Effect of gypsum and moisture stress on growth and pod-fill of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.)
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A pot study was carried out in the screenhouse at Samaru, Nigeria, to examine the effects of moisture stress and gypsum on groundnut pod development and yield. The use of gypsum had no significant effect either on vegetative growth or on the yield of Spanish 205, but increased the pod and kernel yields of June-sown Samaru 38 variety. Applying moisture stress at 9–13 weeks after sowing to coincide with the period of peg and pod development lowered the uptake of nitrogen and increased the proportion of unfilled pods thus drastically reducing yield. In one trial the variety Samaru 38 failed to yield any pods when plants were subjected to moisture stress at the peg and pod development phase. By comparison, the occurrence of moisture deficit earlier in the season, at 6–10 weeks after sowing and coinciding with the period of peak flowering was less detrimental to podfill and yield. It was concluded that the application of gypsum alone without first correcting moisture deficit was unlikely to alleviate problems of groundnut peg development and pod fill.
- Bremner, J. M. 1965 Total nitrogen.In Methods of Soil Analysis. Ed. C. A. Black. Agron. Monogr.9, 1149–1178.
- Heathcote, R. G. and Stockinger, K. R. 1970 Soil fertility under continuous cultivation in northern Nigeria: 2. Response to fertilizers in the absence of organic manures. Exp. Agric.6, 345–350.
- Jones, M. J. and Stockinger, K. R. 1976 Effects of fertilizers on exchangeable cation ratios and crop nutrition in northern Nigeria. Exp. Agric.12, 1–11.
- Kowal, J. M. and Knabe, D. T. 1972 An agroclimatological atlas of the northern states of Nigeria. Ahmadu Bello University Press. Zaria, Nigeria.
- Kowal, J. M. and Kassam, A. H. 1973 An appraisal of the drought in 1973 affecting groundnuts in the Guinea and Sudan Savanna areas of Nigeria. Savanna2, 159–164.
- Mortimore, M. 1974 Drought in the Dallols of Niger. Savanna3, 213.
- Sanchez, L. F. S. and Owen, E. J. B. 1978 Influence of liming and fertilization with N, P and K on the yields of peanuts (Arachis hypogaea L.) grown on soils of the high terraces of the Eastern Plains of Colombia. Fert. Abstr.13, 193.
- Singh, A. and Balasubramanian, V. 1978 Soil resources and management in semi-arid region of northern Nigeria: Paper presented at the General Conference of the Association for Advancement of Agriculture in Africa, Ibadan, April 9–15, 1978.
- Singh, L. and Balasubramanian, V. 1978 Fertilizing groundnuts — some suggestions. Samaru Conf. Paper21, 14 p. Inst. Agric. Res., Ahmadu Bello Uni., Zaria, Nigeria.
- Singh, L. and Balasubramanian, V. 1979 Effects of continuous fertilizer use on a ferruginous soil (Haplustalf) in Nigeria. Exp. Agric.15, 257–265.
- Walker, M. E. and Keisling, T. C. 1978 Response of five peanut cultivars to gypsum fertilization in soils varying in calcium content. Peanut Sci.5, 57–60.
- Walker, M. E., Keisling, T. C. and Draxler, J. S. 1976 Response of three peanut cultivars to gypsum. Agron. J.68, 527–528.
- Williams, J. H., Hildobrand, G. L. and Tattersfield, J. R. 1978 The effect of weather and genotype x environment interaction on the yields of groundnuts (Arachis hypogaea L.). Rhod. J. Agric. Res.16, 193–204.
- Yayock, J. Y. 1977 An epidemic of resotte disease and its effect on growth characteristics and yield of groundnuts in Nigeria. Oleagineux32, 113–115.
- Yayock, J. Y. 1979 A review of the agronomic principles of groundnut production. Samaru Conf. paper30, 12 p. Inst. Agric. Res., Ahmadu Bello Univ, Zaria, Nigeria.
- Yayock, J. Y., Harkness, C. and Johnson, R. A. 1979 Groundnuts: Wat went wrong in 1978? paper presented at the meeting between Federal and State Ministries of Agriculture, I.A.R. and A.E.R.L.S. March 1–2, at Ahmadu Bello Univ., Zaria, Nigeria.
- Effect of gypsum and moisture stress on growth and pod-fill of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.)
Plant and Soil
Volume 62, Issue 2 , pp 209-219
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff/Dr. W. Junk Publishers
- Additional Links
- Arachis hypogaea
- Crop environment
- Groundnut pod-fill
- Moisture stress
- Tropical soils
- Industry Sectors