Male brooding behaviour of the giant water bugLethocerus deyrollei vuillefroy (Hemiptera: Belostomatidae)
- Noritaka Ichikawa
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The male brooding behaviour ofLethocerus deyrollei was investigated. Eggs were laid as masses on sticks above the water surface. Males did not leave the sticks until the eggs hatched. They mainly stayed at the bases of the sticks in water in the day, and frequently climbed up at night covering the egg-masses with their bodies. Eggs with male brooding had a 94.3% hatching rate. Eggs without male brooding failed to hatch and desiccated. Eggs with brooding considerably increased in wet weight in development; eggs without brooding decreased in wet weight. Eggs without male brooding and artificially supplied with water had a 93.2% hatching rate. Male brooding is considered to supply eggs with water.
- Cullen, M. J. 1969 The biology of giant water bugs (Hemiptera: Belostomatidae) in Trinidad.Proc. Roy. Ent. Lond. 44: 123–137.
- Hoffman, W. E. 1931 Studies on the bionomics of the water-bug,Lethocerus indicus (Hemiptera Belostomatidae) in China.Verhandl. Vereinigung theor. angew. Limnol. 5 (2): 661–667.
- Hoffman, W. E. 1933 Additional data on the life history ofLethocerus indicus (Hemiptera Belostomatidae).Lingnan Sci. J. 12 (4): 595–596.
- Ichikawa, N. 1983 Mating and ovipositing behaviour ofLethocerus deyrollei.Insectarium 20: 94–97. (In Japanese)
- Ichikawa, N. 1985 Breeding ecology of the Giant Water Bug,Lethocerus deyrollei.J. Japan Assoc. Zool. Gard. Aquariums 27(4): 103–106. (In Japanese)
- madhavan, M. M. 1974 Structure and function of the hydropyle of the egg of the bug,Sphaerodema molestum.J. Insect Physiol. 20: 1341–1349. CrossRef
- Maynard Smith, J. 1982 Evolution and the theory of games. Cambridge Univ. Press. (Japanese translation E. Teramoto & M. Kakehashi 1985 Sangyo-Tosho Press.
- Miyatake, Y. 1975 The keeping ofLethocerus deyrollei.Nature Study 21 (5): 61–64. (In Japanese)
- Ralston, J. S. 1977 Egg guarding by male assassin bugs of the genusZelus (Hemiptera: Reduviidae).Psyche 84: 103–107.
- Smith, R. L. 1976a Male brooding behaviour of the Water BugAbedus herberti (Hemiptera: Belostomatidae).Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 69: 740–747.
- Smith, R. L. 1979 Paternity assurance and altered roles in the mating behaviour of a giant water bug,Abedus herberti (Heteroptera: Belostomatidae).Anim. Behav. 27 (3): 716–725.
- Tallamy, D. W. 1984 Insect parental care.Bio. Sci. 34(1): 20–24.
- Tawfic, M. F. S. 1969 The life-history of the Giant Water-Bug,Lethocerus niloticus Stael.Bull. Soc. Ent. Egypte. LIII: 299–310.
- Male brooding behaviour of the giant water bugLethocerus deyrollei vuillefroy (Hemiptera: Belostomatidae)
Journal of Ethology
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 121-127
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Himeji City Aquarium, 670, Himeji, Hyogo, Japan