High-temperature deformation measurements using digital-image correlation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The ability of the computer-vision technique of digital-image correlation to measure full-field in-plane surface deformations at elevated temperatures was evaluated by a series of experiments. Samples were subjected to pure translation, free thermal expansion and uniform tensile loads. Results are presented which show that the digital-image-correlation technique remains fully capable of accurate measurement of the displacements and strains on the surface of a planar object at temperatures up to 650°C.
- Sharp, W.N., “High-Temperature Strain/Displacement Measurement,” Handbook on Experimental Mechanics Second Revised Edition, ed. A.S. Kobayashi, SEM, 557–579 (1993).
- Malmo, J.T., Lokverg, O.J. andSlettemoen, G.A., “Interferometric Testing at Very High Temperatures by TV Holography (ESPI),”Experimental Mechanics,28 (3),315–321 (1988). CrossRef
- Morimoto, Y., Seguchi, Y., and Suese, N., “Real Time Analysts of Displacement and Strain Distributions Using Moire Method,” Hostile Environments and High Temperature Measurements, Proc. 1988 SEM Spring Conf. on Exp. Mech., 17–20 (1988).
- Gielisse, P.J. and Tu, M., “High Sensitivity Objective Grating Speckle,” Hostile Environments and High Temperature Measurements, Proc. 1988 SEM Spring Conf. on Exp. Mech., 13–16 (1988).
- Sciammarella, C.A., Bhat, G., and Shao, Y., “Measurement of Strains at High Temperatures by Means of a Portable Holographic Moire Camera,” Hostile Environments and High Temperature Measurements, Proc. 1988 SEM Spring Conf. on Exp. Mech., 21–26 (1988).
- Peters, W.H. andRanson, W.F., “Digital Imaging Techniques in Experimental Stress Analysis,”Opt. Eng.,21 (3),427–432 (1982).
- Sutton, M.A., Wolters, W.J., Peters, W.H., Ranson, W.F., andMcNeill, S.R., “Determination of Displacements Using an Improved Digital Correlation Method,”Image and Vision Computing,1 (3),133–139 (1983). CrossRef
- Chu, T.C., Ranson, W.F., Sutton, M.A., andPeters, W.H., “Applications of Digital Image Correlation Techniques to Experimental Mechanics,”Experimental Mechanics,25 (3),232–245 (1985). CrossRef
- Sutton, M.A., Cheng, M., Peters, W.H., III, Chao, Y.J., andMcNeill, S.R., “Applications of an Optimized Digital Correlation Method to Planar Deformation Analysis,”Image and Vision Computing,4,143–150 (1986). CrossRef
- McNeill, S.R., Peters, W.H., andSutton, M.A., “Estimation of Stress Intensity Factor by Digital Image Correlation,”Eng. Fract. Mech.,28 (1),101–112 (1987).
- Sutton, M.A., McNeill, S.R., Jang, J., andBabai, M., “Effect of Subpixel Image Restoration on Digital Correlation Error Estimates,”Opt. Eng.,27 (10),870–877 (1988).
- Bruck, H.A., McNeill, S.R., Sutton, M.A., andPeters, W.H., III, “Digital Image Correlation Using Newton-Raphson Method of Partial Differential Corrections,”Experimental Mechanics,29 (3),261–268 (1989).
- Sutton, M.A., Turner, J.L., Chae, T.L., andBruck, H.A., “Development of a Computer Vision Methodology for the Analysis of Surface Deformation in Magnified Image,”STP 1094: MICON-90,1,109–132 (1990).
- Bruck, H.A., Chae, T.L., Sutton, M.A., andTurner, J.L., “Full-Field Representation of the Discretely Sampled Surface Deformation for Displacement and Strain Analysis,”Experimental Mechanics,31 (2),168–177 (1991).
- Sutton, M.A., Bruck, H.A., Chae, T.L., andTurner, J.L., “Experimental Investigations of Three-Dimensional Effects Near a Crack Tip Using Computer Vision,”Int. J. Fract.,53,201–228 (1991).
- Chao, Y.J. and Sutton, M.A., “Accurate Measurement of Two- and Three-Dimensional Surface Deformations for Fracture Specimens by Computer Vision,” Exp. Tech. Fract., 59–93 (1993).
- Dohrmann, C.R. andBusby, H.R., “Spline Function Smoothing and Differentiation of Noisy Data on a Rectangular Grid,”Proceedings VI Int. Conf. Exp. Mech.,2,843–849 (1988).
- Bell, K., “A Refined Triangular Plate Bending Finite Element,”Int. J. Num. Methods Eng.,1,101–122 (1969).
- Chambless, D.A., Suhling, J.C., Swinson, W.F., and Turner, J.L., “A New Hybrid Photoelastic-Finite Element Stress Analysis,” Proc. 1986 SEM Conf. on Exp. Mech., 991–999 (1986).
- Aerospace Structural Metals Handbook,4,CINDAS/USAF CRDA Handbooks Operation, Purdue Univ. (1993).
- Luo, P.F., Chao, Y.J., Sutton, M.A., andPeters, W.H., “Measurement of Three-Dimensional Displacements in Deformable Bodies by Digital Image Processing,”Experimental Mechanics,33 (2),123–132 (1993).
- High-temperature deformation measurements using digital-image correlation
Volume 36, Issue 1 , pp 64-70
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- computer vision/digital-image processing
- data reductions
- nondestructive testing
- test procedures
- high temperature
- Industry Sectors