A field study on the vocalizations of Goeldi's monkeys (Callimico goeldii)
- Nobuo Masataka
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The vocalizations ofCallimico goeldii inhabiting North Bolivia were recorded and analyzed. A total vocal repertoire of 40, including two ultrasonic vocalizations, was recognized. The situation in which each vocalization was emitted is described. The phonetic structure of the longdistance location calls varied precisely dependent on the interindividual distances, while distinct individual variations were seen in the short-distance location calls. Every agonistic call could grade into another, from that reflecting the most aggressive tendency to that of fear emotion. The repertoire and characteristics of the infantile calls are also described, and their ontogeny is discussed.
- Christen, A., 1974. Fortpflanzungsbiologie und Verhalten beiCebuella pygmaea undTamarin tamarin (Primates, Platyrrhina: Callithricidae).Fortsch. Verhal. Forsch. Beiheft, Z. Tierpsychol., 14: 1–78.
- Epple, G., 1968. Comparative studies on vocalization in marmoset monkeys (Hapaliadae).Folia Primatol., 8: 1–40.
- Masataka, N., 1981a. A field study of the social behavior of Goeldi's monkeys (Callimico goeldii) in North Bolivia. I. Group composition, breeding cycle and infant development. In:Kyoto Univ. Overseas Research Report of New World Monkeys, II, Primate Research Institute, Kyoto Univ, Inuyama, pp. 23–32.
- ————, 1981b. A field study of the social behavior of Goeldi's monkeys (Callimico goeldii) in North Bolivia. II. Grouping pattern and intragroup relationship. In:Kyoto Univ. Overseas Research Report of New World Monkeys, II, Primate Research Institute, Kyoto Univ., Inuyama, pp. 33–41.
- Moody, M. &E. W. Menzel, 1976. Vocalizations and their behavioral context in the tamarinSaguinus fuscicollis.Folia Primatol., 25: 73–94.
- Moynihan, M., 1970. Some behavior patterns of Platyrrhine monkeys. II.Saguinus geoffroyi and some other tamarins.Smithson. Contrib. Zool., 28: 1–77.
- Pola, Y. V. &C. T. Snowdon, 1975. The vocalizations of pygmy marmosets (Cebuella pygmaea).Anim. Behav., 23: 826–842. CrossRef
- Rowell, T. E., 1962. Agonistic noise of the rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta).Symp. Zool. Soc. London, 8: 91–96.
- Sales, G. &D. Pye, 1974.Ultrasonic Communication by Animals. Chapman & Hall, London.
- A field study on the vocalizations of Goeldi's monkeys (Callimico goeldii)
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 206-219
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Nobuo Masataka (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Ethology, Faculty of Human Sciences, Osaka University, Yamadaoka 1–2, Suita-shi, 565, Osaka, Japan