Effect of solarization of soil within plastic bags on root rot of gerbera (Gerbera jamesonii L.)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Solarization of soil, (potting mix = coarse sand:Eucalyptus marginata fines = 1∶1) infested with 3 fungi pathogenic to gerbera (Phytophthora cryptogea, Fusarium oxysporum andRhizoctonia solani), for 3 to 4 weeks within transparent polyethylene bags controlled root rot of gerbera. Solarization for 2 weeks however, was less effective. All plants grown in the infested potting mix which had been kept in shade for 2, 3 or 4 weeks were severely attacked.
Solarization of soil within plastic bags for 4 weeks also increased availability of nutrients such as NH4 +-N, PO4 − and K+ in comparison to bagged soil kept in the shade for the same period.
- Alexander M 1965In Methods of Soil Analysis Part 2. Eds. C A Blacket al. pp 1467–1472. American Society Agronomy, Madison, Wis.
- Chen Y and Katan J 1980 Soil Sci. 130, 271–277.
- Dawson J Ret al. 1965. Ann. Appl. Biol. 56, 243–251.
- Greenberger A.et al. 1984 proc. Sixth Cong. Mediter. Phytopathol. Union. Cairo Egypt, 112–114.
- Horiuchi S 1984 F.F.T.C. Book Series No. 26, Soilborne Crop Diseases in Asia. Food and Fertilizer Technology Center, Taiwan, 11–23.
- Horowitz M.,et al. 1983 Weed Sci. 31, 170–179.
- Kaewruang W.,et al. 1987 Plant Dis. 71, 1146.
- Kaewruang W.et al. 1988 Australas. Plant Pathol. 17, 67–68.
- Kaewruang, W.et al. 1989 Biol. Fertil. Soils (In press).
- Katan J 1981 Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 19, 211–236. CrossRef
- Lewis J A and Papavizas G C 1970 Soil Biol. Biochem. 2, 239–246. CrossRef
- Lewis J A and Papavizas G C 1971 Phytopathology 61, 208–214.
- Lewis J A and Papavizas G C 1974 Soil Sci. 118, 156–163.
- McKinney H A 1923 J. Agric. Sci. 26, 195–218.
- Newhall A G 1955 Bot. Rev. 21, 189–250.
- Pullman G Set al. 1981 Phytopathology 71, 959–964.
- Ramirez-Villapudua J and Munnecke D E 1987 Plant Dis. 71, 217–221.
- Rubin B and Benjamin A 1983 Weed Sci. 31, 819–825.
- Sonneveld C 1979In Soil Disinfestation. Ed. D Mulder. pp 39–49. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Stapleton J J and DeVay J E 1982 Phytopathology 72, 323–326.
- Stapleton J Jet al. 1985 Soil Biol. Biochem. 17, 369–373. CrossRef
- Warcup J H 1957 Soils Fert. 20, 1–5.
- Effect of solarization of soil within plastic bags on root rot of gerbera (Gerbera jamesonii L.)
Plant and Soil
Volume 120, Issue 2 , pp 303-306
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Fusarium oxysporum
- Gerbera jamesonii
- Phytophthora cryptogea
- root rot
- Rhizoctonia solani
- soil nutrients
- solarization in plastic bags
- Industry Sectors