On the ecology and behavior ofCebus albifrons in eastern Colombia: II. Behavior
- Thomas R. Defler
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A 503-contact-hr study of a 35 member group ofCebus albifrons was conducted in eastern Colombia in 1977 and 1978. The reactions of the group often centered on the largest adult male, which seemed dominant over all other members of the group. This “alpha” male reacted to perceived danger by putting himself between the group and the danger where he threatened and observed until the other members left the scene. Many members of the group sought the alpha's physical support while using threatening behaviors. Much tolerance towards juveniles and infants was shown by adult and subadult males which included carrying young animals out of danger. Territorial behavior was observed towards neighboring groups. Many behaviors were similar to other species ofCebus.
- Bates, B. C., 1970. Territorial behavior in primates: A review of recent field studies.Primates, 18: 937–994.
- Bernstein, I. S., 1965. Activity patterns in aCebus monkey group.Folia Primat., 3: 211–224.
- ————, 1966. Analysis of a key role in a capuchin (Cebus albifrons) group.Tulane Stud. Zool., 13(2): 49–54.
- Defler, T. R., 1976. An analysis of grooming in two species of macaque (Macaca nemestrina andMacaca radiata). Ph. D. Thesis, Univ. of Colorado.
- ————, 1978. Allogrooming in two species of macaque (Macaca nemestrina andMacaca radiata).Primates, 19: 153–167. CrossRef
- ————, 1979. On the ecology and behavior ofCebus albifrons in eastern Colombia. I. Ecology.Primates, 20: 475–490.
- Hernandez-Camacho, J. &R. W. Cooper, 1976. The nonhuman primates of Colombia. In:Neotropical Primates: Field Studies and Conservation,R. W. Thorington &R. G. Heltne (eds.), National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D. C., pp. 35–98.
- Oppenheimer, J., 1968. Behavior and ecology of the white faced monkey,Cebus capucinus, on Barro Colorado Island. Univ. Microfilms, Ltd.
- ————, 1973. Preliminary observations ofCebus nigrivitattus (Primates: Cebidae) on the Venezuelan Llanos.Folia Primat., 19: 409–436.
- On the ecology and behavior ofCebus albifrons in eastern Colombia: II. Behavior
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 491-502
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Thomas R. Defler (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. PNCP/INDERENA, Apartado Aéreo 4559, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2. The American Peace Corps, USA