Foliage resistance toPhytophthora infestans (Mont.) de Bary in the Ecuadorian natinal collection ofSolanum phureja ssp.phureja Juz. & Buk
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Ecuadorian national collection ofS. phureja ssp.phureja Juz. & Buk. was evaluated in two parts in consecutive years in the field for resistance toPhytophthora infestans (Mont.) de Bary. Levels of resistance higher than that of the moderately-resistant tetraploid control were found. Preliminary studies indicate that this resistance is a result of minor genes. Three components of resistance: lesion diameter, lesion number and latent period were all correlated with field resistance as measured by the area under the disease progress curve.
- Browning, J.A., 1974. Relevance of knowledge about natural ecosystems to development of pest management programs for agro-ecosystems.Proceedings of The American Phytopathological Society, Vol. 1, pp. 191–199. The American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA.
- Colon, L., 1994, Resistance toPhytophthora infestans inSolanum tuberosum and wildSolanum species., PhD Thesis, Agricultural University, Wageningen, Netherlands, 159 pp.
- De, Maine, M.J., C.P. Carroll, H.E. Stewart, R.M. Solomon & R.L., Wastie, 1993. Disease resistance inSolanum phureja and diploid and tetraploidS. tuberosum × S. phureja hybrids.Potato Research 36: 21–28.
- Forbes, G.A. & M.C. Jarvis, 1994. Host resistance for management of potato late blight. In G. Zehnder, R. Jansson & K.V. Raman (Eds), Advances in potato pest biology and management. American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA, pp. 489–495.
- Fry, W.E., S.B. Goodwin, J.M. Matuszak, L.J., Spielman, M.G. Milgroom & A. Drenth 1992. Population genetics and intercontinental migrations ofPhytophthora infestans.Annual Review of Phytopathology 30: 107–129. CrossRef
- Harris, M.K. & R.A. Frederiksen, 1984. Concepts and methods regarding host plant resistance to arthropods and pathogens.Annual Review of Phytopathology 22: 247–272. CrossRef
- Korva, J.T. & G.A. Forbes, 1994. A simple technique for healthy and diseased leaf area assessment of potato plants.Potato Research 38: 31–37.
- Oijen, M. van, 1991 Identification of the major characteristics of potato cultivars which affect yield loss caused by late blight. PhD Thesis. Agricultural University. Wageningen, Netherlands, 116 pp.
- Spielman, L.J., A. Drenth, L.C. Davidse, L.J. Sujkowski, W. Gu. P.W. Tooley & W.E. Fry, 1991. A second world-wide migration and population displacement ofPhytophthora infestans.Plant Pathology 40: 422–430.
- Thurston, H.D., L.E. Hedrick & J.N. Guzman, 1962. Partial resistance toPhytophthora infestans de Bary within the Coleccion Central Colombiana.American Potato Journal 39: 63–69.
- Foliage resistance toPhytophthora infestans (Mont.) de Bary in the Ecuadorian natinal collection ofSolanum phureja ssp.phureja Juz. & Buk
Volume 38, Issue 1 , pp 3-10
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- component analysis
- allopatric resistance
- Industry Sectors