Soil respiration of Alaskan tundra at elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
CO2 efflux from tussock tundra in Alaska that had been exposed to elevated CO2 for 2.5 growing seasons was measured to assess the effect of long- and short-term CO2 enrichment on soil respiration. Long-term treatments were: 348, 514, and 683 μll−1 CO2 and 680 μll−1 CO2+4°C above ambient. Measurements were made at 5 CO2 concentrations between 87 and 680 μll−1 CO2. Neither long- or short-term CO2 enrichment significantly affected soil CO2 efflux. Tundra developed at elevated temperature and 680 μll−1 CO2 had slightly higher, but not statistically different, mean respiration rates compared to untreated tundra and to tundra under CO2 control alone.
- Baath Eet al. 1978 Oikos 31, 153–163.
- Billings W Det al. 1982 Oecologia (Berl) 53, 7–11. CrossRef
- Billings W Det al. 1984 Oecologia (Berl), 65, 26–29. CrossRef
- Cowling J E and Maclean S F 1981 Hol. Ecol. 4, 229–237.
- Kramer P J 1981 BioScience 31, 29–33.
- Luken J O and Billings W D, 1985 Hol. Ecol. 306–312.
- Manabe S and Wetherald R 1980 J. Atmos. Sci. 37, 99–118. CrossRef
- Miller P Cet al. 1983 Simulation 40, 119–131.
- Oechel W C and Blake-Jacobson M Ecolog. Model. (in review).
- Prudhomme T Iet al. 1984In The Potential Effects of Carbon Dioxide-induced Climatic Changes in Alaska: Proceedings of a Conference. Ed J H McBeath, University of Alaska-Fairbanks, pp 155–161.
- Riechers G Het al. (unpublished data).
- Stuart L and Miller P C 1982 Can. J. Soil Sci., 62, 495–502.
- Strotsky G and Goos R D 1964 Can. J. Microb 11, 853–868.
- Ulrich A and Gersper P L 1978In Vegetation and Production Ecology of an Alaskan Arctic Tundra. Ed L Tieszen. Springer Verlag, New York, pp 457–481.
- Soil respiration of Alaskan tundra at elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations
Plant and Soil
Volume 96, Issue 1 , pp 145-148
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Alaskan tundra
- CO2 enrichment
- Soil respiration
- Industry Sectors