New record of predatory behavior by the mandrill in Cameroon
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The predatory behavior of the mandrill (Mandrillus sphinx,Linnaeus 1758), a forestliving baboon, on the bay duiker (Cephalophus dorsalis,Gray 1864) was observed under natural conditions. In the predatory episode, at least two mandrills (one adult female and one adult male) attacked a bay duiker, but no overt aggressive interactions between the attackers occurred during consumption. The estimated predation pattern based on scars—intensive attacking of the head and pulling of the hind legs to eat the thigh muscles first—resembled the predation patterns of captive mandrills observed experimentally. The findings suggest that the predatory behavior is established in mandrills as a feeding behavior pattern as in savanna-living baboons. New data are thus presented which are relevant to the discussion of the origins of hunting behavior in early hominids.
- Badrian, N. &R. K. Malenky, 1984. Feeding ecology ofPan paniscus in the Lomako Forest, Zaïre. In:The Pygmy Chimpanzee: Evolutionary Morphology and Behavior,R. L. Susman (ed.), Plenum, New York, pp. 275–299.
- Butynsky, T. M., 1982. Blue monkey (Cercopithecus mitis stuhlmanni) predation on galagos.Primates, 23: 563–566.
- Dart, R. A., 1963. The carnivorous propensity of baboons.Symp. Zool. Soc., Lond., 10: 49–56.
- DeVore, I. &S. L. Washburn, 1963. Baboon ecology and human evolution. In:African Ecology and Human Evolution,F. C. Howell &F. Bourilière (eds.), Aldine Publishing Co., Chicago, pp. 335–367.
- Harding, R. S. O., 1975. Meat-eating and hunting baboons. In:Socioecology and Psychology of Primates,R. H. Tuttle (ed.), Mouton, The Hague, pp. 245–257.
- Hausfater, G., 1975. Predatory behavior of yellow baboons.Behaviour, 56: 44–68.
- Hill, O. W. C., 1970.Primates Comparative Anatomy and Taxonomy. VIII CHINOPITHECINAE. Papio, Mandrillus, Theopithecus. Edinburgh Univ. Press.
- Hoshino, J., 1985. Feeding ecology of madrills (Mandrillus sphinx) in Campo Animal Reserve, Cameroon.Primates.
- ————,A. Mori, H. Kudo &M. Kawai, 1984. Preliminary report on the grouping of mandrills (Mandrillus sphinx) in Cameroon.Primates, 25: 295–307. CrossRef
- Jouventin, P., 1975. Observations sur la socio-ecologie du mandrills.La Terre et la Vie, 29: 493–532.
- Kiley, M., 1972. The vocalizations of ungulates, their causation and function.Z. Tierpsychol., 31: 171–222.
- Kummer, H., 1968.The Social Organization of Hamadryas Baboons. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- McGrew, W. C., E.G. Tutin, P. J. Baldwin, M. J. Sharman &A. Whiten, 1978. Primates preying upon vertebrates: New records from West Africa.Carnivore, 1(3): 41–45.
- Oakley, K. P., 1961. On man's use of fire, with comments on tool-making and hunting. In:Social Life of Early Man,S. L. Washburn, (ed.), Aldine Publishing Co., Chicago, pp. 176–193.
- Sabater Pí, J., 1972. Contribution to the ecology ofMandrillus sphinx of Rio Muni (Republic of Equatorial Guinea).Folia Primatol., 17: 304–319.
- Steklis, H. D. &G. E. King, 1978. The craniocervical killing bite: Toward an ethology of primate predatory behavior.J. Human Evol., 7: 567–581.
- Sugiyama, Y., 1981. Observations on the population dynamics and behavior of wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea, in 1979–1980.Primates, 22: 435–444. CrossRef
- Suzuki, A., 1975. The origin of human hunting: A primatological perspective. In:Socioecology and Psychology of Primates,R. H. Tuttle (ed.), Mouton, The Hague, pp. 259–278.
- Teleki, G., 1973.The Predatory Behavior of Wild Chimpanzees. Bucknell Univ. Press, Lewisburg.
- ————, 1975. Primate subsistance patterns: Collector-predators and gatherer-hunters.J. Human Evol., 4: 125–184.
- Wilson, P. J., 1980.Man, The Promising Primate—The Conditions of Human Evolution. Yale Univ. Press, London.
- New record of predatory behavior by the mandrill in Cameroon
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 161-167
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Predatory behavior
- Mandrillus sphinx
- Forest-living baboon
- Bay duiker