Training a capuchin (Cebus apella) to perform as an aide for a quadriplegic
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Initial results of a small pilot project indicate thatCebus monkeys have the potential to serve as animal aides for quadriplegics. During the course of the pilot project the investigators developed a set of procedures for teaching aCebus monkey a variety of helping skills. Given a description of those procedures, a college student with no prior animal training experience was able to teach a naiveCebus apella nine different complex behaviors in 25.5 hr of training over a period of two months.
- Honig, W. &J. E. R. Staddon (eds.), 1977.Handbook of Operant Behavior. Prentice-Hall, New Jersey.
- Skinner, B. F., 1938.The Behavior of Organisms: An Experimental Analysis. Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York.
- ————, 1951. How to teach animals.Sci. Amer., 185: 26–29.
- Training a capuchin (Cebus apella) to perform as an aide for a quadriplegic
Volume 23, Issue 4 , pp 520-532
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links