Tool-assisted predation on a squirrel by a female chimpanzee in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A 12-year-old female chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) of M-Group in the Mahale Mountains National Park, Tanzania was seen to rouse, capture, and eat a squirrel hiding in the narrow hole of a tree. The kill was aided by the use of a sturdy tool modified from a branch of the same tree. This appears to be the first reported case for chimpanzees, or any other nonhuman primate, of tool-use that directly led to the capture of a mammalian prey species. This behavior is discussed in relation to possible factors contributing to the occurrence of tool-use in small mammal predation especially by females to exploit a low competition meat source.
- Boesch, C. &H. Boesch, 1984. Possible causes of sex differences in the use of natural hammers by wild chimpanzees.J. Human Evol., 13: 415–440.
- ———— & ————, 1989. Hunting behavior of wild chimpanzees in the Tai National Park.Amer. J. Phys. Anthropol., 78: 547–573. CrossRef
- ———— & ————, 1990. Tool use and tool making in wild chimpanzees.Folia Primatol., 54: 86–99.
- Brewer, S. M. &W. C. McGrew, 1990. Chimpanzee use of a tool-set to get honey.Folia Primatol., 54: 100–104.
- Goodall, J., 1963. The feeding behavior of wild chimpanzees. A preliminary report.Symp. of the Zoological Soc. of London, 10: 39–47.
- ————, 1980. Tool-using in primates and other vertebrates. In:Advances in the Study of Behavior. Vol. 3,D. S. Lehrman,R. A. Hinde, &E. Shaw (eds.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 195–429.
- ————, 1986.The Chimpanzees of Gombe. Patterns of Behavior. Belknap Press of Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Haltenorth, T. &H. Diller, 1980.A Field Guide to the Mammals of Africa Including Madagascar, William Collins & Sons, London.
- Huffman, M. A. &D. Quiatt, 1986. Stone handling by Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata): Implications for tool use of stone.Primates, 27: 413–423. CrossRef
- Jones, C. &J. Sabater Pi, 1969. Sticks use by chimpanzees in Rio Muni, West Africa.Nature, 223: 100–101.
- Kawanaka, K., 1990. Age differences in ant-eating by adult and adolescent males. In:The Chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains. Sexual and Life History Strategies,T. Nishida (ed.), Univ. of Tokyo Press, Tokyo, pp. 207–236.
- Matsuzawa, T., 1991. Nesting cups and meta-tool in chimpanzees.Behav. Brain Sci., 14: 570–571.
- McGrew, W. C., 1979. Evolutionary implications of sex differences in chimpanzee predation and tool use. In:The Great Apes,D. A. Hamburg &E. R. McCown (eds.), Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park, California, pp. 440–463.
- Nishida, T., 1973. The ant-gathering behavior by the use of tools among wild chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains.J. Human Evol., 2: 357–370.
- ————, 1977. Chimpanzee anting behavior and its eco-evolutionary implications. In:Anthropology, Vol. 12, Ecology,H. Watanabe (ed.), Yuzankaku Press, Tokyo, pp. 55–84.
- ————, 1990. A quarter century of research in the Mahale Mountains: An overview. In:The Chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains. Sexual and Life History Strategies,T. Nishida (ed.), Univ. of Tokyo Press, Tokyo, pp. 3–35.
- ————,T. Hasegawa, H. Hayaki, Y. Takahata, &S. Uehara, 1992. Meat-sharing as a coalition strategy of an alpha male chimpanzee? In:Symposium Proceeding XII International Primatological Society, Vol. 1. Human Origins,T. Nishida,W. C. McGrew,P. Marler,M. Pickford, &F. B. M. de Waal (eds.), Univ. of Tokyo Press, Tokyo, pp. 159–174.
- ———— &M. Hiraiwa, 1982. Natural history of a tool-using behaviour by wild chimpanzees in feeding upon wood-boring ants.J. Human Evol., 11: 73–99.
- ————, &S. Uehara, 1983. Natural diet of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii): Long-term record from the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania.Afr. Study Monogr., 3: 109–130.
- ————, ————, &R. Nyundo, 1979. Predatory behavior among wild chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains.Primates, 20: 1–20.
- Plooji, F. X., 1978. Tool use during chimpanzees' bushpig hunt.Carnivore, 1: 103–106.
- Sugiyama, Y., 1989. Description of some characteristic behaviors and discussion on their propagation process among chimpanzees of Bossou, Guinea. In:Behavioral Studies of Wild Chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea.Y. Sugiyama (ed.), Kyoto Univ. Primate Research Institute, Inuyama, pp. 43–76.
- ————,J. Koman, &M. B. Sow, 1988. Ant-catching wands of wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea.Folia Primatol., 51: 56–60.
- Takahata, Y., T. Hasegawa, &T. Nishida, 1984. Chimpanzee predation in the Mahale Mountains from August 1979 to May 1982.Int. J. Primatol., 5: 213–233.
- Teleki, G., 1973.The Predatory Behavior of Wild Chimpanzees. Buchnell Univ. Press, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.
- Uehara, S., 1986. Sex and group differences in feeding on animals by wild chimpanzees in the Mahale Mountains National Park, Tanzania.Primates, 27: 1–13.
- ————,T. Nishida, M. Hamai, T. Hasegawa, H. Hayaki, M. A. Huffman, S. Kobayashi, K. Kawanaka, H. Takasaki, Y. Takahata, T. Tsukahara, &J. Mitani, 1992. Characteristics of Predation by the chimpanzees in the Mahale Mountains National Park, Tanzania. In:Symposium Proceeding XII International Primatological Society, Vol. 1. Human Origins,T. Nishida,W. C. McGrew,P. Marler,M. Pickford, &F. B. M. de Waal (eds.), Univ. of Tokyo Press, Tokyo, pp. 143–158.
- Wrangham, R. W. &E. van Zinnicq Bergmann Riss, 1990. Rates of predation on mammals by Gombe chimpanzees, 1972–1975.Primates, 31: 157–170. CrossRef
- Yamagiwa, J., T. Yumoto, M. Ndunda, &T. Maruhashi, 1988. Evidence of tool-use by chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) for digging out a bee-nest in the Kahuzi-Biega National Park, Zaire.Primates, 29: 405–411.
- Tool-assisted predation on a squirrel by a female chimpanzee in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 93-98
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Pan troglodytes
- Adolescent female