Hemodynamics in the colonic mucosa of rats with dextran sulfate-induced colitis in the early phase
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We investigated hemodynamics in the colonic mucosa of rats with experimental colitis induced by the administration of dextran sulfate sodium (DSS). As parameters of hemodynamics, we determined the indices of mucosal hemoglobin concentration (IHb) and mucosal oxygen saturation (ISO2), measured by reflectance spectrophotometry, and an index of colonic mucosal blood flow (Flow), measured by laser-Doppler flowmetry. In the ascending colon, each parameter was measured by a combination of these methods after 1, 3, 5, 7, and 10 days of DSS administration. Histopathological examination was also performed. IHb in the DSS group increased with time; on the 7th day, the value was 126.9±8.32, while that in the control group was 85.0±4.14, IHb in the DSS group being significantly increased (P<0.02). ISO2 in the DSS group was lower than that in the control group, and on the 7th day, was significantly lower in the DSS group (25.7±1.34) than in the control group (33.4±1.77) (P<0.01). No changes in Flow were observed in either the DSS or the control group during the administration period, and no significant difference in Flow was found between the two groups. On histopathological examination, we observed a time-dependent increase in the infiltration of inflammatory cells in the ascending colon of rats treated with DSS, but changes such as erosion and ulceration were not found in the superficial layer of the mucosa. No histopathological changes were found in the control animals. In the early phase of the experimental colitis, hemodynamic alterations in the colonic mucosa were already present at the time the slight histopathological changes developed. These observations seemed to indicate the involvement of hemodynamic alterations in the subsequent tissue injury.
- Hiramatsu M, Sakai M, Uchino H, et al. Cecal and colonic blood flow in the early developing stage of rat experimental ulcerative colitis induced by dextran sulfate sodium (in Japanese with English abstract). Gastroenterol Endosc 1988;30:2567–2576.
- Ohkusa T. Production of experimental ulcerative colitis in hamster by dextran sulfate sodium and change in intestinal microflora (in Japanese with English abstract). Nippon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi (Jpn J Gastroenterol). 1985;82:1327–1336.
- Matts SGF. The value of rectal biopsy in the diagnosis of ulcerative colitis. Q F Med 1961;30:393–407.
- Murthy SNS, Cooper HS, Shim H, et al. Treatment of dextran sulfate sodium-induced murine colitis by intracolonic cyclosporin. Dig Dis Sci 1993;38:1722–1734. CrossRef
- Guslandi M, Polli D, Sorgi M, et al. Rectal blood flow in ulcerative colitis. Am J Gastroenterol 1995;90:579–580.
- Tada M, Shimizu S, Nishimura M, et al. Endoscopic measurement of mucosal blood flow of the large intestine of ulcerative colitis by hydrogen clearance method (in Japanese with English abstract). Gastroenterol Endosc 1984;26:1062–1067.
- Su KC, Leung FW, Guth PH, Assessment of hemodynamics in normal human colon and patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Gastrointest Endosc 1989;35:22–27.
- Hiwatashi N, Watanabe H. An electron microscopic study of ulcerative colitis (in Japanese with English abstract). Nippon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi (Jpn J Gastroenterol) 1982;79:1106–1114.
- Kvietys PR, Shepherd AP, Granger DN, et al. Laser-Doppler, H2 clearance, and microsphere estimates of mucosal blood flow. Am J Physiol 1985;250:G221-G227.
- Lundec OC, Kvernebo K, Larsen S. Evaluation of endoscopic laser Doppler flowmetry for measurement of human gastric blood flow. Scand J Gastroenterol 1986;21:871–880.
- Leung FW, Morishita T, Livingston EH, et al. Reflectance spectrophotometry for the assessment of gastroduodenal mucosal perfusion. Am J Physiol 1987;252:G797-G804.
- Suematsu M, Suzuki M, Kitahora T, et al. Increased respiratory burst of leukocytes in inflammatory bowel disease. The analysis of free radical generation by using chemiluminescence probe. J Clin Lab Immunol 1987;24:125–128.
- Shimonds NJ, Rampton DS. Inflammatory bowel disease—a radical view. Gut 1993;34:865–868.
- Kurose I, Miura S, Fukumura D, et al. In vivo observation of endothelin-induced hemodynamic changes in rat intestinal microvascular beds. J Vasc Med Biol 1991;3:55.
- Middleton SJ, Shorthouse M, Hunter JO. Increased nitric oxide synthesis in ulcerative colitis. Lancet 1993;341:456–466. CrossRef
- Yonei Y, Oda M, Nakamura M, et al. Histochemical and electron microscopic and cytochemical studies on the autonomic innervation of the colonic mucosa in rats (in Japanese). Autonomic Nervous System 1984;21:423–433.
- Hemodynamics in the colonic mucosa of rats with dextran sulfate-induced colitis in the early phase
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 31, Issue 4 , pp 512-517
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- colonic mucosal hemodynamics
- experimental colitis in rats
- reflectance spectrophotometry
- laser-Doppler flowmetry
- dextran sulfate sodium
- Industry Sectors