Self-criticism at age 12: A longitudinal study of adjustment
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study employed a prospective longitudinal design to investigate the relation between self-criticism at age 12 and later adjustment. Archival data were available for subjects in the Sears, Maccoby, and Levin (1957) study. Self-criticism at age 12 predicted involvement in fewer high school activities and, at age 31, fewer years of education completed, lower occupational status in men, dissatisfaction with primary relationship (p=.10), dissatisfaction with being a parent, and personal/social maladjustment. However, self-critics were not less likely to marry nor did they marry later or have fewer children. The results were largely consistent with Blatt's lifespan development perspective on self-criticism. Possible processes linking self-criticism in early adolescence to later life outcomes are discussed.
- Abbott, H. C. (1960).A study of the relationship between child-rearing practices and school achievement. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Harvard University Graduate School of Education, Cambridge, MA.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., revised). Washington, DC: Author.
- Aubé, J., Koestner, R. (1992). Gender characteristics and adjustment: A longitudinal study.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 63, 485–493. CrossRef
- Barthell, C. N., & Holmes, D. S. (1968). High school yearbooks: A non-reactive measure of social isolation in graduates who later became schizophrenic.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 73, 313–316.
- Bartholomew, K., & Horowitz, L. M. (1991). Attachment styles among young adults: A test of a four-category model.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 61, 226–244. CrossRef
- Beck, A. T. (1983). Cognitive therapy of depression: New perspectives. In P. J. Clayton & J. E. Barrett (Eds.),Treatment of Depression: Old controversies and new approaches. New York: Raven Press.
- Blatt, S. J. (1974). Levels of object representation in anaclitic and introjective depression.Psychoanalytic Study of the Child, 29, 107–157.
- Blatt, S. J. (1990). Interpersonal relatedness and self-definition: Two personality configurations and their implications for psychopathology and psychotherapy. In J. L. Singer (Ed.),Repression and dissociation: Implications for personality theory, psychopathology, and health (pp. 299–336). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Blatt, S. J., D'Afflitti, J. P., & Quinlan, D. M. (1976). Experiences of depression in normal young adults.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 85, 383–389.
- Blatt, S. J., & Homann, E. (1992). Parent-child interaction in the etiology of dependent and self-critical depression.Clinical Psychology Review, 12, 47–91.
- Blatt, S. J., & Maroudas, C. (1992). Convergences among psychoanalytic and cognitive behavioral theories of depression.Psychoanalytic Psychology, 9, 157–190. CrossRef
- Blatt, S. J., & Shichman, S. (1983). Two primary configurations of psychopathology.Psychoanalysis and Contemporary Thought, 6, 187–254.
- Blatt, S. J., Wein, S. J., Chevron, E., & Quinlan, D. M. (1979). Parental representations and depression in normal young adults.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 88, 388–397.
- Blatt, S. J., & Zuroff, D. C. (1992). Interpersonal relatedness and self-definition: Two prototypes for depression.Clinical Psychology Review, 12, 527–562.
- Bowlby, J. (1973).Attachment and loss: Vol. 2. Separation, anxiety, and anger. New York: Basic Books.
- Brewin, C. R., Firth-Cozens, J., Furnham, A., & McManus, C. (1992). Self-criticism in adulthood and recalled childhood experience.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 101, 561–566. CrossRef
- Buros, O. K. (Ed.), (1965).The sixth mental measurements yearbook. Highland Park, NJ: Gryphon Press.
- Cannon-Spoor, H. E., Potkin, S. G., & Wyatt, R. J. (1982). Measurement of premorbid adjustment in chronic schizophrenia.Schizophrenia Bulletin, 8, 470–484.
- Cohen, J., & Cohen, P. (1983).Applied multiple regression: Correlational analysis for the behavioral sciences. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Fichman, L., Koestner, R., & Zuroff, D. C. (in press). Depressive styles in adolescence: Assessment, relation to social functioning, and developmental trends.Journal of Youth and Adolescence.
- Harter, S. (1986). Processes underlying the construction, maintenance, and enhancement of the self-concept in children. In J. Suls and A. Greenwald (Eds.),Psychological perspectives on the self (Vol. 3, pp. 136–182). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Harter, S. (1990). Developmental differences in the nature of self-representations: Implications for the understanding, assessment, and treatment of maladaptive behavior.Cognitive Therapy and Research, 14, 113–142. CrossRef
- Hazan, C., & Shaver, P. (1987). Conceptualizing romantic love as an attachment process.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 52, 511–524. CrossRef
- Hazan, C., & Shaver, P. (1990). Love and work: An attachment-theoretical perspective.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 59, 270–280. CrossRef
- Koestner, R., Zuroff, D. C., & Powers, T. A. (1991). The family origins of adolescent self criticism and its continuity into adulthood.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 100, 191–197. CrossRef
- Maccoby, E. E. (1961). The taking of adult roles in middle childhood.Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 63, 493–503.
- Main, M., Kaplan, N., & Cassidy, J. (1985). In I. Bretherton and E. Waters (Eds.), Growing points of attachment theory and research.Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 50, 66–104.
- McClelland, D. C., Constantian, C. A., Regalado, D., and Stone, C. (1982). Effects of child-rearing practices on adult maturity. In D. C. McClelland (Ed.),Development of social maturity (pp. 209–249). New York: Irvington.
- McClelland, D. C., & Pilon, D. A. (1983). Sources of adult motives in parent behavior in early childhood.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 44, 564–574.
- McCranie, E. W., & Bass, J. D. (1984). Childhood family antecedents of dependency and self criticism: Implications for depression.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 93, 3–8.
- Monroe, S. M., & Simons, A. D. (1991). Diathesis-stress theories in the context of life stress research: Implications for the depressive disorders.Psychological Bulletin, 110, 406–425. CrossRef
- Nietzel, M. T., & Harris, M. J. (1990). Relationship of dependency and achievement/autonomy to depression.Clinical Psychology Review, 10, 279–297. CrossRef
- Powers, T. A., & Zuroff, D. C. (1988). Interpersonal consequences of overt self-criticism: A comparison with neutral and self-enhancing presentations of self.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54, 1054–1062. CrossRef
- SAS Institute Inc. (1989).SAS/STAT user's guide, Version 6, 4th edition, vol. 2, Cary, NC: Author.
- Sears, P. S. (1963).The effect of classroom conditions on the strength of achievement motive and work output of elementary school children (Cooperative Research Project No. 873). Washington, DC: U.S. Office of Education.
- Sears, R. R. (1937). Experimental studies of projection, II: Ideas of reference.Journal of Social Psychology, 8, 389–400.
- Sears, R. R. (1961). Relation of early socialization experiences to aggression in middle childhood.Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 63, 466–492.
- Sears, R. R. (1970). Relation of early socialization experiences to self-concepts and gender role in middle childhood.Child Development, 41, 267–289.
- Sears, R. R., Maccoby, E. E., & Levin, H. (1957).Patterns of childrearing. Evanston, II: Row Peterson.
- Sroufe, L. A., Fox, N. E., & Pancake, V. R. (1983). Attachment and dependency in developmental perspective.Child Development, 54, 1615–1627.
- Zuroff, D. C. (1993).Adult attachment styles of individuals vulnerable to depression, Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Zuroff, D. C., & de Lorimier, S. (1989). Ideal and actual romantic partners of women varying in dependency and self-criticism.Journal of Personality, 57, 826–846.
- Zuroff, D. C., & Franko, D. L. (1986).Depressed and test anxious students' interactions with friends: Effects of dependency and self-criticism. Paper presented at the Eastern Psychological Association Convention, New York.
- Zuroff, D. C., Moskowitz, D. S., Wielgus, M. S., Powers, T. A., & Franko, D. L. (1983). Construct validation of the dependency and self-criticism scales of the Depressive Experiences Questionnaire.Journal of Research in Personality, 17, 226–241. CrossRef
- Self-criticism at age 12: A longitudinal study of adjustment
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 18, Issue 4 , pp 367-385
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- lifespan development