Biological control ofFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cubense in banana by inoculation withPseudomonas fluorescens
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Native strains ofPseudomonas fluorescens exhibitedin vitro antibiosis towards isolates of races 1 and 4 ofFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cubense, the Panama wilt pathogen of banana. The seedlings ofMusa balbisiana seedlings treated withP. fluorescens showed less severe wilting and internal discolouration due toF. oxysporum f.sp.cubense infection in greenhouse experiments. In addition to suppressing Panama wilt, bacterized seedlings ofM. balbisiana also showed better root growth and enhanced plant height.
- Alexander M and Marshall K C 1958Agrobacterium radiobacter. Annual report, Cornell Soil Microbiology Research Project. Department of Agronomy, Cornell University, pp 17–22.
- Buchanan, R E and Gibbons N E (Eds.) 1974 Bergey's Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, 8th edn, William and Wilkins Co., Baltimore.
- Colyer, P D and Mount M S 1984 Bacterization of potato withPseudomonas putida and its influence on post harvest soft rot diseases. Plant Disease 68, 703–706.
- Cook R J and Rovira, A D 1976 The role of bacteria in the biological control ofGaeumannomyces graminis by suppressive soils. Soil Biol. biochem. 8, 269–273.
- Ganesan P and Gnanamanickam S S 1987 Biological control ofSclerotium rolfsii Sacc. in peanut by inoculation withPseudomonas fluorescens. Soil Biol. Biochem. 19, 35–38. CrossRef
- Harper, J L 1950 Studies on the resistance of certain varieties of banana to Panama disease. I. Internal factors for resistance and antibiotics. II. The rhizosphere. Plant and Soil 2, 374–394.
- Howell, C R and Stipanovic R D 1979 Control ofrhizoctonia solani on cotton seedlings withPseudomonas fluorescens and with antibiotic produced by the bacterium. Phytopathology 69, 480–482.
- Howell, C R and Stipanovic R D 1980 Supression ofPythium ultimum induced damping-off of cotton seedings byPseudomonas fluorescens and its antibiotic pyoluteorin. Phytopathology 70, 712–715.
- King E O, Ward M K and Raney D E 1954 Two simple media for the demonstration of pyocyanin and fluorescein. J. Lab Clin. Med. 44, 301–307.
- Lakshmanan P and Selvaraj P 1986 An effective method for the control of Panama disease of banana.In Proceedings of Seminar on Management of Soil-borne Diseases of Crop Plants. Ed. N, Shanmugam, p 20. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India.
- Meredith D S 1943 The antagonism of Actinomyces toFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cubense. Phytopathology 33, 403.
- Meredith D S 1944 Antagonism of soil organisms toFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cubense. Phytopathology 34, 426–429.
- Meredith D S 1946 Soil actinomycetes applied to banana plants in the field. Phytopathology 36, 983–987.
- Mew T W and Rosales A M 1984 Relationship of soil microorganism to rice sheath-blight development in irrigated and dry land rice cultures.In Soilborne Diseases in Asia, Food and Fertilizer Technology Center, Taiwan Book Series No. 26, pp 147–158.
- Rambouts J E 1953 Microorganisms in the rhizosphere of banana plants in relation to susceptibility or resistance to Panama disease. Plant and Soil 4, 276–288.
- Sakthivel N and Gnanamanickam S S 1986 Bacterization of rice withPseudomonas fluorescens reduces sheath-rot infection. International Rice Research Newsletter 11, 17–18.
- Sakthivel N, Sivamani E, Unnamalai N and Gnanamanickam S S 1986 Plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria in enhancing plant growth and suppressing plant pathogens. Current Science 55, 22–25.
- Savithiry S and Gnanamanickam S S 1987 Bacterization of peanut withPseudomonas fluorescens for biological control ofRhizoctonia solani and for enhanced yield. Plant and Soil 102, 11–15. CrossRef
- Schroth M N and Hancock J G 1982 Disease suppressive soils and root colonizing bacteria. Science 216, 1376–1381.
- Sivamani E 1987 Wilt Diseases of Banana in Tamil Nadu: Studies on the Biology and Control of Panama wilt caused byFusarium oxysporium f.sp.cubense (E F Smith) Snyder and Hansen. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Madras, India.
- Smith S N 1975 Association of Arthrobacter with banana wilt fusaria in suppressive soils. Proceedings of American Phytopathol. Soc. 2, 79.
- Stover R H 1959 A simple pathogenicity test for detecting virulent clones ofFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cubense using seedlings ofMusa balbisiana. Nature (Lond.) 184, 1591–1592.
- Stover R H 1972 Banana plantain and abaca diseases. Commonw. Mycol. Inst., New Surrey, England. 316 pp.
- Su H J, Hwang S C and Ko W H 1986 Fusarial wilt of Cavendish bananas in Taiwan. Plant Disease 70, 814–818.
- Sun E J, Su H J and Ko W H 1978 Identification ofFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cubense race 4 from soil or host tissue by cultural characters. Phytopathology 68, 1672–1673.
- Suslow T V 1982 Role of root colonizing bacteria in plant growth.In Phytopathogenic Prokarvotes, Vol. I. Eds. M S Mount and G H Lacy, pp 187–223. Academic Press, N.Y.
- Tu C C and Chang Y H 1983 Soil microbial activity in relation to Fusarium wilt suppressive soils and conducive soil.In Proceedings of Republic of China Federal Republic of Germany Seminar on Plant nutrition and soil Science, National Science Council, Taipei, Taiwan. pp 189–196.
- Tu C C, Chang Y C, Cheng Y H, Lin C H, Li J H and Yuang S 1980 Studies on biological control of Panama disease (Fusarium wilt) of banana. Tainan Dais Research Bulletin 14, 1–12.
- Wardlaw C W 1972 Banana diseases including plantain and abaca. II Ed. Longman, London, 876 pp.
- Weller D M S and Cook R J 1983 Suppression of ‘take-all’ of wheat by seed treatments with fluorescent pseudomonads. Phytopathology 73, 463–469.
- Weller D M S and Rovira A D 1984 Suppression of ‘take-all’ of wheat in South Australian soils by fluorescent pseudomonads. Phytopathology 74, 806.
- Biological control ofFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cubense in banana by inoculation withPseudomonas fluorescens
Plant and Soil
Volume 107, Issue 1 , pp 3-9
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- biological control
- Panama wilt of banana
- Pseudomonas fluorescens
- Industry Sectors