Parent and teacher reports of problem behaviors in child psychiatric inpatients: Cross-informant correlations on admission and at 5-month follow-up
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The present study compared parent and teacher evaluations of behavioral problems in a sample of school-age child psychiatric inpatients on admission and at 5-month follow-up. Both parents and teachers viewed changes in children's emotional/behavioral problems over the course of the follow-up period rather similarly. In general, parents and teachers viewed children's behavior as significantly improved relative to pretreatment.
- Jemerin JM, Philips I: Changes in inpatient child psychiatry: consequences and recommendations. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 31:397–403,1988.
- Kolko DJ: Short-term follow-up of child psychiatric hospitalization: clinical description, predictors, and correlates. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 31:719–727,1922.
- Nurcombe B: Goal-directed treatment planning and principles of brief hospitalization. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 28:26–30,1988.
- Costello AJ, Dulcan MK, Kalas R: A checklist of hospitalization criteria for use with children. Hosp Community Psychiatry 42:823–828,1991.
- Jones RN, Latkowski ME, Kircher JC, McMahon WM: The Child Behavior Checklist: normative information for inpatients. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 27: 632–635,1988.
- Achenbach TM, McGonaughy SH, Howell CT: Child/adolescent behavioral and emotional problems: implications of cross-informant correlations for situational specifity. Psychol Bull 101:213–232,1987. CrossRef
- Fergusson DM, Horwood LJ: The trait and method components of ratings of conduct disorder—Part I. Maternal and teacher evaluations of conduct disorder in young children. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 28:249–260,1987.
- Blotcky MJ, Dimperio TL, Gossett JT: Follow-up of children treated in psychiatric hospitals: A review of studies. Am J Psychiatry 141:1499–1507,1984.
- Pfeiffer SI, Strezelecki SC: Inpatient psychiatric treatment of children and adolescents: A review of outcome studies. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 29:847–853,1990.
- Kazdin AE, Bass D: Parent, teacher and hospital staff evaluations of severely disturbed children. Am. J. Orthopsychiatry, 58:512–523,1988.
- American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 3rd ed., revised. Washington, DC: APA, 1987.
- Piha J, Salmisaari T, Koskinen M: Characteristics of recent child psychiatric inpatient treatment in Finland. Psychiatr Fennica, 21:77–86, 1990.
- Rutter M, Tizard J, Whitmore K: Education, Health and Behaviour. London: Longman, 1970.
- Rutter M: A children's behaviour questionnaire for completion by teachers: preliminary findings. J Child Psych Psychiatry, 8:1–11, 1967.
- Tamminen T, Almqvist F, Piha J: Psychiatric symptoms in Finnish children: an epidemiological study of 1000 8-year old children in five regions of the country. Reports of Psychiatria Fennica No 91, 1991.
- Crowder MJ, Hand DJ: Analysis of Repeated Measures. London: Chapman and Hall, 1990.
- Agresti A: Categorial Data Analysis. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1990.
- Fleiss JL: Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions, 2nd edn. New York; John Wiley, 1981.
- Dixon WJ (ed.): BMDP Statistical Software Manual, Vol 1&2. Berkley: University of California Press, 1992.
- Achenbach TM, Edelbrock CS: Manual for the Teacher's Report Form and Teacher Version of the Child Behavior Profile. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry 1986.
- Miller LC: Q-sort agreement among observers of children. Am J Orthopsychiatry 34:71–75,1964.
- Morris JD, Arrant D: Behavior ratings of emotionally disturbed children by teachers, parents and school psychologists. Psychology in the Schools 15:450–455, 1978.
- Quay HC, Sprague RL, Shulman HS, Miller AL: Some correlates of personality disorder and conduct disorder in a child guidance clinic sample. Psychology in the Schools 3:44–47,1966.
- Dalton R, Bolding D, Woods J, Daruna J: Short-term psychiatric hospitalization of children. Hosp Community Psychiatry, 38:973–976, 1987.
- Kazdin AE: Hospitalization of antisocial children: clinical course, follow-up status, and predictors of outcome. Behav Res Therapy 11:1–67,1989.
- Ney PG, Mulvhill D, Hanna R: The effectiveness of child psychiatric inpatient care. Can. J. Psychiatry, 29:26–30,1984.
- Parent and teacher reports of problem behaviors in child psychiatric inpatients: Cross-informant correlations on admission and at 5-month follow-up
Child Psychiatry and Human Development
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 85-95
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Cross-Informant Correlations
- Short-Term Inpatient Treatment