Removal of mercury(II) and methylmercury from solution by tannin adsorbents
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Adsorption of mercury(II) and methylmercury by two tannin sorbents was investigated using radiotracers. High sorption capacities for mercury are registered for both sorbents at pH 7. ForEucaliptus Saligna Sm sorbent (ETS) the maximum sorption capacity was 1.2±0.2 mmol/g and forLysiloma latisiliqua sorbent (LTS) was 8.5±0.2 mmol/g. Methylmercury adsorption maximum was recorded at pH 4 and in buffered solutions at pH2. This species can be recovered in the presence of mercury(II). Influence of different ions present in water was examined. High recoveries were reported for ETS in tap water samples but a decrease of uptake is observed for seawater.
- Y. Madric, C. Cabrera, T. Perez Corona, C. Camara, Anal. Chem., 67 (1995) 750.
- L. Drake, G. Rayson, Anal. Chem. 1 (1996) 22 A.
- N. Verma, R. Rehal, A. Rao, Intern. J. Environmental Studies, 43 (1993) 151.
- T. Sakaguchi, A. Nakajima, Sep. Sci. Techn., 21 (1986) 519.
- H. Yamaguchi, M. Higasida, I. Sakata, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 45 (1992) 1455.
- H. Yamaguchi, M. Higasida, I. Sakata, J. Appli. Polym. Sci., 45 (1992) 1463.
- S. Olivares, J. Torres, D. De La Rosa, L. Lima, F. Martínez C. Camunita, J. Radioanal. Nuc. Chem., 231 (1998) 1.
- M. Marhol, Ion Exchangers in Analytical Chemistry, Elsevier Science, New York, 1982.
- Pizzi A., J. Macromol. Rev., 30 (1980) 24.
- Myasoedova, S. Savin, CRC Critical Revs. Anal. Chem., 17 (1986).
- Removal of mercury(II) and methylmercury from solution by tannin adsorbents
Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry
Volume 240, Issue 1 , pp 361-365
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Instituto Superior de Ciencias y Technología Nucleares, Salvador Allenda Ave. y Luaces, 63, Havana 6, Cuba
- 2. Instituto de Pesquisas Energéticas e Nucleares, C.P. 11049-CEP 05422-970, S. Paulo, Brazil