Characterisation of genes isolated from a potato swellingstolon cDNA library
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In screening to isolate a full-length copy of a previously isolated cDNA clone, a further three cDNAs were also isolated from a library prepared from sub-apical swelling-stolon tissue of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). Sequence analysis showed these clones to be similar to extensin-like protein genes, acyl carrier protein thioesterase genes and high mobility group protein genes, respectively. A further cDNA, isolated by subtractive hybridisation, was similar to a tomato cDNA previously isolated on the basis of its down-regulation following nematode infection. While all the newly isolated genes were expressed in swelling stolons, for most, maximal expression was seen to be in stem tissue. Possible roles for these genes in the development of potato plants are discussed, as is the significance of gene expression in stems and stolons to the process of tuberisation.
- Altschul, S.F., W. Gish, W. Miller, E.W. Myers & D.J. Lipman, 1990. Basic local alignment search tool.Journal of Molecular Biology 215:403–410. CrossRef
- Artschwager, E., 1924. Studies on the potato tuber.Journal of Agricultural Research 27: 809–835.
- Bachem, C.W.B., R.S. van der Hoeven, S.M. de Bruijn, D. Vreugdenhil, M. Zabeau & R.G.F. Visser, 1996. Visualization of differential gene expression using a novel method of RNA fingerprinting based on AFLP, Analysis of gene expression during potato tuber development.Plant Journal 9:745–753. CrossRef
- Balamani, V., K. Veluthambi & B.W. Poovaiah, 1986. Effect of calcium on tuberization in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.).Plant Physiology 80:856–858.
- Cutter, E.G., 1992. Structure and development of the potato plant. In: P.M. Harris (Ed.), The Potato Crop. Chapman & Hall, London, pp. 65–161.
- Devereux, J., P. Haeberli & O. Smithies, 1984. A comprehensive set of sequence analysis programs for the VAX.Nucleic Acids Research 12:387–395.
- Ewing, E.E. & P.C. Struik, 1992. Tuber formation in potato: induction, initiation and growth.Horticultural Reviews 14:89–198.
- Goldman, M.H., M. Pezzotti, J. Seurinck & C. Mariani, 1992. Developmental expression of tobacco pistil-specific genes encoding novel extensin-like proteins.Plant Cell 4:1041–1051.
- Grasser, K.D., 1995. Plant chromosomal high mobility group (HMG) proteins.Plant Journal 7:185–192. CrossRef
- Gregory, L.E., 1956. Some factors for tuberization in the potato plant.American Journal of Botany 43:281–288.
- Höfgen, R. & L. Willmitzer, 1992. Transgenic potato plants depleted for the major tuber protein patatin via expression of antisense RNA.Plant Science 87:45–54.
- Jackson, S.D., A. Heyer, J. Dietze & S. Prat, 1996. Phytochrome B mediates the photoperiodic control of tuber formation in potato.Plant Journal 9:156–166. CrossRef
- Jarvis, S.B., M.A. Taylor, M.R. MacLeod & H.V. Davies, 1996. Cloning and characterisation of the cDNA clones of three genes that are differentially expressed during dormancy-breakage in the seeds of Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii).Journal of Plant Physiology 147:559–566.
- Kang, S.-G. & D.J. Hannapel, 1996. A novel MADS-box gene of the potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) expressed during the early stages of tuberization.Plant Molecular Biology 31:379–386. CrossRef
- Koda, Y., Y. Kikuta, H. Tazaki, Y. Tsujino, S. Sakamura & T. Yoshihara, 1991. Potato tuber-inducing activities of jasmonic acid and related compounds.Phytochemistry 30:1435–1438. CrossRef
- Kumar, A., M.A. Taylor, S.A. Mad Arif & H.V. Davies, 1996. Potato plants expressing antisense and sense S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (SAMDC) transgenes show altered levels of polyamines and ethylene: antisense plants display abnormal phenotypes.Plant Journal 9:147–158. CrossRef
- Lovell, P.H. & A. Booth, 1967. Effects of gibberellic acid on growth, tuber formation and carbohydrate distribution inSolanum tuberosum.New Phytologist 68:1175–1185.
- MacIntosh, G.C., R.M. Ulloa, M. Raíces & M.T. Téllez-Iñón, 1996. Changes in calcium-dependent protein kinase activity during in vitro tuberization in potato.Plant Physiology 112:1541–1550.
- Mad Arif, S.A., M.A. Taylor, L.A. George, A.R. Butler, L.R. Burch, H.V. Davies, M.J.R. Stark & A. Kumar, 1994. Characterisation of the S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (SAMDC) gene of potato.Plant Molecular Biology 26:327–338. CrossRef
- Müller-Röber, B., U. Sonnewald & L. Willmitzer, 1992. Inhibition of the ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase in transgenic potatoes leads to sugar-storing tubers and influences tuber formation and expression of tuber storage protein genes.EMBO Journal 11:1229–1238.
- Pavia, E., R.M. Lister & W.D. Park, 1983. Induction and accumulation of major tuber proteins of potato in stems and petioles.Plant Physiology 71:161–168.
- Poovaiah, B.W., D. Takezawa, G. An & T.-J. Han, 1996. Regulated expression of a calmodulin isoform alters growth and development in potato.Journal of Plant Physiology 149:553–558.
- Takezawa, D., Z.H. Liu, G. An & B.W. Poovaiah, 1995. Calmodulin gene family in potato: developmental and touch-induced expression of the mRNA encoding a novel isoform.Plant Molecular Biology 27:693–703. CrossRef
- Taylor, M.A., H.V. Davies & L.A. Scobie, 1991. Molecular changes associated with tuberisation inSolanum tuberosum. Differential expression of α-tubulin isotypes.Physiologia Plantarum 81:244–250. CrossRef
- Taylor, M.A., A. Kumar, L.A. George & H.V. Davies, 1992a. Isolation and molecular characterisation of a tuberisation-related cDNA clone from potato (Solanum tuberosum L.).Plant Cell Reports 11:623–626. CrossRef
- Taylor, M.A., S.A. Mad Arif, A. Kumar, H.V. Davies, L.A. Scobie, S.R. Pearce & A.J. Flavell, 1992b. Expression and sequence analysis of cDNAs induced during the early stages of tuberisation in different organs of the potato plant (Solanum tuberosum L.).Plant Molecular Biology 20:641–651. CrossRef
- Taylor, M.A., S.B. Smith, H.V. Davies & L.R. Burch, 1992c. The primary structure of a cDNA clone of the stearoyl-acyl carrier protein desaturase gene from potato (Solanum tuberosum L.).Plant Physiology 100:533–534.
- Vick, B.A. & D.C. Zimmerman, 1987. Oxidative systems for the modification of fatty acids. In: P.K. Stumpf & E.E. Conn (Eds), The Biochemistry of Plants, Vol. 9. Academic Press, New York, pp. 53–90.
- Visser, R.G.F., D. Vreugdenhil, T. Hendriks & E. Jacobsen, 1994. Gene expression and carbohydrate content during stolon to tuber transition in potatoes (Solanum tuberosum).Physiologia Plantarum 90:285–292. CrossRef
- Wang, W., D. Takezawa & B.W. Poovaiah, 1996. A potato cDNA encoding a homologue of mammalian multidrug resistant P-glycoprotein.Plant Molecular Biology 31:683–687.
- Wu, H.-M., J. Zou, B. May, Q. Gu & A.Y. Cheung, 1993. A tobacco gene family for flower cell wall proteins with a proline-rich domain and a cystein-rich domain.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 90:6829–6833.
- Zheng, C.C., A.Q. Bui & S.D. Neill, 1993. Abundance of an mRNA encoding a high mobility group DNA-binding protein is regulated by light and an endogenous rhythm.Plant Molecular Biology 23:813–823. CrossRef
- Characterisation of genes isolated from a potato swellingstolon cDNA library
Volume 42, Issue 1 , pp 31-42
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Solanum tuberosum L.
- acyl carrier protein thioesterase
- high mobility group protein
- gene expression
- plant development