Carbon fibres coated with titanium carbide using the liquid metal transfer agent technique
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Protective coatings of titanium carbide were applied to PAN type carbon fibres by a liquid metal transfer agent (LMTA) technique using tin as a transfer agent. The effect of the coating on the strength of the fibres was evaluated by performing single fibre tensile tests. The coatings were examined metallographically, by X-ray diffractometry, and by scanning electron microscopy. Carbide coating thicknesses obtained ranged from approximately 0.05 to 0.5 μm and the coatings were found to be uniform and adherent to the fibres. It was found that wetting of the fibres by the tin alloy is associated with the spontaneous formation of a carbide layer with a thickness dependent upon the melt temperature, after which the carbide layer was found to grow parabolically with time and with an apparent activation energy of 187 kJ mol−1. The strength of the carbon fibres decreased with increasing coating thickness according to a Griffith relation.
- Y. V. NAIDICH,Prog. Surf. Membr. Sci. 14 (1981) 447.
- M. S. RASHID and C. D. WIRKUS,Ceram. Bull. 51 (1972) 836.
- V. E. OVCHARENKO, O. A. KASHIN, E. F. DUDAREV, A. A. ZABOLOTSKII and S. E. SALIBEKOV,Poroshkovaya Metallurgiya 8 (1981) 58.
- O. A. KASHIN, V. E. OVCHARENKO, S. E. SALIBEKOV and A. A. ZABOLOTSKII,Metallovedenie i Termicheskaya Obrabotka Metallov 11 (1980) 26.
- V. E. OVCHARENKO, O. A. KASHIN, E. F. DUDAREV, I. A. LAPSKER and L. A. TUROVETS,Poroshkovaya Metallurgiya 10 (1979) 43.
- A. MORTIMER, M. G. NICHOLAS and R. M. CRISPIN, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Carbon Fibres, Their Place in Modern Technology, Feb. 1974 (The Plastics Institue, London, 1974), p. 101.
- D. D. HIMBEAULT, R. A. VARIN and K. PIEKARSKI,Metall. Trans. A 19A (1988) 2109–2113.
- D. D. HIMBEAULT, R. A., VARIN and K. PIEKARSKI,Metall. Trans. A 20A (1989) 165–170.
- K. HONJO and A. SHINDO,J. Mater. Sci. 21 (1986) 2043. CrossRef
- K. PHILLIPS, A. J. PERRY, G. E. HOLLOX and E. De LAMOTTE,J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 6 (1971) 270.
- A. MIYASE and K. PIEKARSKI,J. Comp. Mater. Suppl. 14 (1980) 160.
- Annual Book of ASTM Standard Pt. 36 (ASTM, Philadelphia, 1978) p. 847.
- J. COLWELL, G. W. POWELL and J. L. RATLIFF,J. Mater. Sci. 12 (1977) 543. CrossRef
- K. KOYAMA, Y. HASHIMOTO and S. OMORI,Trans. Jpn Inst. Met. 16 (1975) 1211.
- S. KOHARA, N. MUTO and Y. IMANISHI,Nippon Kinzoku Gakkaishi 43 (1979) 589.
- R. WARREN and M. CARLSSON, in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Chemical Vapour Deposition, Sept. 1975 (Electrochemical Society, Princeton, 1975) p. 623.
- L. AGGOUR, E. FITZER, M. HEYM and E. IGNATOWITZ,Thin Solid Films 40 (1977) 97. CrossRef
- E. FITZER and D. KEHR,—ibid.39 (1976) 55. CrossRef
- A. G. METCALFE and M. J. KLEIN, “Composite Materials”, Vol. 1, edited by A. G. Metcalfe (Academic Press, New York 1974), p. 125.
- S. OCHIAI and Y. MURAKAMI,J. Mater. Sci. 14 (1979) p. 831. CrossRef
- L. E. TOTH, “Refractory Materials, Volume 7: Transition Metal Carbides and Nitrides”, edited by J. L. Margrave (Academic Press, New York, 1971) p. 148.
- S. J. BAKER and W. BONFIELD,J. Mater. Sci. 13 (1978) 1329.
- S. C. BENNETT and D. J. JOHNSON,Carbon 17 (1979) 25. CrossRef
- Carbon fibres coated with titanium carbide using the liquid metal transfer agent technique
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 24, Issue 8 , pp 2746-2750
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors