The social behavior of a marmoset (Saguinus fuscicollis) group II: Behavior patterns and social interaction
- Jerry L. Vogt
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The behavioral patterns and social interaction of a marmoset (Saguinus fuscicollis) group in a semi-naturalistic environment were observed for 14 months. The analysis showed that, of the 32 behavior patterns observed, the 10 most frequent accounted for over 97 per cent of the total behavior. One pattern, sit and look, accounted for 44 per cent of the total behavior. The two most frequent social behavior patterns, grooming and social play, were concentrated in different parts of the group. The focal point of grooming was the adult female; social play was characteristic of younger animals 4–20 months of age. These results were compared with other studies of marmosets and with primate studies on grooming and social play.
- Altmann, S. A. (1962) A field study of the sociobiology of rhesus monkeys,Macaca mulatta. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 102: pp. 338-435
- Altmann, S. A. (1965) Sociobiology of rhesus monkeys. II. Stochastics of social communication. J. Theoret. Biol. 8: pp. 490-522
- Box, H. O. (1975) A social developmental study of young monkeys (Callithrix jacchus) within a captive family group. Primates 16: pp. 419-435
- Box, H. O. (1975) Quantitative studies of behavior within captive groups of marmoset monkeys (Callithrix jacchus). Primates 15: pp. 155-174
- Box, H. O., Pook, A. G. (1974) A quantitative method for studying behavior in small groups of monkeys in captivity. Primates 15: pp. 101-105 CrossRef
- Eisenberg, J. F., Muckenhirn, N. A., Rudran, R. (1972) The relation between ecology and social structure in primates. Science 176: pp. 836-874
- Epple, G. (1968) Comparative studies on vocalizations in marmoset monkeys (Hapalidae). Folia primat. 8: pp. 1-40
- Epple, G. (1970) Maintenance, breeding, and development of marmoset monkeys (Callithricidae) in captivity. Folia primat. 12: pp. 56-76
- Epple, G. (1970) Quantitative studies on scent marking in the marmoset (Callithrix jacchus). Folia primat. 13: pp. 48-62
- Epple, G. (1971) Discrimination of the odors of males and females by the marmosetSaguinus fuscicollis ssp. Proc. 3rd Int. Cong. Primat. 3: pp. 166-171
- Epple, G. (1975) Parental behavior inSaguinus fuscicollis ssp. (Callithricidae). Folia primat. 24: pp. 221-238
- Epple, G. The behavior of marmoset monkeys (Callithricidae). In: Rosenblum, L. eds. (1975) Primate Behavior, Developments in Field and Laboratory Research, vol. 4. Academic Press, New York, pp. 195-239
- Hershkovitz, P. (1968) Metachromism or the principle of evolutionary change in mammalian tegumentary colors. Evolution 22: pp. 556-575
- Hladik, A., Hladik, C. M. (1969) Rapports trophiques entre vegetation et primates dans la foret de Barro Colorado (Panama). Terre Vie 1: pp. 25-117
- Loizos, C. Play behavior in higher primates: A review. In: Morris, D. eds. (1967) Primate Ethology. Aldine, Chicago, pp. 176-218
- Moynihan, M. (1970) Some behavior patterns of platyrrhine monkeys. II:Saguinus geoffroyi and some other tamarins. Smithson. Contrib. Zool. 28: pp. 1-77
- Owens, N. W. (1975) Social play behaviour in free-living baboons,Papio anubis. Anim. Behav. 23: pp. 387-408
- Sade, D. S. (1965) Some aspects of parent-offspring and sibling relations in a group of rhesus monkeys, with a discussion of grooming. Am. J. Phys. Anthro. 23: pp. 1-18
- Sade, D. S. (1972) Sociometrics ofMacaca mulatta. I. Linkages and cliques in grooming matrices. Folia primat. 18: pp. 196-223
- Simpson, M. J. A. The social grooming of male chimpanzees. In: Crook, J. H., Michael, R. P. eds. (1973) Comparative Ecology and Behavior of Primates. Academic Press, New York, pp. 187-202
- Thorington, R. W. (1968) Observations of the tamarin,Saguinus midas. Folia primat. 9: pp. 95-98
- Vogt, J. L., 1975. The social structure of a marmoset monkey group. Ph.D. diss., State University of New York at Stony Brook.
- ----, in press. The social behavior of a marmoset (Saguinus fuscicollis) group III: Spatial analysis of social structure.Folia primat.
- ----,H. Carlson, & E. W. Menzel, in press. The social behavior of a marmoset (Saguinus fuscicollis) group I: Parental care and infant development.Primates.
- The social behavior of a marmoset (Saguinus fuscicollis) group II: Behavior patterns and social interaction
Volume 19, Issue 2 , pp 287-300
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Jerry L. Vogt (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, Saint John's University, 56321, Collegeville, Minnesota, U.S.A.