Weed control using allelopathic sunflowers and herbicide
- Gerald R. Leather
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Field studies were conducted to determine if season long weed control could be achieved by combining the use of an herbicide with the natural allelochemicals produced by cultivated sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.). The weed biomass was reduced equally in plots planted with sunflowers, whether or not the herbicide was applied in each of 4 years. Weed control diminished the second year in all plots that received the same treatments as had been applied the previous year. This diminished efficacy was attributed to reduced emergence of sunflower (13.5 to 45.2 percent) in second-year plots, as a result of autotoxicity from sunflower crop residues remaining after the first-year harvest.
- Altieri M A and Doll J D 1978 The potential of allelopathy as a tool for weed management in crop fields. PANS 24, 495–502.
- Bhowmik P C and Doll J D 1982 Corn and soybean response to allelopathic effects of weed and crop residues. Agron. J. 74, 601–602.
- Bhowmik P C and Doll J D 1984 Allelopathic effects of annual weed residues on growth and nutrient uptake of corn and soybeans. Agron. J. 76, 383–388.
- Chou C-H and Lin H-J 1976 Autointoxication mechanism ofOryza sativa. I. Phytotoxic effects of decomposing rice residues in soil. J. Chem. Ecol. 2, 353–367.
- Cochran V L, Elliott L F and Papendick R I 1977 The production of phytotoxins from surface crop residues. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 41, 903–908.
- Cooper W S and Stoesz A D 1931 The subterranean organs ofHelianthus scaberrimus. Bull. Torrey Bot. Club 58, 67–72.
- Curtis J T and Cottam G 1950 Antibiotic and autotoxic effects in prairie sunflower. Bull. Torrey Bot. Club 77, 187–191.
- Einhellig F A 1985 Effects of allelopathic chemicals on crop productivity. pp 109–130In Bioregulators for Pest Control. Ed. P Hedin. A C S Symposium Series 276. Am. Chem. Soc. Washington D C.
- Goldsmith F B and Harrison C M 1976 Description and analysis of vegetation.In Methods in Plant Ecology Ed. SB Chapman pp 85–155. Halsted Press. John Wiley and Sons. New York.
- Hall A B, Blum U and Fites R C 1982 Stress modification of allelopathy ofHelianthus annuus L. debris on seed germination. Am. J. Bot. 69, 776–783.
- Irons S M and Burnside O C 1982 Competitive and allelopathic effects of sunflower (Helianthus annuus). Weed Sci. 30, 372–377.
- Koeppe D E, Southwick L M and Bittell J E 1976 The relationship of tissue chlorogenic acid concentrations and leaching of phenolics from sunflowers grown under varying phosphate nutrient conditions. Can. J. Bot. 54, 593–599.
- Leather G R 1983 Sunflowers (Helianthus annuus) are allelopathic to weeds. Weed Sci. 31, 37–42.
- Leather G R 1983 Weed control using allelopathic crop plants. J. Chem. Ecol. 9, 983–989. CrossRef
- Menges R M and Tamez S 1981 Common sunflower (Helianthus annuus) interference in onions (Allium cepa). Weed Sci. 29, 641–647.
- Nelson S H and Fedec P 1982 Inhibitory effects of confection sunflower hulls. HortScience 17, 887–888.
- Putnam A R and Duke W B 1978 Allelopathy in agroecosystems. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 16, 431–451. CrossRef
- Putnam A R, Defrank J and Barnes J P 1983 Exploitation of allelopathy for weed control in annual and perennial cropping systems. J. Chem. Ecol. 9, 1001–1010. CrossRef
- Schon M K and Einhellig F A 1982 Allelopathic effects of cultivated sunflower on grain sorghum. Bot. Gaz. 143, 505–510. CrossRef
- Wilson R E and Rice E L 1968 Allelopathy as expressed byHelianthus annuus and its role in old-field succession. Bull. Torrey Bot. Club 95, 432–448.
- Weed control using allelopathic sunflowers and herbicide
Plant and Soil
Volume 98, Issue 1 , pp 17-23
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Sunflower yield
- Weed biomass
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Foreign Disease-Weed Science Research, USDA-ARS, Bldg. 1301, Fort Detrick, 21701, Frederick, MD, USA