Adsorption of UO2 2+ on natural composite materials
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The prediction of the adsorption behavior of natural composite materials was studied by a single mineral approach. The adsorption of U(VI) on single minerals such as goethite, hematite, kaolinite and quartz was fully modeled using the diffuse-layer model in various experimental conditions. A quasi-thermodynamic database of surface complexation constants for single minerals was established in a consistent manner. In a preliminary work, the adsorption of a synthetic mixture of goethite and kaolinite was simulated using the model established for a single mineral system. The competitive adsorption of U(VI) between goethite and kaolinite can be well explained by the model. The adsorption behavior of natural composite materials taken from the Koongarra uranium deposit (Australia) was predicted in a similar manner. In comparison with the synthetic mixture, the prediction was less successful in the acidic pH range. However, the model predicted well the adsorption behavior in the neutral to alkaline pH range. Furthermore, the model reasonably explained the role of iron oxide minerals in the adsorption of U(VI) on natural composite materials.
- N. A. Chapman, I. G. McKinley, M. D. Hill, The Geological Disposal of Nuclear Waste, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, Chichester, 1987.
- D. Langmuir, Aqueous Environmental Geochemistry, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Upper Sadle River, 1997.
- G. H. Bolt, W. H. van Riemsdijk, Surface Chemical Processes in Soil, in: Aquatic Surface Chemistry — Chemical Processes at the Particle-Water Interface,W. Stumn (Ed.), John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1987.
- T. E. Payne, T. D. Waite, Radiochim. Acta, 52/53 (1991) 487.
- F. Wang, J. Chen, Environ. Sci. Technol., 31 (1997) 448.
- X. Wen, Q. Du, H. Tang, Eviron. Sci. Technol., 32 (1998) 870.
- V. S. Tripathi, M. D. Siegel, Z. S. Kooner, Measurement of Metal Adsorption in Oxide-Clay Mixtures: “Competitive-Additivity” among Mixture Components, SAND-91-1889C, USDOE, Washington D.C., 1991.
- J. A. Davis, D. B. Kent, Surface Complexation Modeling in Aqueous Geochemistry, Vol. 23, in Mineral-Water Interface Geochemistry,M. F. Hochella, A. F. White (Eds), Mineralogical Society of America, Washington, D.C., 1990.
- J. Jung, Y. H. Cho, P. S. Hahn, Bull. Korean Chem. Soc., 19 (1998) 324.
- J. Jung, J. K. Lee, Y. H. Cho, D. K. Keum, P. S. Hahn, J. Korean Nucl. Soc., 31 (1999).
- C. P. Huang, W. Stumn, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 43 (1973) 409. CrossRef
- D. A. Dzombak, M. M. Morel, Surface Complexation Modeling: Hydrous Ferric Oxide, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1990.
- P. W. Schindler, W. Stumn, The Surface Chemistry of oxides, hydroxides, and oxide minerals, in: Aquatic Surface Chemistry: Chemical Processes at the Particle-Water Interface,W. Stumn (Ed.), John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1987.
- J. A. Davis, R. O. James, J. O. Leckie, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 63 (1978) 480.
- M. C. Duff, C. Amrhein, Soil Sci. Am. J., 60 (1996) 1393.
- R. Edis, L. Cao, J. Cashion, D. Klessa, A. J. Koppi, T. Murakami, T. Nightingale, T. Payne, A. Snelling, N. Yanase, Chemistry and Mineralogy of Rocks and Soils, Vol. 8, in Alligator Rivers Analogue Project,P. Duerden (Ed.), Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organization, Sydney, 1992.
- T. E. Payne, J. A. Davies, T. D. Waite, Radiochim. Acta, 74 (1996) 239.
- A. L. Herbelin, J. C. Westall, FITRQL — A Computer Program for Determination of Chemical Equilibrium Constants from Experimental Data, Version 3.2, Oregon State University, Corvallis, 1996.
- M. R. Chandratillake, G. W. A. Newton, V. J. Robinson, CHEMVAL Project-Comparison of Thermodynamic Data Bases used in Geochemical Modeling, EUR-11891, Commission of European Communities, Luxembourg, 1988.
- I. Grenthe, J. Fuger, R. J. M. Konings, R. J. Lemire, A. B. Muller, C. Nguyen-Trang Cregu, H. Wanner, Chemical Thermodynamics of Uranium, Vol. 1, in: Chemical Thermodynamics,H. Wanner andI. Forest (Eds), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1992.
- D. A. Sverjensky, N. Sahai, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 60 (1996) 3773. CrossRef
- T. D. Waite, J. A. Davis, T. E. Payne, G. A. Waychunas, N. Xu, Radiochim. Acta, 24 (1994) 5465.
- C. H. Ho, N. H. Miller, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 110 (1986) 165. CrossRef
- C. D. Hsi, D. Langmuir, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 49 (1985) 1931.
- T. E. Payne, J. A. Davies, T. D. Waite, Radiochim. Acta, 66/67 (1994) 301.
- Adsorption of UO2 2+ on natural composite materials
Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry
Volume 242, Issue 2 , pp 405-412
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors