Observations on the meat-eating behavior of wild bonobos (Pan paniscus) at Wamba, Republic of Zaire
- Hiroshi Ihobe
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Meat-eating behavior of wild bonobos (Pan paniscus) was witnessed on two occasions at Wamba, Republic of Zaire. Only flying squirrels were observed to be eaten by the bonobos. Several bonobos gathered around the possessor of the meat and showed interest in the meat on all occasions. Begging behavior was noted on one of the two occasions, but the possessor of the meat ignored it. No sharing of meat was seen on either occasion. The exclusive targets of hunting by bonobos are apparently small mammals, such as flying squirrels and infant duikers, since evidence of meat eating by wild bonobos, which have been studied for more than fifteen years, has been restricted to these mammals. The bonobos at Wamba may have a specialized “prey image”, as in the case of the chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) of the Tai forest, and certain medium-sized or small mammals may not conform to this image.
- Badrian, N. &R. Malenky, 1984. Feeding ecology ofPan paniscus in the Lomako Forest, Zaire. In:The Pygmy Chimpanzees: Evolutionary Biology and Behavior,R. L. Susman (ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 275–299.
- Boesch, C. &H. Boesch, 1989. Hunting behavior of wild chimpanzees in the Tai National Park.Amer. J. Phys. Anthropol., 78: 547–573. CrossRef
- Furuichi, T., 1987. Sexual swelling, receptivity, and grouping of wild pygmy chimpanzee females at Wamba, Zaire.Primates, 28: 309–318. CrossRef
- Goodall, J., 1986.The Chimpanzees of Gombe: Patterns of Behavior. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge.
- Idani, G., 1990. The Luo Reserve of pygmy chimpanzees in Wamba, Zaire.Africa Kenkyu, 37: 65–74. (in Japanese)
- Ihobe, H., 1990a. Interspecific interactions between wild pygmy chimpanzees (Pan paniscus) and red colobus (Colobus badius).Primates, 31: 109–112. CrossRef
- ----, 1990b. Interspecific relationships between bonobos and several arboreal monkeys at Wamba, Republic of Zaire. Paper presented at the 27th Annual Meeting of the Japan Association for African Studies.
- Kano, T., 1980. Social behavior of wild pygmy chimpanzees (Pan paniscus) of Wamba: a preliminary report.J. Human Evol., 9: 243–260.
- ———— &M. Mulavwa, 1984. Feeding ecology of the pygmy chimpanzees (Pan paniscus) of Wamba. In:The Pygmy Chimpanzees: Evolutionary Biology and Behavior,R. L. Susman (ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 233–274.
- Kuroda, S., 1984. Interaction over food among pygmy chimpanzees. In:The Pygmy Chimpanzees: Evolutionary Biology and Behavior,R. L. Susman (ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 301–324.
- Takahata, Y., T. Hasegawa, &T. Nishida, 1984. Chimpanzee predation in the Mahale Mountains from August 1979 to May 1982.Int. J. Primatol., 5: 213–233.
- Teleki, G., 1973.The Predatory Behavior of Wild Chimpanzees. Bucknell Univ. Press, Lewisburg.
- Observations on the meat-eating behavior of wild bonobos (Pan paniscus) at Wamba, Republic of Zaire
Volume 33, Issue 2 , pp 247-250
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Pan paniscus
- Meat eating
- Hiroshi Ihobe (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University, Inuyama, 484, Aichi, Japan