Birth-related behaviors in wild proboscis monkeys (Nasalis larvatus)
- Andrea B. Gorzitze
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Two births of wild proboscis monkeys took place during a 1991/1992 field study at Tanjung Puting National Park, Indonesia. After conception, both females continued copulating with their group’s male. One of the births took place during the night, the other during mid-morning. In the latter case, the infant was born unassisted while the members of the group watched the birthing process. After parturition, the mother consumed the placenta.
- Altmann, J., 1974. Observational study of behavior: sampling methods.Behaviour, 49: 227–265.
- ————, 1980.Baboon Mothers and Infants. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Asdell, S. A., 1964.Patterns of Mammalian Reproduction (2nd ed.). Cornell Univ. Press, Ithaca, New York.
- Brandt, E. M. &G. Mitchell, 1971. Parturition in primates: behavior related to birth. In:Primate Behavior: Developments in Field and Laboratory Research, Vol. 2,L. A. Rosenblum (ed.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 177–223.
- ———— & ————, 1973. Labor and delivery behavior in rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta).Amer. J. Phys. Anthropol., 38(2): 519–522. CrossRef
- DuMond, F. V., 1968. The squirrel monkey in a seminatural environment. In:The Squirrel Monkey,L. A. Rosenblum &R. W. Cooper (eds.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 87–145.
- Hrdy, S. B., 1977.The Langurs of Abu. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Jensen, G. D. &R. A. Bobbitt, 1967. Changing parturition time in monkeys (Macaca nemestrina) from night to day.Lab. Anim. Care, 17: 379–381.
- Jolly, A., 1972. Hour of birth in primates and man.Folia Primatol., 18: 108–121.
- Kleiman, D. G. &D. S. Mack, 1977. A peak in sexual activity during mid-pregnancy in the golden lion tamarin,Leontopithecus rosalia (Primates: Callithrichidae).J. Mammal., 58: 657–660.
- McKenna, J. J., 1974. Perinatal behavior and parturition of a ColobinaePresbytis entellus entellus (hanuman langur).Lab. Primate Newsletter, 13: 13–15.
- Pournelle, G. H., 1967. Observations on reproductive behaviour and early postnatal development of the proboscis monkey (Nasalis larvatus orientalis).Int. Zoo. Yrbk., 7: 90–92.
- Starin, E. D., 1988. Gestation and birth-related behaviors in Temminck’s Red Colobus.Folia Primatol., 51: 161–164.
- Takahata, Y., 1980. The reproductive biology of a free-ranging troop of Japanese monkeys.Primates, 21: 303–329.
- Birth-related behaviors in wild proboscis monkeys (Nasalis larvatus)
Volume 37, Issue 1 , pp 75-78
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Nasalis larvatus
- Placenta consumption
- Infant transfer
- Postconception estrus
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anthropology, The Ohio State University, 244 Lord Hall, 124 West 17th Avenue, 43210-1364, Columbus, Ohio, USA