Effect of two plant growth regulators on the yield and quality of russet burbank potatoes
- Brian L. Rex
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Foliar applications of ethephon (ETH) 300 g a.i. ha−1; chlormequat chloride (CCC) 920 g a.i. ha−1, with a second application of 230 g a.i. ha−1 approximately 2 weeks later; and a mixture of the two (ETH/CCC) 156 g a.i. ethephon and 299 g a.i. chlormequat chloride ha−1 were made to field-grown Russet Burbank potatoes in 1986, 1987 and 1989. All the treatments increased the number of tubers set and reduced the average tuber weight compared to the control resulting in a reduction in premium and marketable tubers, and an increase in small tubers. Differences were greatest for ETH and least for CCC. ETH and ETH/CCC decreased the specific gravity, increased the incidence of deformities, and decreased the incidence of tubers with hollow heart. The growth regulators did not affect fry colour.
- Aonymous, 1972. Colour standards for frozen French fried potatoes. 3rd Edition. United States Department of Agriculture, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Caldwell, C. D., D. R. Mellish & J. Norrie, 1988. A comparison of ethephon alone and in combination with CCC or DPC applied to spring barley.Canadian Journal of Plant Science 68: 941–946.
- Cox, W. J. & D. J. Otis, 1989. Growth and yield of winter wheat as influenced by chlormequat chloride and ethephon.Agronomy Journal 81: 264–270.
- Humphries, E. C., 1968. CCC and cereals.Field Crop Abstracts 21: 91–99.
- Gould, W. A. & S. Plimpton, 1985. Quality evaluation of potato cultivars for processing. North Central Regional Research Publication 305, Ohio State University, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Centre, Wooster, Ohio.
- Govindakrishnan, P. M. & T. S. Sahota, 1984. Effect of Cycocel and nitrogen combinations on haulm growth and tuber yield of potato in the hills of Shillong and Simla.Journal of the Indian Potato Association 11: 26–31.
- Kamal, A. L. & M. Marroush, 1971. Control of chocolate spot in potato tubers by foliar spray with 2-chloroethylphosphonic acid.HortScience 6: 42.
- Koller, D. C. & L. K. Hiller, 1988. Response of Russet Burbank potatoes to ethephon sprays.American Potato Journal 65: 529–534.
- Menzel, C. M., 1984. Potato as a potential crop for the lowland tropics.Tropical Agriculture 61: 162–166.
- Naylor, R. E. L., D. T. Stokes & S. Matthews, 1987. Chemical manipulation of growth and development in winter barley production systems.Field Crop Abstracts 40: 277–289.
- Radwan, A. A., M. M. El-Fouly & N. A. Garas, 1971. Retarding stem elongation and stimulating dry matter production and yield of potato with chlormequat chloride (CCC).Potato Research 14: 173–180.
- Sands, P. J., C. Hackett & H. A. Nix, 1979. A model of the development and bulking of potatoes. I. Derivation from well-managed crops.Field Crops Research 2: 309–331. CrossRef
- Sekhon, H. S. & M. Singh, 1985. Effect of growth regulators and nitrogen on the growth, number and size of seed tubers and yield of potatoes.Journal of Agricultural Science, UK 104: 99–106.
- Singh, G., 1970. Influence of ethrel on growth and yield of potatoes.Research in the Life Sciences 18: 38–43.
- Steel, R. G. D. & J. H. Torrie, 1980. Principles and procedures of statistics: A biometrical approach. 2nd Edition. McGraw-Hill, New York, N.Y.
- Von Meltzer, H., 1984. Der Einfluss von 2-chloräthylphosphonsäure auf die Knollenzahl und den Ertrag von Kartoffelsorten unterschiedlicher Reifezeit.Potato Research 27: 271–284.
- Effect of two plant growth regulators on the yield and quality of russet burbank potatoes
Volume 35, Issue 3 , pp 227-233
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Solanum tubersoum L.
- 2-chloroethylphosphonic acid
- chlormequat chloride
- 2-chloroethyltrimethylammonium chloride
- Industry Sectors
- Brian L. Rex (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, R0G 1J0, Morden, Manitoba, Canada