Aluminum stress on sorghum growth and nutrient relationships
- K. Ohki
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Sorghum plants were grown in the greenhouse in modified Steinberg nutrient solution containing ten Al rates (0 to 297 μM) and harvested 28 days after transplanting. Top and root dry weight were not affected by added Al up to 74 μM; but decreased sharply at concentration of 148 μM and greater. Aluminum concentrations in blade 1 (recently matured blade) and plants remained constant from 0 to 297 μM added Al. Root Al concentration increased as added Al increased. No correlation existed between top dry weight and Al concentration in blade 1 or in plant. Root Al concentration was related to top dry weight and root dry weight to estimate the Al critical toxicity level. The Al critical toxicity levle in the root was 54 mmol kg−1 root dry weight basis for either top or root dry weight. In blade 1 Cu concentration negatively correlated with Al while Fe and P were positively correlated. In roots Ca, Mg, Mn and Fe concentrations were negatively correlated with Al while Zn, Cu, P, and K were positively correlated with Al concentration.
- Bollard E G 1983 Involvement of unusual elements in plant growth and nutrition. pp 695–744.In Inorganic Plant Nutrition, Encyclopedia of Plant Physiol. NS Vol. 15B. Eds. A Lauchli and R L Bieleski Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Clarkson D T 1965 The effect of aluminum and some other trivalent cations on cell division in root apicies ofAllium cepa. Ann. Bot. (London) N. S. 29, 309–315.
- Clarkson D T 1966 The effect of aluminum on the uptake and metabolism of phosphorus by barley seedling. Plant Physiol. 41, 165–172.
- Clarkson D T 1967 Interactions between aluminum and phosphorus on root surfaces and cell wall materials. Plant and Soil 27, 347–356. CrossRef
- Fageria N K and Carvalho J R P 1982 Influence of aluminum in nutrient solutions on chemical composition in upland rice cultivars. Plant and Soil 69, 31–44. CrossRef
- Foy C D 1984 Physiological effects of hydrogen, aluminum, and manganese toxicities in acid soil. pp 57–97.In Soil Acidity and Liming. Ed. F Adams ASA, CSSA, and SSSA, Madison, WI.
- Foy C D and Brown J C 1963 Toxic factors in acid soils. I. Characterization of aluminum toxicity in cotton. Soil Sci. Soc. Am Proc. 27, 403–407.
- Foy C D and Brown J C 1964 Toxic factors in acid soils. II. Differential aluminum tolerance of plant species. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 28, 27–32.
- Foy C D, Chaney R L and White M C 1978 The physiology of metal toxicity in plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. 29, 511–566. CrossRef
- Foy C D, Fleming A L and Armiger W J 1969 Aluminum tolerance of soybean varieties in relation to calcium nutrition. Agron. J. 61, 505–511.
- Foy C D, Fleming A L, Burns G R and Armiger W H 1967 Characterization of differential aluminum tolerance among varieties of wheat and barley. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 31, 513–521.
- Furlani P R and Clark R B 1981 Screening sorghum for aluminum tolerance in nutrient solution. Agron. J. 73, 587–594.
- Gupta U C, MacLeod J A and MacLeod J B 1973 Effects of aluminum, manganese, and lime on toxicity symptoms, nutrient composition, and yield of barley grown on a podzol soil. Plant and Soil 39, 413–421. CrossRef
- Hanson W D and Kamprath E J 1979 Selection for aluminum tolerance in soybeans based on seedling-root growth. Agron. J. 71, 581–586.
- Kerridge P C, Dawson M D and Moore D P 1971 Separation of degrees of aluminum tolerance in wheat. Agron. J. 63, 586–591.
- Kerridge P C and Kronstad W E 1968 Evidence of genetic resistance to aluminum toxicity in wheat (Triticum aestivum vill., Host). Agron. J. 60, 710–711.
- Konazak C F, Polk E and Kittrick J A 1976 Screening several crops for aluminum tolerance. pp 311–327.In Plant Adaptation to Mineral Stress in Problem Soils. Ed. M J Wright. Cornell Univ. Agric. Expt. Stn., Ithaca, Ny.
- Ligon W S and Pierre W H 1932 Soluble aluminum studies. II. Minimum concentrations found to be toxic to corn, sorghum, and barley in culture solutions. Soil Sci. 34, 307–321.
- MacLeod L B and Jackson L P 1967 Aluminum tolerance of two barley varieties in nutrient solution, peat and soil culture. Agron. J. 59, 359–363.
- Memon A R, Chino and Yatazawa M 1981 Microdistribution of aluminum and manganese in the tea leaf tissue as revealed by x-ray microanalyzer. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 12, 441–452.
- Moore D P, Kronstad W E and Metzger R J 1976 Screening wheat for aluminum tolerance. pp 287–295.In Plant Adaptation to Mineral Stress in Problem Soils. Ed. M J Wright. Cornell Univ. Agric. Exp. Stn., Ithaca, NY.
- Munns D N 1965 Soil acidity and growth of a legume. II. Reactions of aluminum and phosphate in solution and effects of aluminum, phosphate, calcium, and pH onMedicago sativa L. andTrifolium subterraneum L. in solution culture. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 16, 743–755.
- Murphy J and Riley J P 1962 A modified single solution method for the determination of phosphate in natural waters. Anal. Chim. Acta 27, 31–36. CrossRef
- Ouellette G J and Dessureaux L 1958 Chemical composition of alfalfa as related to degree of tolerance to manganese and aluminum. Can. J. Plant Sci. 38, 206–214.
- Pavan M A, Bingham F T and Pratt P F 1982 Toxicity of aluminum to coffee in ultisols and oxisols amended with CaCO3, MgCO3, and CaSO4. 2H2O. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 46, 1201–1207.
- Ragland J L and Coleman N T 1962 Influence of aluminum on phosphate uptake by snap bean roots. Proc. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. 26, 88–90.
- Randall P J and Vose P B 1963 Effect of aluminum on uptake and translocation of phosphorus by perennial ryegrass. Plant Physiol. 38, 403–409.
- Rees W J and Sidrak G H 1961 Inter-relationship of aluminum and manganese toxicities toward plants. Plant and Soil 14, 101–117. CrossRef
- Rhue R D and Grogan C O 1977 Screening corn for Al tolerance using different Ca and Mg concentrations. Agron. J. 69, 755–760.
- Vanderlip R L and Reeves H E 1972 Growth stages of sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench.]. Agron. J. 64, 13–16.
- Wallace A and Romney E M 1973 Aluminum toxicity in plants grown in solution culture. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 8, 791–794.
- Wilson D O 1984 Determination of aluminum in plant tissue digests using a catechol violet colorimetric method. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 15, 1269–1279.
- Wright K W and Donahue B A 1953 Aluminum toxicity studies with radioactive phosphorus. Plant Physiol. 28, 674–680.
- Aluminum stress on sorghum growth and nutrient relationships
Plant and Soil
Volume 98, Issue 2 , pp 195-202
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Critical Al toxicity level
- Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench
- Industry Sectors
- K. Ohki (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Agronomy, University of Georgia, 30212-5099, Experiment, GA, USA