Earth-fill work in the winter on the Saratov Hydroelectric station
- V. V. Nikiforov
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the winter time it was found possible to reduce the compaction requirements of the earth-fill work on the Saratov HES with satisfactory results. Attempts to impose more rigid requirements for some of the important structures led to negative results.
Earth-fill work during the winter must be regulated by the temperature regime and minimum conditions should be set up for each locality.
Winter work should be more exact and intensive in performance and requires added measures, such as warming of truckloads, clearing of snow, etc.
For any given specified density of fill, summer and winter work are different in the following respects:
Winter work results in lesser uniformity, due to a greater number of more closely spaced boundaries between fill blocks and compaction blocks.
Due to partial freezing even with normal compaction, winter fills will have alternate layers (or lenses) of frozen and unfrozen ground. These layers act as local water channels. In the spring and during winter thaws these layers are subject to irregular filling with water. In cases of frost recurrence the freezing causes an irregular pattern of partial decompaction of the soil.
- A. F. Vasil'ev, “Lowering Costs of Dams Built of Moraine Materials”, No. 9, September, 1960.
- N. I. Yakovleva, “Compaction of Earth Dams”, No. 6, June, 1962.
- S. I. Lyandres, “Earth Dams of Bratsk Hydroelectric Station”, No. 5, May, 1962.
- I. N. Gudaev, “Evaluations of Soil Conditions in Utility Fills”, No. 12, December, 1963.
- M. A. Kornyukhin, “Dam Built of Maraine Clays”, No. 2, February, 1964.
- L. S. Reifman, “Tests on Vibro-rolling of Loess Materials for Cores of High-head Earth Dams”, No. 8, August, 1964.
- R. M. Respublikanskii, I. É. Fradkin, and A. A. Ukhov, “Earthquake on the Volga-Baltic Canal”, No. 8, August, 1964.
- L. V. Gapeshina, Yu. L. Muratov, and I. A. Shneer, “Earth Dams of Uch-Kurgan Hydroelectric Station”, No. 7, July, 1965.
- O. M. Reznikov, “Criteria for Density of Sands under Foundations”, No. 2, February, 1966.
- S. N. Moiseev, “Winter Work in Rock and Gravel Fills for Dams”, No. 3, March, 1966.
- L. I. Kudoyarov and N. P. Borodin, “Data on Construction of Saratov Hydroelectric Station”, No. 4, April, 1966.
- Yu. D. Vidineev and B. S. Zalivadny, “Moisture Control in Earth Structures by Thermal Methods”, No. 12, December, 1966.
- A. I. Safronov, “Ground Compaction Equipment”, No. 1, January, 1967.
- N. F. Shchavelev and G. I. Kuznetsov, “Report of the Hydraulic Section of the Conference on Construction in Severe Climates”, No. 2, February, 1967.
- P. A. Bukin, “Dams of Moraine Earth-Fill at the Kovdin Rapids”, Nos. 2 and 4, February and April, 1968.
- Earth-fill work in the winter on the Saratov Hydroelectric station
Volume 2, Issue 7 , pp 577-579
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors