Vertebral bone mineral density of the elderly in the urban community by mobile DXA
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The present paper describes a population survey of bone mineral density (BMD) on the third lumbar vertebra (L3) using dual X-ray absorptiometry fixed in a van (mobile DXA) with lateral projection. Subjects were 387 persons aged 65 to 84 years living in Koganei City, a western suburb of Tokyo. This is the baseline survey of the 10-year project “Longitudinal Interdisciplinary Study on Aging” supported by Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology (TMIG-LISA).
As for the pattern of age-related BMD calculated in the range-of-interest (ROI) being set in the center of vertebral body to eliminate the posterior segment of vertebra and/or secondary hyperostotic changes with aging, the mean BMD of L3 declined in females from 0.514±0.121g/cm2 (mean±standard deviation) in age-group 65–69 to 0.377±0.137 g/cm2 in age-group 80–84. In males, it showed a decrease from 0.731±0.155 in 65–69 to 0.613±0.158 in 75–79 but a slight (insignificant) increase at age-group 80–84. There were significant differences of mean BMD between males and females in each age-group and in average. BMD was significantly associated with age (negatively) and body mass index (positively) in the multiple regression analysis.
- Kitazawa R, Imai Y, Yamada H et al.: Comparision of antero-posterior and lateral measurement of the vertebral mineral contents by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry. J Bone Miner Metab 5: 16–21, 1990 (in Japanese).
- Shibata H, Haga H, Suyama Y et al.: A ten-year comprehensive survey of the Japanese urban elderly: The Koganei Study. Social Gerontology 27: 68–77, 1988.
- Shibata H, Haga H, Nagai H et al.: Longitudinal changes of serum albumin in elderly people living in the community. Age Ageing 20: 296–300, 1991.
- Shibata H, Haga H, Nagai H et al.: Predictor of all-cause mortality between ages 70 and 80: The Koganei Study. Arch Gerontl Geriatr 283–297, 1992.
- Hologic Inc: Lateral scanning of the lumbar spine —a progress report—. Waltham, MA. 1991.
- Davies AM: Epidemiology and the challenge of aging. Intern. J. Epidemiol. 14: 9–21, 1985.
- Orimo H: General survey for osteoporosis. J. Public Health Practice 55:16–21, 1991 (in Japanese).
- Inoue T: The medical costs for osteoporosis in Japan. Sogo Rinsho (J. Clinic All-round). 39: 2575–2577, 1990 (in Japanese).
- Melton LJ III, Eddy DM, and Johnston CC: Screening for osteoporosis. Ann Intern Med 112: 516–528, 1990.
- Ross PD, Wasnich RD, and Davis JW: Fracture prediction models for osteoporosis prevention. Bone 11: 327–331, 1990. CrossRef
- Mazess RB, Collick B, Trempe J et al.: Performance evaluation of a dual energy X-ray bone densitometer. Calcif. Tissue. Int. 44: 228–232, 1989.
- Akiba T, Kuwabara M, Marumo F ee al.: Dual energy X-ray bone absorptiometry in long-term hemodialysis patients. Kidney Metab Bone Dis 3: 237–245, 1990 (in Japanese).
- Suzuki T, Kawabe M, and Kurihata S: Bone mineral measurements by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. J Jpn Ass Clin Phys 4: 345–346, 1990 (in Japanese).
- Slosman DO, Rizzoli R, Donath A et al.: Vertebral bone mineral density measured laterally by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Osteoporosis Int 1: 23–29, 1990. CrossRef
- Kinoshita H, Danjoh S, Yamada H et al.: Epidemiological study on the bone mineral density of inhabitants in Miyama Village, Wakayama Prefecture (II): Bone mineral density of the spine and proximal femur. J Bone Miner Metab 9 (suppl.): S130-S134, 1991.
- Norimatsu H, Mori S, Uesato T et al.: Bone mineral density of the spine and proximal femur in normal and ostooporotic subjects in Japan. Bone Miner 5: 213–222, 1989. CrossRef
- Kin K, Kushida K, Yamazaki K et al.: Radiological diagnosis of osteoporosis-spinal mineral density using DXA in normal Japanese. J Musculoskel Syst 2: 939–946, 1989 (in Japanese).
- Vertebral bone mineral density of the elderly in the urban community by mobile DXA
Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 9-16
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bone mineral density
- Mobile DXA
- Community elderly
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Epidemiology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, 35-2 Sakae-cho, Itabashi-ku, 173, Tokyo, Japan
- 2. Community Health, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, Japan