Numerical model of deep venous thrombosis detection using venous occlusion strain gauge plethysmography
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Strain gauge plethysmography (SGP) is a non-invasive method used in the detection of deep venous thrombosis (DVT). The technique is based on the measurement of calf volume changes in response to venous occlusion by a thigh cuff, the volume changes reflecting the rates of arterial inflow and venous outflow. A numerical model of the blood circulation within the limb and the response of this to a SGP test has been derived, based on treating the different parts of the circulatory system in the leg as resistance and capacitance elements. The simulation results were compared with clinical studies and support the ability of SGP to detect non-occlusive clots of more than 50–60% of the lumen, as well detecting calf vein pressure appears to be a particularly important factor within the model. In addition, increases in venous tone due to post-operative venospasm were shown to be a potential source of false positive results.
- Anderson, F. A., Durgin, W. W., andBrownell Wheeler, H. (1986): ‘Interpretation of venous occlusion plethysmorgaphy using action-linear model’,Med. Biol. Eng. Comput.,24, pp. 379–385.
- Anderson, S. (1986): ‘Thermography and plethysmography in the diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis: a comparison with phlebography’,Acta Med. Scand.,219, pp. 359–366.
- Caro, C. G., Pedley, T. J., Schroter, R. C., andSeed, W. A. (1978): The mechanics of the circulation’ (Oxford University Press)
- Cramer, M., Beach, K. W., andStrandness, D. E. (1983a):, ‘The detection of proximal deep venous thrombosis by strain gauge plethysmography through the use of an outflow/capacitance discriminant line’,Bruit,7, pp. 17–21
- Cramer, M., Langois, Y., Beach, K., Martin, D., andStrandness, D. E. (1983b): ‘Standardization of venous flow measurements by strain gauge plethysmography in normal subject’,Bruit,7, pp. 33–40.
- Cranley, J. J., Canos, A. J., andSull, W. J. (1976): ‘The diagnosis of deep ven thrombosis: fallability of clinical symptoms and signs’,Arch. Surg.,11, pp. 34–36.
- Croal, S., Birkmyre, J., McNally, M. A., Hamilton, C., andMüllan, R. A. B. (1993): ‘Strain gauge plethysmography for the detection of deep venous thrombosis’,J. Biomed. Eng.,15, pp. 135–139.
- Hayes, J. P., Druga, J., Needham, T. N., Vermilion, B. D., andEvans, W. E. (1986): ‘The contribution of the superficial venous system in the calculation of maximum venous outflow in the normal extremity’. Proc. IEEE 8th Ann. Conf. Eng. Med. Biol. Soc., pp. 27–29.
- Hewlett, A. W., andVan Zwalumenburg, J. G. (1909): ‘The rate of blood flow in the arm’,Heart,1, pp. 87–97
- Laverick, M. D., McGivern, R. C., Brown, J. G., Birkmyre, J. S., Kernohan, W. G., Croal, S. A., McNally, M. A., andMollan, R. A. B. (1992): ‘A computerised system of screening for deep venous thrombosis’,Thromb. Res.,66, pp. 207–214 CrossRef
- McLachan, M. S. F., Thomson, J. G., Taylor, D. W., Kelly, M. E., andSackett, D. L. (1979): ‘Observer variation in the interpretation of lower limb venograms’,Am. J. Roentgenology,132, pp. 227–230
- McNally, M. A., Mollan, R. A. B., andBuxton, M. J. (1993a): ‘Reducing the cost of post-operative deep venous thrombosis’,J. Manage. Med.,7, pp. 22–28
- McNally, M. A., Kernohan, W. G., Croal, S. A., andMollan, R. A. B. (1993a): ‘Deep venous thrombosis in orthopaedic patients: improving the specificity of diagnosis’,Clin. Orthop. Rel. Res.,295, pp. 275–280
- McNally, M. A., andMollan, R. A. B. (1993): ‘Total hip replacement, lower limb blood flow and venous thrombogenesis’,J. Bone Jt. Surg.,75-B, pp. 640–644
- Mellander, S., andBjornberg, J. (1992): ‘Regulation of vascular smooth muscle tone and capillary pressure’,NIPS,7, pp. 113–119
- Seagar, A. D., Gibbs, J. M., andDavis, F. M. (1984): ‘Interpretation of venous occlusion plethysmographic measurements using a simple model’,Med. Biol. Eng. Comput.,22, pp. 12–18
- Sinton, A. M., Seagar, A. D., andDavis, F. M. (1988): ‘Automated venous occlusion plethysmograph’,Med. Biol. Eng. Comput.,26, pp. 295–302.
- Ward, P. E., Bradley, F. B., Brown, J. G., Kernohan, W. G., McGivern, R. C., andMollan, R. A. B. (1989): ‘Impedance plethysmography’,Clin. Orthop.,248, pp. 195–199
- Woolson, S. T., andPottorf, G. (1991): ‘Venous ultrasonography in the detection of proximal vein thrombosis after total knee arthroplasty,Clin. Orthop.,273, pp. 131–000?
- Numerical model of deep venous thrombosis detection using venous occlusion strain gauge plethysmography
Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing
Volume 38, Issue 3 , pp 348-355
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Deep venous thrombosis
- Venous occlusion plethysmography
- Limb blood flow
- Theoretical model
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Experimental Cardiac Electrophysiology Unit, Papworth Hospital, Cambridge
- 2. John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford
- 3. Maternity Unit, Mater Infirmorum Hospital, Belfast
- 4. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Musgrave Park Hospital, Queens' University of Belfast, Belfast
- 5. School of Health Sciences, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim