A genetic algorithm for determining the location of structural impacts
- James F. Doyle
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The spectral-element method, which is very suitable for solving force-identification problems, is combined with a stochastic genetic algorithm to give a scheme that can locate the source of structural impacts. The results are demonstrated with experimental data from the impact of an aluminum beam.
- Gerardi, T.G. (1990) Health Monitoring Aircraft. J. Intelligent Materials Systems & Structures 1: pp. 375-385
- Ghoneim, G.A.M., Johansson, B.M., Smyth, M.W., Grinstead, J. (1984) Global Ship Ice Impact Forces Determined from Full-Scale Tests and Analytical Modeling of the Ice-breakers Canmar Kigoriak and Robert Le Meur. Trans. of SNAME 92: pp. 253-282
- Williams, D. and Jones, R.P.N., “Dynamic Loads in Aeroplanes under Given Impulsive Loads with Particular Reference to Landing and Gust Loads on a Large Flying Boat”, Aero. Research Council, TR# 2221 (1948).
- Whiston, G.S. (1984) Remote Impact Analysis by Use of Propagated Acceleration Signals, I: Theoretical Methods. J. Sound & Vib. 97: pp. 35-51
- Jordan, R.W., Whiston, G.S. (1984) Remote Impact Analysis by Use of Propagated Acceleration Signals II: Comparison between Theory and Experiment. J. Sound & Vib. 97: pp. 53-63
- Schueller, J.K., Wall, T.M.P. (1991) Impact of Fruit on Flexible Beams to Sense Modulus of Elasticity. Experimental Mechanics 31: pp. 118-121
- Stevens, K.K., “Force Identification Problems: an Overview”, Proc. 1987 SEM Spring Conf. on Exp. Mech., 838–844 (1987).
- Srawley, J.E. and Esgor, J.B., “Investigation of Hydrotest Failure of Thiokol Chemical Corporation 260-inch-diameter SL-1 Motor Case”, NASA TMX-1194 (1966).
- Briggs, J.C., Tse, M.-K. (1992) Impact Force Identification using Extracted Modal Parameters and Pattern Matching. Int. J. Impact Eng. 12: pp. 361-372
- Menke, W. (1984) Geophysical Data Analysis: Discrete Inverse Theory. Academic Press, Orlando
- Ho, C.L., “Ultra-sonic Surface Eave Detection Technique”, Chap. 3, Experimental Techniques in Fracture Mechanics (1975).
- Maginness, M.G. (1972) The Reconstruction of Elastic Wave Fields from Measurements over a Transducer Array. J. Sound & Vib. 20: pp. 219-240
- Ewing, W.M., Jardetzky, W.S. (1957) Elastic Waves in Layered Media. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Briggs, J.C., Force Identification using Extracted Modal Parameters with Applications to Glide Height Testing of Computer Hard Disks, PhD Thesis, M.I.T. (1991).
- Doyle, J.F. (1987) An Experimental Method for Determining the Location and Time of Initiation of an Unknown Dispersing Pulse. Experimental Mechanics 27: pp. 229-233
- Doyle, J.F. (1984) Further Developments in Determining the Dynamic Contact Law. Experimental Mechanics 24: pp. 265-270
- Doyle, J.F. (1987) Determining the Contact Force during the Transverse Impact of Plates. Experimental Mechanics 27: pp. 68-72
- Doyle, J.F., “Experimentally Determining the Contact Force During the Transverse Impact of Orthotropic Plates”, J. Sound & Vib., 441–448 (1987).
- Rizzi, S.A. and Doyle, J.F., “Force Identification for Impact of a Layered System”. Computational Aspects of Impact and Penetration, ed. L.E. Schwer and R.F. Kulak, 221–241, Elmepress International (1991).
- Doyle, J.F., Farris, T.N. Analysis of Wave Motion in 3-D Structures using Spectral Methods. In: Schwer, L.E., Kulak, R.F. eds. (1991) Computational Aspects of Contact, Impact and Penetration. Elmepress International, Switzerland, pp. 197-219
- Doyle, J.F. (1993) Force Identification from Dynamic Responses of a Bi-Material Beam. Experimental Mechanics 33: pp. 64-69
- Press, W.H., Flannery, B.P., Teukolsky, S.A., Vetterling, W.T. (1986) Numerical Recipes. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Davis, L. (1987) Genetic Algorithms and Simulated Annealing. Pitman, London
- Goldberg, D.E. (1989) Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning. Addison Wesley, Reading, MA
- Doyle, J.F. (1989) Wave Propagation in Structures. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Gopalakrishnan, S., Spectral Analysis of Wave Propagation in Connected Waveguides, PhD Thesis, Purdue Univ. (1992).
- Doyle, J.F., “A Spectrally Formulated Finite Element for Longitudinal Wave Propagation”, Int. J. Anal. and Exp. Modal Analysis, 1–5 (1988).
- Doyle, J.F. and Farris, T.N., “A Spectrally Formulated Element for Flexural Wave Propagation in Beams”, Int. J. Anal. and Exp. Modal Analysis, 99–107 (April 1990).
- Doyle, J.F. and Farris, T.N., “A Spectrally Formulated Finite Element for Wave Propagation in 3-D Frame Structures”, Int. J. Anal. and Exp. Modal Analysis, 223–237 (Oct. 1990).
- Gopalakrishnan, S., Martin, M. and Doyle, J.F., “A Matrix Methodology for Spectral Analysis of Wave Propagation in Multiple Connected Timoshenko Beams”, J. Sound & Vib., 11–24 (1992).
- Holland, J., Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems, Univ. of Michigan Press (1975).
- A genetic algorithm for determining the location of structural impacts
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 37-44
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- James F. Doyle (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University, 308 Grissom Hall, 47906, West Lafayette, IN