Establishment, maintenance, and behavior of free-ranging chimpanzees on Ossabaw Island, Georgia, U.S.A.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A small number of adult chimpanzees were released on Ossabaw Island, Georgia, in order to evaluate the feasibility of establishing a free-ranging reproductive colony of chimpanzees in a semitropical North American climate. First, three females and one male were released in June 1972. Following the unexpected deaths of two of these females, four more females were added. Except for one newborn that was removed from the colony, the chimpanzee colony remained intact, and was still in existence as of February 1975. Preparation for and maintenance of the chimpanzees is described. Behavioral adaptations to the environment, and some aspects of chimpanzee social behavior are reported. The potential importance of colonies such as this, for reducing over-exploitation of naturally occurring primate populations is discussed.
- Altmann, S. A., 1962. A field study of the sociobiology of rhesus monkeys.Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 102: 338–435.
- Baldwin, L. A. &G. Teleki, 1974. Patterns of gibbon behavior on Hall's Island, Bermuda.Gibbon and Siamang, 4: 17–86.
- Berkson, G. &B. A. Ross, 1969. Factors to consider in a conservation program for gibbons. In:Behaviour,C. R. Carpenter (ed.), S. Karger, Basel, Vol. 1, pp. 43–47.
- Bernstein, I. S., 1962. Responses to nesting materials of wild born and captive born chimpanzees.Animal Behavior, 10: 1–6. CrossRef
- ———— &W. A. Mason, 1963. Group formation by rhesus monkeys.Animal Behavior, 11: 455–460.
- Beveridge, W. T. B. (ed.), 1972.Breeding Primates, Proceed. Int. Symp. Breed. Non-Human Primat. for Lab. Use, Berne, 28–30 June 1971, S. Kager, Basel.
- Candland, D. K., W. C. Geiger, &J. Bell, 1972. A field cage for Old World primates designed to encourage natural behavior.Primates, 13: 315–322. CrossRef
- Carpenter, C. R., 1942. Sexual behavior of free-ranging rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta). I. Specimens, procedures and behavioral characteristics of estrous. II. Periodicity of estrous, homosexual, autoerotic, and non-conformist behavior.J. Comp. Psychol., 33: 113–162.
- ————, 1972. Breeding colonies of gibbons and macaques on Santiago Island, Puerto Rico. In:Breeding Primates,W. I. B. Beveridge (ed.), S. Karger, Basel, pp. 76–87.
- Cary, C. A., 1922. Poisonous action of red buckeye on horses, mules, cattle, hogs and fish.Alabama Agr. Expt. Sta. Bull., 218.
- Davenport, R.K. &C. M. Rogers, 1970. Differential rearing of the chimpanzee, a project survey. In:The Chimpanzee,G. Bourne (ed.), S. Karger, Basel, pp. 337–360.
- Esser, A. H., 1971. Gibbon locomotion (Film), Psychological Cinema Register, University Park, Pa.
- Fossey, D., 1972. Vocalizations of the mountain gorilla (Gorilla gorilla beringei).Animal Behavior, 20: 36–53.
- Goodall, J. van Lawick, 1968. The behavior of free-living chimpanzees in the Gombe Stream Reserve.Animal Behavior Monographs, Vol. 1, Pt. 3. Bollier, Rindall, & Cassel, London.
- Hardin, J. W. &J. M. Arena, 1974.Human Poisoning from Native and Cultivated Plants (second edition). Duke University Press, Durham, N. C.
- Harrison, B. (ed.), 1971.Conservation of Non-Human Primates in 1970: Primates in Medicine, Vol. 5, S. Karger, Basel.
- Jenkins, T., 1972. Free range breeding of squirrel monkeys on Santa Sofia Island, Columbia. In:Breeding Primates,W. T. B. Beveridge (ed.), S. Karger, Basel.
- Local Climatological Data, Annual Summary with Comparative Data, Savannah, Ga., 1972. U. S. Department of Commerce Publication.
- MacDonald, D. W., 1952. Pine needle abortion in range beef cattle.J. Range Mgmt., 5: 150.
- Menzel, E. W., Jr., 1964. Patterns of responsiveness in chimpanzees reared through infancy under conditions of environmental restriction.Psychol. Forsch., 27: 337–365. CrossRef
- ————, 1971, Group behavior in young chimpanzees: Responses to cumulative novel changes in a large outdoor enclosure.J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol., 74: 46–51.
- ————, R. K. Davenport, & C. M. Rogers, 1970. The development of tool using in wildborn and restriction-reared chimpanzees.Folia. primat., 12: 273–283.
- Missakian, E. A., 1969. Effects of social deprivation on the development of patterns of social behavior.Proc. 2nd Internat. Congr. Primat., S. Karger, Basle, pp. 50–55.
- Morrison, J. A. & E. W. Menzel, Jr., 1972. Adaptation of a free ranging rhesus monkey colony to division and transplantation.Wildlife Monographs, No. 31, p. 78.
- Nishida, T., 1968. The social group of wild chimpanzees in the Mahali mountains.Primates, 9: 167–219. CrossRef
- Rowell, T., 1972.Social Behavior in Monkeys. Penguin Books Ltd., Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England.
- Sackett, G. P., 1970. Innate mechanisms, rearing conditions and a theory of early learning experience effects in primates. In:Miami Symp. on the Prediction of Behavior: Early Experience,M. R. Jones (ed.), University of Miami Press, Coral Gables, Florida.
- Sugiyama, Y., 1968. Social organization of chimpanzees in the Budongo Forest, Uganda.Primates, 9: 225–258. CrossRef
- Suomi, S. J., H. F. Harlow, & D. S. Kimbal, 1971. Behavioral effects of prolonged social isolation in the rhesus monkey.Psychol. Repts.
- Suzuki, A., 1969. An ecological study of chimpanzees in a Savannah woodland.Primates, 70: 103–148.
- Teleki, G., 1973a. Group response to the accidental death of a chimpanzee in Gombe National Park, Tanzania.Folia primat., 20: 81–94.
- ————, 1973b.The Predatory Behavior of Chimpanzees. Bucknell University Press, Lewisburg, Pa.
- Tucker, J. O., 1961. Pine needle abortion in cattle.Proc. Amer. Col. Vet. Toxicol., 41.
- Vandenberg, J. G., 1976. The development of social structure in free-ranging rhesus monkeys.Behaviour, 29: 179–194.
- Van Hooff, J. A. R. A. M., 1973. The Arnhem Zoo chimpanzee consortium: an attempt to create an ecologically and socially acceptable habitat.Internat. Zoo. Yearb., 13: 195–205.
- Warren, L. E., 1912. A note on the poisonous properties ofParthanocissus quinquefolia.Merkes Rept., 21: 123.
- Establishment, maintenance, and behavior of free-ranging chimpanzees on Ossabaw Island, Georgia, U.S.A.
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 451-473
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links