Maternal behaviour of free-ranging sows during the first 8 days after farrowing
- Davide Csermely
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The maternal behaviour of free-ranging domestic sows was studied. The sows were observed continuously during 1–2 h periods randomly distributed between 0730 and 1930, from farrowing to the 8th day. The behaviour parameters considered and the general experimental layout were the same as ones used in a previous study. In order to more precisely evaluate possible differences of behaviour between the outdoor and the indoor condition, this new study did not reveal great differences in maternal behaviour. Over time, the sows increased initiation and termination of nursing episodes, with no statistical difference between the sows' behaviour. There was a trend to reduce the variability of the behaviour repertoire over post-farrowing days. This may be the result of the sows' freedom of action and their ability to display the natural behaviours. The implications of environmental conditions on behaviour are discussed.
- Algers B. & P. Jensen 1985 Communication during suckling in the domestic pig. Effects of continuous noise.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 14: 49–61.
- Arellano P.E., C. Pijoan, L.D. Jacobson & B. Algers 1992 Stereotyped behaviour, social interactions and suckling pattern of pigs housed in groups or in single crates.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 35: 157–166.
- Baxter M.R. 1982 The nesting behaviour of sows and its disturbance by confinement at farrowing. In: W. Bessei (ed.),Disturbed behaviour in farm animals. pp. 101–114. E. Ulmer Verlag, Stuttgart.
- Bishop Y.M.M., S.E. Fienberg & P.W. Holland 1975 Discrete Multivariate Analysis. Theory and Practice. 557 pp. MIT Press, Cambridge and London.
- Brouns F., F. MacMenemy & S.A. Edwards 1992 Dommance hierarchies in sows and the consequence for liveweight gain in competitive and non-competitive feeding systems.Proc, Brit. Soc. Anim. Prod. Winter Meet.
- Castrèn H., B. Algers & P. Jensen 1989 Occurrence of unsuccessful sucklings in newborn piglets in a semi-natural environment.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 23: 61–73.
- Csermely D. & D.G.M. Wood-Gush 1986 Agonistic behaviour in grouped sows: I. The influence of feeding.Biol. Behav. 11: 244–252.
- Csermely D. & D.G.M. Wood-Gush 1990. Agonistic behaviour in grouped sows: II. How social rank affects feeding and drinking behaviour.Boll. Zool. 57: 55–58.
- Csermely D. & E. Nicosia 1991 Maternal behaviour in sows of different social rank.J. Ethol. 9: 83–93. CrossRef
- Hartsock T.G. & H.B. Graves 1976 Neonatal behaviour and nutrition-related mortality in domestic swine.J. Anim. Sci. 42: 235–241.
- Horrell I. & J. Hodgson 1992a The basis of sow-piglet identification. 1. The identification by sows of their own piglets and the presence of intruders.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 33: 319–327.
- Horrell I. & J. Hodgson 1992b The basis of sow-piglet identification. 2. Cues used by piglets to identify their dam and home pen.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 33: 329–343.
- Hutson G.D. 1992 A comparison of operant responding by farrowing sows for food and nest-building materials.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 34: 221–230.
- Jensen P. 1986 Observations on the maternal behaviour of free-ranging domestic pigs.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 16: 131–142.
- Jensen P. 1988a Maternal behaviour of free-ranging domestic pigs. I: Results of a three-year study.Swedish Univ. Agric. Sciences, Report 22, 56 pp.
- Jensen P. 1988b Maternal behaviour and mother-young interactions during lactation in free-ranging domestic pigs.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 20: 297–308.
- Jensen P., K. Florén & I. Hobroh 1987 Periparturient changes in behaviour in free-ranging domestic pigs.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 17: 69–76.
- Jensen P. & I. Redbo 1987 Behaviour during nest leaving in free-ranging domestic pigs.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 18: 355–362.
- Jensen P., G. Stangel & B. Algers 1991 Nursing and suckling behaviour of semi-naturally kept pigs during the first 10 days postpartum.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 31: 195–209.
- Lewis N.J. & J.F. Hurnik 1985 The development of nursing in swine.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 14: 225–232.
- Newberry R.C. & D.G.M. Wood-Gush 1985 The suckling behaviour of domestic pigs in a semi-natural environment.Behaviour 95: 11–25.
- Petersen V., B. Recén & K. Vestergaard 1990 Behaviour of sows and piglets during farrowing under free-range conditions.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 26: 169–179.
- Petherick J.C. 1983 A note on nursing termination and resting behaviour of suckling piglets.Appl. Anim. Ethol. 9: 359–365. CrossRef
- Siegel S. 1956 Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioural Sciences, 312 pp. McGraw-Hill Co., New York.
- Stangel G. & P. Jensen 1991 Behaviour of semi-naturally kept sows and piglets (except suckling) during 10 days postpartum.Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 31: 211–227.
- Whittemore C.T. & D. Fraser 1974 The nursing and suckling behaviour of pigs. II. Vocalizations of the sow in relation to suckling behaviour and milk ejection.Br. Vet. J. 130: 346–356.
- Maternal behaviour of free-ranging sows during the first 8 days after farrowing
Journal of Ethology
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 53-62
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Davide Csermely (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biology and General Physiology, University of Parma, Avenue of Sciences, I-43100, Parma, Italy