Female life history and mating patterns among the M group chimpanzees of the Mahale national park, Tanzania
- Hiroyuki Takasaki
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The mating behavior of receptive females in the M group chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) of the Mahale Mountains, western Tanzania, was studied by intensive sampling over a period of 5 months. Restrictive matings were observed only between parous females mostly in the ovulatory stage and prime adult males, in particular the alpha. Young, nulliparous and/or non-ovulatory females tended to mate with immature or low-ranking adult males. By contrast, older, parous and/or ovulatory females tended to mate with adult and higher-ranking males. These confirmed the results of a previous extensive study of the same group. In addition, gradual shift from opportunistic to restrictive matings after inter-unit-group transfer was revealed for 2 ex-K-group parous females. The findings were discussed in relation to the life history of female chimpanzees.
- Altmann, J., 1974. Observational study of behavior: Sampling methods.Behaviour, 49: 227–267.
- Bygott, J. D., 1979. Agonistic behavior, dominance and social structure in wild chimpanzees of the Gombe National Park. In:The Great Apes,D. A. Hamburg &E. R. McCown (eds.), Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park, pp. 405–427.
- Goodall, J., 1965. Chimpanzees of the Gombe Stream Reserve. In:Primate Behavior,I. DeVore (ed.), Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New York, pp. 425–473.
- ————, 1968. The behaviour of free-living chimpanzees in the Gombe Stream Reserve.Anim. Behav. Monogr., 1: 161–311.
- ————, 1983. Population dynamics during a 15-year period in one community of free-living chimpanzees in the Gombe National Park, Tanzania.Z. Tierpsychol., 61: 1–60.
- Graham, C. E. (ed.), 1981.Reproductive Biology of the Great Apes. Academic Press, New York.
- Hasegawa, T. &M. Hiraiwa-Hasegawa, 1983. Opportunistic and restrictive matings among wild chimpanzees in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania.J. Ethol., 1: 75–85. CrossRef
- Hiraiwa-Hasegawa, M., T. Hasegawa &T. Nishida, 1984. Demographic study of a large-sized unit-group of chimpanzees in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania.Primates, 25: 401–413. CrossRef
- Itani, J., 1980. Social structure of African great apes.J. Reprod. Fertil., Suppl., 28: 13–31.
- Kawanaka, K., 1981. Infanticide and cannibalism in chimpanzees, with special reference to the newly observed case in the Mahale Mountains.Afr. Stud. Monogr., 1: 69–99.
- ————, 1982. A case of inter-unit-group encounter in chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains.Primates, 23: 558–562.
- ————, 1984. Association, ranging and social unit in chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania.Int. J. Primatol., 5: 411–434.
- ———— &T. Nishida, 1975. Recent advances in the study of inter-unit-group relationships and social structure of wild chimpanzees of the Mahali Mountains. In:Proceed. Symp. 5th Congr. Int. Primatol. Soc.,S. Kondo,M. Kawai,A. Ehara &S. Kawamura (eds.), Japan Science Press, Tokyo, pp. 173–189.
- Kortlandt, A., 1962. Chimpanzees in the wild.Sci. Amer., 206: 128–138.
- McGinnis, P. R., 1979. Sexual behaviour in free-living chimpanzees: Consort relationships. In:The Great Apes,D. A. Hamburg &E. R. McCown (eds.), Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park, pp. 429–439.
- Nishida, T., 1968. The social group of wild chimpanzees in the Mahali Mountains.Primates, 9: 167–224. CrossRef
- ————, 1979. The social structure of chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains. In:The Great Apes,D. A. Hamburg &E. R. McCown (eds.), Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park, pp. 73–121.
- ————, 1983. Alpha status and agonistic alliance in wild chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii).Primates, 24: 318–336. CrossRef
- ———— &K. Kawanaka, 1972. Inter-unit-group relationships among wild chimpanzees of the Mahali Mountains.Kyoto Univ. Afr. Stud., 7: 131–169.
- ————,M. Hiraiwa-Hasegawa, T. Hasegawa &Y. Takahata, 1985. Group extinction and female transfer in wild chimpanzees of the Mahale National Park, Tanzania.Z. Tierpsychol., 67: 284–301.
- Nissen, H. W. &R. M. Yerkes, 1943. Reproduction in the chimpanzee: Report on forty-nine births.Anat. Rec., 86: 567–578. CrossRef
- Norikoshi, K., 1982. One observed case of cannibalism among wild chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains.Primates, 23: 66–74. CrossRef
- Pusey, A., 1979. Intercommunity transfer of chimpanzees of Gombe National Park. In:The Great Apes,D. A. Hamburg &E. R. McCown (eds.), Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park, pp. 465–479.
- Reynolds, V. &F. Reynolds, 1965. Chimpanzees of the Budongo Forest. In:Primate Behavior,I. DeVore (ed.), Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New York, pp. 368–424.
- Sugiyama, Y., 1969. Social behavior of chimpanzees in the Budongo Forest, Uganda.Primates, 10: 197–225. CrossRef
- Tutin, C. E. G., 1979. Mating patterns and reproductive strategies in a community of wild chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii).Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol., 6: 29–38. CrossRef
- ————, 1980. Reproductive behaviour of wild chimpanzees in the Gombe National Park, Tanzania.J. Reprod. Fertil., Suppl., 28: 43–57.
- ———— &P. R. McGinnis, 1981. Sexuality of the chimpanzee in the wild. In:Reproductive Biology of the Great Apes,C. E. Graham (ed.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 239–264.
- Uehara, S., 1981. The social unit of wild chimpanzees: A reconsideration based on the diachronic data accumulated at Kasoje in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania.Africa-Kenkyu, 20: 15–32.
- Wrangham, R. W., 1979. Sex differences in chimpanzee dispersion. In:The Great Apes,D. A. Hamburg &E. R. McCown (eds.), Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park, pp. 481–489.
- ———— &B. B. Smuts, 1980. Sex differences in the behavioural ecology of chimpanzees in the Gombe National Park, Tanzania.J. Reprod. Fertil., Suppl., 28: 33–41.
- Wolf, K. &S. R. Schulman, 1984. Male response to “stranger” females as a function of female reproductive value among chimpanzees.Amer. Naturalist, 123: 163–174. CrossRef
- Female life history and mating patterns among the M group chimpanzees of the Mahale national park, Tanzania
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 121-129
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii
- Chimpanzee female
- Female life history
- Sexual behavior
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory of Human Evolution Studies, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo-ku, 606, Kyoto, Japan