A glass/silicon composite intracortical electrode array
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A new manufacturing technique has been developed for creating silicon-based, penetrating electrode arrays intended for implantation into cerebral cortex. The arrays consist of a 4.2 mm×4.2 mm glass/silicon composite base, from which project 100 silicon needle-type electrodes in a 10×10 array. Each needle is approximately 1,500 μm long, 80μm in diameter at the base, and tapers to a sharp point at the metalized tip. The technique used to manufacture these arrays differs from our previous method in that a glass dielectric, rather than ap-n-p junction, provides electrical isolation between the individual electrodes in the array. The new electrode arrays exhibit superior electrical properties to those described previously. We have measured interelectrode impedances of at least 1013 Ω, and interelectrode capacitances of approximately 50 fF for the new arrays. In this paper, we describe the manufacturing techniques used to create the arrays, focusing on the dielectric isolation technique, and discuss the electrical and mechanical characteristics of these arrays.
- Anthony, T.R.; Cline, H.E. Deep-diode arrays. J. Appl. Phys. 47(6):2550–2557; 1976.
- Campbell, P.K.; Jones, K.E.; Huber, R.J.; Horch, K.W.; Normann, R.A. A silicon-based, three dimensional-neural interface: Manufacturing processes for an intracortical electrode array. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 38(8):758–768; 1991. CrossRef
- Jones, K.E.; Campbell, P.K.; Normann, R.A. Interelectrode isolation in a penetrating intracortical electrode array. Proc. Annu. Int. Conf. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc. 12:496–497; 1990.
- Leyden, R.N.; Basiulis, D.I. Adhesion and electrical insulation of thin polymeric coating under saline exposure. Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 110:627–633; 1989.
- McHardy, J.; Basiulis, D.I.; Angsten, G.; Higley, L.R.; Leyden, R.N. Accelerated testing of polyimide coatings for neural prostheses. In: Lupinski, J.H.; Moore, R.S., eds. Polymeric materials for electronics packaging and interconnection. ACS Symposium Series 407. 1989: pp. 168–175.
- Peterson, K.E. Silicon as a mechanical material. Proc. IEEE 70(5):420–457; 1982.
- Rousche, P.J.; Normann, R.A. A method for pneumatically inserting an array of penetrating electrodes into cortical tissue. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 20:413–422; 1992.
- A glass/silicon composite intracortical electrode array
Annals of Biomedical Engineering
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 423-437
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Electrode array
- Neural interface
- Intracortical electrodes
- Industry Sectors