The role of family conflict and marital conflict in adolescent functioning
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recent research has suggested that general family conflict is more disruptive to child functioning than is marital conflict. We hypothesized, in contrast to earlier work, that marital conflict will contribute unique variance to our understanding of child functioning but only when it occurs in front of children. One hundred and forty-six mother/adolescent pairs served as participants. Mothers completed measures of marital and general family conflict. Both mothers and teachers completed measures on child functioning at two points in time separated by 1 year. Consistent with the earlier findings, general family conflict was more predictive of child adjustment problems than marital satisfaction. However, marital conflict occurring in front of the child was equally predictive of child problem behaviors as was general family conflict.
- Amato, P. R., and Keith, B. (1991). Parental divorce and well-being of children: A meta-analysis.Psychological Bull. 110: 26–46.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. and Larson, R. (1984).Being Adolescent: Conflict and Growth in the Teenage Years, Basic Books, New York.
- Cummings, E. M. (1994). Marital conflict and children's functioning.Social Devel. 3: 16–36.
- Cummings, E. M., Zahn-Waxler, C., and Radke-Yarrow, M. (1981). Young children's responses to expressions of anger and affection by others in the family.Child Devel. 52: 1274–1282.
- Emery, R. E. (1982). Interparental conflict and the children of discord and divorce.Psychological Bull. 92: 310–330.
- Emery, R. E. (1988).Marriage, Divorce, and Children's Adjustment, Sage, Newbury Park, CA.
- Fauber, R., Forehand, R., Thomas, A. M., and Wierson, M. (1990). A mediational model of the impact of marital conflict on adolescent adjustment in intact and divorced families: The role of disrupted parenting.Child Devel. 61: 1112–1123.
- Forehand, R. (1993). Family psychopathology and child functioning.J. Child Fam. Studies 2: 81–86.
- Forehand, R., Armistead, L., and Klein, K. (1995). Children's school performance: The roles of interparental conflict and parental divorce. In Ryan, B. A., and Adams, G. R. (eds.),The Family-School Connection: Theory, Research, and Practice. Sage, New York, pp. 250–269.
- Freeman, L. N. (1993). Violent events reported by normal urban school-aged children: Characteristics and depression correlates.J. Am. Acad. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 32: 419–423.
- Grych, J. H., and Fincham, F. D. (1990). Marital conflict and children's adjustment: A cognitive-contextual framework.Psychological Bull. 108: 267–290.
- Jaycox, L. H., and Repetti, R. L. (1993). Conflict in families and the psychological adjustment of preadolescent children.J. Fam. Psychol. 7: 344–355.
- Moos, R. H. (1974).The Social Climate Scales: An Overview, Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA.
- Moos, R. H., Insel, P. M., and Humphrey, B. (1974).Family Work and Group Environment Scales Manual, Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA.
- Myers, J. K., and Bean, L. J. (1968).A Decade Later: A Follow-up of Social Class and Mental Illness, Wiley, New York.
- O'Keefe, M. (1994). Linking marital violence, mother-child/father-child aggression, and child behavior problems.J. Fam. Viol. 9: 63–78. CrossRef
- Porter, B., and O'Leary, K. D. (1980). Marital discord and childhood behavior problems.J. Abnorm. Child Psychol. 8: 287–295. CrossRef
- Quay, H. B., and Peterson D. R. (1987).Manual for the Revised Behavior Problem Checklist, Unpublished manuscript, University of Miami.
- Spanier, G. B. (1976). Measuring dyadic adjustment: New scales for assessing the quality of marriage and similar dyads.J. Marr. Fam., 38: 15–28.
- Taylor, Zuckerman, Harik, and Groves (1994). Witnessing violence by young children and their mothers.J. Develop. Behav. Pediat. 15: 120–123.
- Tschann, J. M., Johnston, J. R., Kline, M., and Wallerstein, J. S. (1989). Pamily process and children's functioning during divorce.J. Marr. Fam. 51: 431–444.
- The role of family conflict and marital conflict in adolescent functioning
Journal of Family Violence
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 81-91
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- family conflict
- marital conflict
- adolescent functioning