Tool use by captive pigtailed macaques
- Benjamin B. Beck
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A group of pigtailed macaques was given the opportunity to use a rod to reach otherwise unavailable food. Initial solution by one group member resulted from trial and error but subsequent solutions by others were accelerated by three types of observation learning: social facilitation, stimulus enhancement, and imitative copying. The greater capacity of macaques for observation learning may explain the greater incidence of tool behavior and subcultural phenomena among macaques than among other cercopithecines.
- Beck, B., 1967. A study of problem solving by gibbons.Behaviour, 28: 95–109.
- ————, 1972. Tool use in captive hamadryas baboons.Primates, 13: 276–296. CrossRef
- ————, 1973a. Observation learning of tool use by captive Guinea baboons (Papio papio).Amer. J. Phys. Anthrop., 38: 579–582. CrossRef
- ————, 1973b. Cooperative tool use by captive hamadryas baboons.Science, 182: 594–597.
- ————, 1974. Baboons, chimpanzees, and tools.J. Hum. Ev., 3: 509–516.
- ----, in press. Primate tool behavior. In:Antecedents of Man and After, III: Primate Socioecology and Psychology,R. Tuttle (ed.), Mouton, The Hague.
- Carpenter, A., 1887. Monkeys opening oysters.Nature, 36: 53.
- Chiang, M., 1967. Use of tools by wild macaque monkeys in Singapore.Nature, 214: 1258–1259.
- Darby, C. &A. Riopelle, 1959. Observational learning in the rhesus monkey.J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol., 52: 94–98.
- Eaton, G., 1972. Snowball construction by a feral troop of Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata) living under seminatural conditions.Primates, 13: 411–414. CrossRef
- Hall, K. &M. Goswell, 1964. Aspects of social learning in captive patas monkeys.Primates, 5: 59–70. CrossRef
- Itani, J. &A. Nishimura, 1973. The study of infrahuman culture in Japan. In:Precultural Primate Behavior,E. Menzel (ed.), Karger, Basel, pp. 26–50.
- Kawai, M., 1965. Newly-acquired pre-cultural behavior of the natural troop of Japanese monkeys on Koshima Islet.Primates, 6: 1–30. CrossRef
- Kawamura, S., 1959. The process of sub-culture propagation among Japanese macaques.Primates, 2: 43–60. CrossRef
- van Lawick-Goodall, J., H. van Lawick, &C. Packer, 1973. Tool-use in free-living baboons in the Gombe National Park, Tanzania.Nature, 241: 212–213. CrossRef
- Marais, E., 1969.The Soul of the Ape. Atheneum, New York.
- Meyers, W., 1970. Observational learning in monkeys.J. Exp. Anal. Behav., 14: 225–235.
- Spence, K., 1937. Experimental studies of learning and the higher mental processes in infrahuman primates.Psych. Bull., 34: 806–850.
- Stephenson, G., 1967. Cultural acquisition of a specific learned responese among rhesus monkeys. In:Neue Ergebnisse der Primatologie,D. Starck,R. Schneider, &H. Kuhn (eds.), Gustav Fischer, Stuttgart, pp. 279–288.
- Tool use by captive pigtailed macaques
Volume 17, Issue 3 , pp 301-310
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Benjamin B. Beck (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Chicago Zoological Park, 60513, Brookfield, Illinois, USA