Epidemiology of femoral neck fractures in 1989, niigata prefecture, Japan
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The incidence of the femoral neck fractures in 1989 was studied in Niigata Prefecture, which has a population of 2,481,441 (1,204,349 males and 12,277,092 females) as of January 1, 1989. The population over 65 years of age was 352,003, 12.5% of the total population (139,518 males and 212,485 females).
The authors visited all hospitals in Niigata Prefecture to study roentgenograms and records of patients. In order to cover possible neglected patients, questionnaires were sent to nursing homes and mental hospitals.
During 1989, there were 996 femoral neck fractures (259 males and 737 females, i.e., 1:2.85) the ratio of cervical and trochanteric fractures was 327:667 (1:2.04). The average age of these patients was 71.7 years for males and 77.7 years for females. The incidence over 65 years of age was 14.2 in males and 31.2 in females and that over 85 was 49.8 in males and 108 in females per 10,000 population per year.
- Kawashima, T. (1989) Epidemiology of the Femoral Neck Fracture in 1985, Niigata Prefecture, Japan. J. Bone Mineral Metab. 7: pp. 118-126
- Elabdien, B.S.Z., Olerud, S., Karlstrom, G., Smedby, B. (1984) Rising incidence of hip fracture in Uppsala, 1965–1980. Acta Orthop. Scand. 55: pp. 284-289
- Gallagher, J.C., Melton, L.J., Riggs, B.L., Bergstrath, E. (1980) Epidemiology of fracture of the proximal femur in Rochester, Minnesota. Clin. Orthop. 150: pp. 163-171
- Stoff, BHB, S., Gray, D.H., Stevenson, W. (1980) The incidence of femoral neck fracture in New Zealand. New Zealand Med. J. 9: pp. 6-9
- Yamamoto, K., Ogino, H., Nakamura, T., Nose, T. and Oshiro, H. : Epidemiology of femoral neck fracture in Tottori Prefecture. Silver Science Research, Report of 1989.:94–95, 1989. (in Japanese)
- Hashimoto, T., Tamaki, T., Danjoh, S., Kinoshita, H., and Kasamatsu, T.: Epidemiology of femoral neck fracture in Wakayama Prefecture. Silver Science, Report of 1990. : 129–130, 1990. (in Japanese)
- Epidemiology of femoral neck fractures in 1989, niigata prefecture, Japan
Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism
Volume 9, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 20-24
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Femoral neck fracture
- Industry Sectors