Opportunistic and restrictive matings among wild chimpanzees in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The mating patterns of free-ranging chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) of the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania, were studied. Opportunistic mating (non-competitive and temporary mating) was frequently observed in a large-sized unit-group, among young, low-ranking males, and among young, newcomer, non-ovulating females. Restrictive mating (a continuous sexual relationship between a particular pair which includes possessiveness and consortship) was frequently observed in a small-sized unit-group, among middle- and old-aged, high-ranking males, and among old, resident, ovulating females. Relations between those characteristics, such as group size and composition, ages of the individuals of both sexes, female estrous stages, and life history, and the 2 mating patterns are discussed.
- Altmann, J. 1974 Observational study of behavior; sampling methods.Behaviour 49: 227–267.
- Goodall, J. 1977 Infant killing and cannibalism in free-living chimpanzees.Folia Primatol. 28:259–282.
- Graham, C.E. (Ed.) 1981 Reproductive biology of the great apes. Academic Press, New York, 437 pp.
- Kawanaka, K. 1981 Infanticide and cannibalism in chimpanzees, with special reference to the newly observed case in the Mahale Mountains.African Study Monogr. 1:69–99.
- McGinnis, P.R. 1979 Sexual behaviour in free-living chimpanzees: consort relationships. In: D.A. Hamburg & E.R. McCown (eds.)The great apes pp.429–439. Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park.
- Nishida, T. 1968 The social group of wild chimpanzees in the Mahali Mountains.Primates 9: 167–224. CrossRef
- Nishida, T. 1979 The social structure of chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains. In: D.A. Hamburg & E.R. McCown (eds.)The great apes pp.73–121. Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park.
- Nishida, T. 1981 The world of wild chimpanzees. Chuo-Koron, Tokyo. (in Japanese)
- Nishida, T. Alpha status and agonistic alliance in wild chimpanzees(Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) Primates 24 (in press).
- Nissen, H.W. & R.M. Yerkes 1943 Reproduction in the chimpanzee: report on forty-nine births.Anat. Rec. 86:567–578. CrossRef
- Taub, D.M. 1980 Female choice and mating strategies among wild Barbary macaques (Macaca sylvanus L.). In: D.G. Lindburg (ed.)The macaques pp.287–344. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York.
- Tutin, C.E.G. 1979 Mating patterns and reproductive strategies in a community of wild chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii).Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 6:29–38. CrossRef
- Tutin, C.E.G. 1980 Reproductive behaviour of wild chimpanzees in the Gombe National Park, Tanzania.J. Reprod. Fert., Suppl. 28: 43–57.
- Tutin, C.E.G. & P.R. McGinnis 1981 Chimpanzee reproduction in the wild. In: C.E. Graham (ed.)Reproductive biology of the great apes. pp.239–264. Academic Press, New York.
- Tutin, C.E.G. & W.C. McGrew 1973 Chimpanzee copulatory behavior.Folia Primatol. 19: 237–256.
- van Lawick-Goodall, J. 1968 The behaviour of free-living chimpanzees in the Gombe Stream Reserve.Anim. Behav. Monogr. 1:161–311.
- Opportunistic and restrictive matings among wild chimpanzees in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania
Journal of Ethology
Volume 1, Issue 1-2 , pp 75-85
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links