Some notes on fig-eating by arboreal mammals in Malaysia
- Frank Lambert
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
During a study of avian fig-eating at Kuala Lompat, Malaysia, observations were also made of fig-eating by mammals. Four species of primate, seven species of squirrel, and two species of civet consumed figs. Twenty-six species ofFicus were of importance to arboreal mammals. Observations suggest that there were differences in the importance of figs in the diets of sympatric langurs (Presbytis) and congeneric squirrels. Dusky langursPresbytis obscura ate carbohydrate-rich ripe figs despite their ruminant-like digestive system and the danger of bloat.
- Bauchop, T., 1978. Digestion of leaves in vertebrate arboreal folivores. In:The Ecology of Arboreal Folivores,G. G. Montgomery (ed.), Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C., pp. 193–204.
- Bennett, E. L., 1983. “The banded langur; ecology of a colobine in West Malaysian rain forest. Unpubl. Ph.D. thesis, Cambridge Univ., Cambridge.
- Chivers, D. J., 1974.The Siamang in Malaya; A Field Study of a Primate in Tropical Rain Forest. Contributions to Primatology Vol. 4, Karger, Basel.
- ————, 1980. (ed.).Malayan Forest Primates. Plenum Press, New York.
- Collins, L. &M. Roberts, 1978. Arboreal folivores in captivity-maintenance of a delicate minority. In:The Ecology of Arboreal Folivores,G. G. Montgomery (ed.), Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C., pp. 5–11.
- Curtin, S. H., 1976. Niche differentiation and social organisation in sympatric Malaysian colobines. Unpubl. Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of California, Berkeley.
- ————, 1980. Dusky and banded leaf monkeys. In:Malayan Forest Primates,D. J. Chivers (ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 107–146.
- ———— &D. J. Chivers, 1978. Leaf eating primates of Peninsular Malaysia: the siamang and the dusky leaf monkey. In:The Ecology of Arboreal Folivores,G. G. Montgomery (ed.), Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C., pp. 441–464.
- Davies, A. G., J. O. Caldecott, &D. J. Chivers, 1983. Natural foods as a guide to nutrition of Old World primates. In:Standards in Laboratory Animal Management,J. Remfry (ed.), Universities Federation of Animal Welfare, London, pp. 225–241.
- Gittins, S. P. &J. J. Raemaekers, 1980. Siamang, lar and agile gibbons. In:Malayan Forest Primates,D. J. Chivers (ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 63–106.
- Hungate, R. E., G. D. Phillips, A. McGregor, D. P. Hungate, &H. K. Buecher, 1959. Microbial fermentation in certain mammals.Science, 130: 1192–1194.
- Lambert, F. R., 1987. Fig-eating and seed dispersal by birds in a Malaysian lowland rain forest. Unpubl. Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of Aberdeen, Aberdeen.
- ----, 1989a. Fig-eating by birds in a Malaysian lowland rain forest.J. Trop. Ecol., 5(4).
- ----, 1989b. Fig-eating and seed dispersal by pigeons in a Malaysian lowland forest.Ibis, 131.
- Payne, J. B., 1979a. Synecology of Malayan tree squirrels with special reference to the genusRatufa. Unpubl. Ph.D. thesis, Cambridge Univ., Cambridge.
- ————, 1979b. Abundance of diurnal squirrels at the Kuala Lompat Post of the Krau Game Reserve, Peninsular Malaysia. In:The Abundance of Animals in Malesian Rain Forests,A. G. Marshall (ed.), Transactions of the VIth Aberdeen-Hull Symposium on Malesian Ecology. Institute for S. E. Asian Biology, Univ. of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, pp. 37–52.
- ————, 1980. Competitors. In:Malayan Forest Primates,D. J. Chivers (ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 261–278.
- Raemaekers, J. J., F. P. G. Aldrich-Blake, &J. B. Payne, 1980. The forest. In:Malayan Forest Primates,D. J. Chivers (ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 29–61.
- Vellayan, S., 1981. The nutritive value ofFicus in the diet of lar gibbon (Hylobates lar) in Malays.Appl. Biol., 10: 177–181.
- Some notes on fig-eating by arboreal mammals in Malaysia
Volume 31, Issue 3 , pp 453-458
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Frank Lambert (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Aberdeen, UK