Herbicide effects on the growth and nodulation potential ofRhizobium trifolii withTrifolium subterraneum L.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A study was made of the effect of the herbicides 2,4-D, amitrole, atrazine, chlorsulfuron, diclofop-methyl, diquat, glyphosate, paraquat and trifluralin on the nodulation of sub-clover (Trifolium subterraneum L. ‘Clare’), the growth ofR. trifolii TA1 in liquid nutrient medium and the ability of herbicide-treated inoculum to successfully nodulate sub-clover plants. As concentrations of amitrole, diclofop-methyl and glyphosate in the rooting environment increased from 0 to 20 mg ai L−1, nodulation decreased linearly. The other herbicides at these concentrations caused more severe decreases in nodulation. Growth ofR. trifolii TA1 in nutrient broth was significantly retarded by all concentrations of diquat, 2 mg ai L−1 of paraquat, 10 mg ai L−1 of glyphosate and 2 mg ai L−1 of chlorsulfuron. Other herbicides did not suppress rhizobial growth. Inoculation with TA1 that had been grown in the presence of amitrole, atrazine or glyphosate and then washed free of the herbicide decreased nodulation of sub-clover, indicating that these herbicides may physiologically influence the nodulating potential of certain strains of Rhizobium. The remaining herbicides showed no indications of this effect.
- Amrhein N, Schab J and Steinrucken H C 1980 The mode of action of the herbicide glyphosate. Naturwissenechaften 67, 356–357.
- Ashton F M and Crafts A S 1981 Mode of Action of Herbicides. 2nd ed. John Wiley and Sons, New York, 289 p.
- Bergersen F S 1961 Growth ofRhizobium in synthetic media. Aust. J. Biol. Sci. 14, 349–360.
- Bollich P K, Dunigan E P and Jadi A W M 1985 Effects of seven herbicides on N2(C2H2) fixation by soybeans. Weed Sci. 33, 427–430.
- Brock J L 1972 Effects of the herbicides trifluralin and carbetamide on nodulation and growth of legume seedlings. Weed Res. 12, 150–154.
- Cardina J, Hartwig N L and Lukezic F L 1986 Herbicidal effects on crownvetch rhizobia and nodule activity. Weed Sci. 34, 338–343.
- Chakabartis S, Lee M S and Gibson A H 1981 Diversity in the nutritional requirements of strains of variousRhizobium species. Soil Biol. Biochem. 13, 349–354.
- Curley R L and Burton J C 1975 Compatibility ofRhizobium japonicum with chemical seed protectants. Agron. J. 67, 807–808.
- Dunigan E P, Frey J P, Allen L P Jr. and McMahon A 1972 Herbicidal effects on nodulation ofGlycine max (L.) Merrill. Agron. J. 64, 806–808.
- Eberbach P L and Douglas L A 1983 Persistence of glyphosate in a sandy loam. Soil Biol. Biochem. 15, 485–487. CrossRef
- Elkan G H and Kwik I 1968 Nitrogen, energy and vitamin nutrition ofRhizobium japonicum. J. Appl. Bact. 31, 399–404.
- Faizah A W, Broughton W J and John C K 1980 Rhizobia in tropical legumes. XI. Survivial in the seed environment. Soil Biol. Biochem. 12, 219–227.
- Fletcher W W, Dickenson P B, Forrest J D and Raymond J C 1957 The effect of soil applications of certain substituted phenoxyacetic and phenoxybutyric acids on the growth and nodulation ofTrifolium repens sylvestre. Phyton 9, 41–46.
- Fletcher W W, Dickenson P B and Raymond J C 1956 The effect of certain hormone herbicides on the growth and nodulation ofTrifolium repens sylvestre in aseptic culture. Phyton 7, 121–130.
- Garcia M M and Jordan D C 1969 Action of 2,4-DB and Dalapon on the symbiotic properties ofLotus corniculatus (birds-foot trefoil). Plant and Soil 30, 317–334. CrossRef
- Gibson A H 1963 Physical environment and symbiotic nitrogen fixation. I. The effect of root temperature on recently nodulatedTrifolium subterraneum L. plants. Aust. J. Biol. Sci. 16, 28–42.
- Graham P H 1963 Vitamin requirements of root nodule bacteria. J. Gen. Microb. 30, 245–248.
- Grossbard E 1970 Effect of herbicides on the symbiotic relationship betweenRhizobium trifolii and white clover. Occasional Symp. Br. Grassland Soc. 6: White Clover Research 47–59.
- Grossbard E 1975 Techniques for the assay of effects of herbicides on the soil microflora.In Some Methods for Microbiological Assays. (The Society For Applied Bacteriology Technical Series No. 8) Eds R G Board and D W Lovelock. Academic Press London.
- Hageman L H and Behrens R 1984 Basis for response differences of two broadleaf weeds to chlorsulfuron. Weed Sci. 32, 162–167.
- Jaworski E G 1972 Mode of action of N-phosphonomethyl glycine: Inhibition of aromatic amino acid biosynthesis. J. Agric. Food Chem. 20, 1195–1198. CrossRef
- Kust C A and Struckmeyer B E 1971 Effects of trifluralin on growth, nodulation and anatomy of soybeans. Weed Sci. 19, 147–152.
- Mallik M A B and Tesfai K 1985 Pesticidal effect of soybeanrhizobia symbiosis. Plant and Soil 85, 33–41. CrossRef
- Moore J K, Braymer H D and Larson A D 1983 Isolation of aPseudomonas sp. which utilizes the phosphonate herbicide glyphosate. Appl. Env. Microb. 46, 316–320.
- Moorman T B 1986 Effects of herbicides on the survival ofRhizobium japonicum strains. Weed Sci. 34, 628–633.
- Olume J W K and Veatch C 1969 Organic matter-amiben interaction on nodulation and growth of soybean. Weed Sci. 17, 264–265.
- Parker M B and Dowler C C 1976 Effects of nitrogen with trifluralin and vernolate on soybeans. Weed Sci. 24, 131–133.
- Peters E J and Ben Zbiba M 1979 Effects of herbicides on nitrogen fixation of alfalfa (Medicago sativa) and red clover (Trifolium pratense). Weed Sci. 27, 18–21.
- Rennie R J and Dubetz S 1984 Effect of fungicides and herbicides on the nodulation and N2 fixation in soybean fields lacking indigenousRhizobium japonicum. Agron. J. 76, 451–454.
- Roslycky E B 1985 Sensitivity and adaptation of selected rhizobia and agrobacteria to paraquat. Can. J. Soil Sci. 65, 555–562.
- Seither R L and Brown O R 1984 Paraquat and nitrofurantoin inhibit growth ofEscherichia coli by inducing stringency. J. Tox. Env. Health 14, 763–771.
- Sokal R R and Rohlf F J 1969 Biometry. pp 370–371. Freeman and Co. San Francisco.
- Sweetster P B, Schow G S and Hutchinson J M 1982 Metabolism of chlorsulfuron by plants: Biochemical basis for selectivity of a new herbicide for cereals. Pestic. Biochem. Physiol. 17, 18–23.
- Torralba Redondo B, Flores Rodríguez M and Villar Moreno A L 1986 The effect of atrazine on the growth and nodulation of twoRhizobium strains. Anales de Edafología y Agrobiologia 45, 817–826.
- Torstensson L 1975 Effects of bentazon and Dinoseb on soil microorganisms and on theRhizobium leguminosarum symbiosis. Swed. J. Agric. Res. 5, 177–183.
- Vincent J M 1970 A Manual for the Practical Study of Root-Nodule Bacteria. I.B.P. Handbook No. 15. Blackwell Scientific Publications Edinburgh.
- Wallnöefer V P 1968 Untersuchungen über die antimikrobielle Wirkung von Deiquat und Paraquat. Pflanzenkr. Pflanzenschutz 75, 218–224.
- Herbicide effects on the growth and nodulation potential ofRhizobium trifolii withTrifolium subterraneum L.
Plant and Soil
Volume 119, Issue 1 , pp 15-23
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- nutrient solution
- Rhizobium trifolii TA1
- Industry Sectors