A comparison of the mating behavior of adolescent and adult female rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta)
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study compares adult and adolescent female rhesus macaques with regard to (1) characteristics of their copulatory partners, (2) their proceptive behaviors, and (3) adult male behaviors toward them during estrus. We conducted focal follows of 24 adolescent and 65 adult free-ranging estrous female rhesus macaques on Cayo Santiago during two mating seasons. Compared to adult females, adolescents presented sexually to males at higher rates; copulated more frequently with rankless young male, and extra-group males; and, in one of two mating seasons, were ignored more frequently by males to whom they presented sexually. Adolescents tended to copulate with ranked, resident males at higher frequencies on days when the operational sex ratio (adult males:estrous adult females) was high. Males directed “muzzle-up” signals to adolescents at lower rates than to adults in one of two mating seasons, although this effect vanished when males who might have fathered adolescent females were excluded from analysis. Adolescents did not differ consistently from adults in strength of the correlation between proximity maintenance (dyadic Hinde's Index) and copulation rate, or in approach rate to males. Adolescent females, relative to adult females, presented sexually more to rankless young males, but did not present more to ranked, resident males. Both proximate (e.g. endocrine) and ultimate (e.g. differential fecundity; female-female mate competition) explanations may account for the reported differences between adult and adolescent female rhesus macaque sexuality.
- Altmann, J., 1974. Observational study of behavior: sampling methods.Behaviour, 49: 227–265.
- Altmann, S. A., 1962. A field study of the sociobiology of rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta).Ann. NY Acad. Sci., 102: 338–435.
- Anderson, C., 1986. Female age: male preference and reproductive success in primates.Int. J. Primatol., 7: 305–326.
- Bielert, C. &L. Girolami, 1986. Experimental assessments of behavioral and anatomical components of female chacma baboon (Papio ursinus) sexual attractiveness.Psychoneuroendocrinology, 11: 75–90. CrossRef
- ————, ————, &C. Anderson, 1985. Male chacma baboons (Papio ursinus) sexual arousal: studies with adolescent and adult females as visual stimuli.Develop, Psychobiol., 19: 369–383.
- Catchpole, H. R. &G. van Wagenen, 1978. Reproduction in rhesus monkeys,Macaca mulatta. In:The Rhesus Monkey,G. H. Bourne (ed.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 118–139.
- Chapais, B., 1983. Reproductive activity in relation to male dominance and likelihood of ovulation in rhesus monkeys.Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol., 12: 215–228. CrossRef
- Datta, S. B., 1983. Relative power and the maintenance of dominance. In:Primate Social Relationships: An Integrated Approach,R. A. Hinde (ed.), Blackwell, Oxford, pp. 103–111.
- Foster, D. L., 1977. Luteinizing hormone and progesterone secretion during sexual maturation of the rhesus monkey: short luteal phases during the initial menstrual cycles.Biol. Reprod., 17: 584–590. CrossRef
- Glick, B., 1980. Ontogenetic and psychobiological aspects of the mating activities of maleMacaca radiata. In:The Macaques,D. Lindburg (ed.), Von Nostrand, New York, pp. 345–370.
- Goodall, J., 1986.The Chimpanzees of Gombe. Belknap, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Gordon, T. P., 1981. Reproductive behavior in the rhesus monkey: social and endocrinological variables.Amer. Zool., 21: 185–195.
- Halliday, T. R., 1983. The study of mate choice. In:Mate Choice,P. Bateson (ed.), Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, pp. 3–32.
- Hanby, J. P. &C. E. Brown, 1974. The development of sociosexual behaviours in Japanese macaquesMacaca fuscata.Behaviour, 49: 152–196.
- Hinde, R. A. &S. Atkinson, 1970. Assessing the roles of social partners in maintaining mutual proximity as exemplified by mother-infant relations in rhesus monkeys.Anim. Behav., 18: 169–176. CrossRef
- Lancaster, J., 1986. Human adolescence and reproduction: an evolutionary perspective. In:School Age Pregnancy and Parenthood: Biosocial Dimensions,J. Lancaster &B. Hamburg (eds.), Aldine, New York, pp. 17–37.
- Manson, J. H., 1992. Measuring female mate choice in Cayo Santiago rhesus macaques.Anim. Behav., 44: 405–416. CrossRef
- ————, 1994. Male aggression: a cost of female mate choice in Cayo Santiago rhesus macaques.Anim. Behav., 48: 473–475. CrossRef
- ———— &S. Perry, 1993. Inbreeding avoidance in rhesus macaques: whose choice?Amer. J. Phys. Anthropol., 90: 335–344. CrossRef
- Packer, C., 1979. Inter-troop transfer and inbreeding avoidance inPapio anubis.Anim. Behav., 27: 1–36.
- Pusey, A., 1978. The physical and social development of wild adolescent chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii). Ph.D. Diss., Stanford Univ., California.
- Ransom, T. W., 1981.Beach Troop of the Gombe. Bucknell Univ. Press, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.
- Rasmussen, K. L. R., 1983. Age-related variation in interactions of yellow baboons. In:Primate Social Relationships: An Integrated Approach,R. A. Hinde (ed.), Blackwell, Oxford, pp. 47–52.
- Rawlins, R. G. &M. Kessler, 1986. The history of the Cayo Santiago colony. In:The Cayo Santiago Macaques,R. G. Rawlins &M. J. Kessler (eds.), SUNY Press, Albany, pp. 13–45.
- Sade, D. S., B. D. Chepko-Sade, J. M. Schneider, S. S. Roberts, &J. T. Richtsmeier, 1985.Basic Demographic Observations on Free-ranging Rhesus Monkeys. HRAF Press, New Haven, Connecticut.
- Scott, L. M., 1984. Reproductive behavior of adolescent female baboons (Papio anubis) in Kenya. In:Female Primates: Studies by Women Primatologists,M. Small (ed.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 77–100.
- Smuts, B. B., 1985.Sex and Friendship in Baboons. Aldine, Hawthorne, New York.
- ———— &R. W. Smuts, 1992. Male aggression and sexual coercion of females in nonhuman primates and other mammals: evidence and theoretical implications. In:Advances in the Study of Behavior, Vol. 22,P. J. B. Slater,J. S. Rosenblatt,M. Milinski, &C. T. Snowdon (eds.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 1–63.
- Snedecor, G. W. &W. G. Cochran, 1989.Statistical Methods. (8th ed.), Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames, Iowa.
- van Noordwijk, M. A., 1985. Sexual behaviour of Sumatran long-tailed macaques (Macaca fascicularis),Z. Tierpsychol., 70: 277–296.
- Watts, D. P., 1990. Mountain gorilla reproduction and social behavior.Amer. J. Primatol., 24: 211–225.
- Wilson, M. E., T. P. Gordon, &D. C. Collins, 1982. Age differences in copulatory behavior and serum 17β-estradiol in female rhesus monkeys.Physiol. Behav., 28: 733–737. CrossRef
- Wolfe, L., 1978. Age and sexual behavior of Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata).Arch. Sex. Behav., 7: 55–68. CrossRef
- A comparison of the mating behavior of adolescent and adult female rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta)
Volume 36, Issue 1 , pp 27-39
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Sexual behavior
- Macaca mulatta
- Cayo Santiago