The effect of prayer on physical health: Experimental evidence
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
There has been enough published scientific work on the direct effects of prayer upon physical health in the past thirty years to merit review. While experimental evidence has yet to reveal large direct effects of prayer on physical health, the effects which have been found are notable and encourage further study. In this article the authors review the major studies, discuss problems in their interpretation, and suggest considerations for future experimental study of prayer.
- Martin, J. and Carlson, C., “Spiritual Dimensions of health Psychology.” In Miller, W.R., and Martin, J., eds.,Behavioral Therapy and Religion. Beverly Hills: Sage Publications, 1988, pp. 57–110.
- Koenig, H.G., Bearon, L.B., and Dayringer, R., “Physician Perspectives on the Role of Religion in the Physician-Older Patient Relationship.”The Journal of Family Practice, 1989,28(4), 441–448.
- Poloma, M.M., “The Effects of Prayer on Mental Well-being.”Second Opinion, 1993,18(3), 37–51.
- Levin, J.S., Lyons, J.S., and Larson, D.B., “Prayer and Health during Pregnancy: Findings from the Galveston Low Birth Weight Study.”Southern Medical Journal, 1993,86(9), 1022–1027.
- Foglio, J.P., and Brody, H., “Religion Faith and Family Medicine.”The Journal of Family Practice, 1988,27, 473–474.
- King, D.G., “Religion and health Relationships: A Review.”Journal of Religion and Health, 1990,29(2), 101–112; Levin, J.S., and Schiller, P.L., “Is There a Religious Factor in Health?”Journal of Religion and Health, 1987,26(1), 9–36; Levin, J.S. & Vanderpool, H.Y. (1991). Religious Factors in Physical Health and the Prevention of Illness.Prevention in Human Services, 1991,9, 41–64.
- Joyce, C.R.B., and Welldon, R.M.C., “The Objective Efficacy of Prayer: A Double-Blind Clinical Trial.”The Journal of Chronic Diseases, 1965,18, 367–377.
- Ibid., pp. 367–377.
- Collipp, P.J., “The Efficacy of Prayer: A Triple-Blind Study.”Medical Times, 1969,97, 201–204.
- Ibid., pp. 201–204.
- Ibid.,, pp. 201–204.
- Rosner, F., “The Efficacy of prayer: Scientific vs Religious Evidence.”Journal of Religion and Health, 1975,14, 294–298.
- Collip,op. cit., “, pp. 201–204.
- Loehr, F..The Power of Prayer on Plants, New York, Doubleday, 1959.
- Wulff, D.M.,Psychology of Religion: Classic and Contemporary Views, New York, John Wiley and Sons, 1991.
- Spindrift Papers. Published by Spindrift, Inc., 100 West Main Street, Suite 408, Lansdale, PA 19446 (Telephone: 215-361-8499).
- Rockwell, T., “[Review of the Spindrift Papers].”The Journal of the American Society for Psychical Research, 1993,87, 387–396.
- Joyce and Welldonop. cit., “, pp. 367–377.
- Rockwellop. cit., “[, pp. 387–396.
- Ibid.,, pp. 387–396; Rush, J.H., “A Postscript on Rockwell's Review of The Spindrift Papers.”The Journal of the American Society for Psychical Research, 1993,87, 397–398.
- Rockwell, T.op. cit., “[, pp. 387–396; Rushop. cit., “A Postscript on Rockwell's Review of The Spindrift Papers.”The Journal of the American Society for Psychical Research, 1993,87, pp. 397–398.
- Byrd, R.C., “Positive Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer in a Coronary Care Unit Population.”Southern Medical Journal, 1988,81(7), 826–829.
- Ibid.,, pp. 826–829.
- Galton, F., “Statistical Inquiries into the Efficacy of Prayer.”Fortnightly Review, 1872,12, 125–135. Cited in part inArchives of Internal Medicine, 1970,125, 580–581, 587.
- Kloss, W.E., “Spirituality — The Will to Wellness.”The Harding Journal of Religion and Psychiatry, 1988,7(1), 3–8.
- Loehr, F.op. cit.,. pp. 826–829.
- Dossey, L.,Recovering the Soul: A Scientific and Spiritual Search, New York, Bantam Books, 1989.
- Rosner, F.op. cit., “, pp. 294–298.
- The effect of prayer on physical health: Experimental evidence
Journal of Religion and Health
Volume 33, Issue 3 , pp 211-219
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links