. Laryngoscope 83: 347
- Gaafar H, Abdel-Dayem M, Talaat M, Mandour M (1982) The value of x-ray examination in the diagnosis of tracheobronchial foreign bodies in infants and children. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 44: 340
- Wesenberg RL, Blumhagen JD (1979) Assisted expiratory chest radiography. An effective technique for the diagnosis of foreign body aspiration. Radiology 130: 538
- Berdon WE, Dee GJ, Abramson SJ, Altman RP, Wung JT (1984) Localized pneumothorax adjacent to a collapsed lobe: a sign of bronchial obstruction. Radiology 150: 691
- Alford BA, Amstrong P (1983) Radiographic evaluation of the child who wheezes. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 12: 3
- Brown J, Dunbar JS, MacEwan DW (1963) Foreign bodies in the tracheobronchial tree in childhood. J Can Assoc Radiol 14: 158
- Swischuk LE (1979) Emergency radiology of the acutely ill or injured child, 1st edn. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, pp 1–115
- Freedman LS (1987) Evaluating and comparing imaging techniques: a review and classification of study designs. Br J Radiol 60: 1071
- Puhakka H, Kero P, Erkinjuntti M (1987) Pediatric bronchoscopy during a 17-year period. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 13: 171 CrossRef
- How accurate is chest radiography in the diagnosis of tracheobronchial foreign bodies in children?
Volume 19, Issue 8 , pp 520-522
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, Turku University Central Hospital, Turku, Finland
- 2. Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Turku University Central Hospital, Turku, Finland
- 3. Department of Pediatrics, Turku University Central Hospital, Turku, Finland