A genetic algorithm for determining the location of structural impacts
- James F. Doyle
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The spectral-element method, which is very suitable for solving force-identification problems, is combined with a stochastic genetic algorithm to give a scheme that can locate the source of structural impacts. The results are demonstrated with experimental data from the impact of an aluminum beam.
- Gerardi, T.G., “Health Monitoring Aircraft,”J. Intelligent Materials Systems & Structures,1,375–385 (1990).
- Ghoneim, G.A.M., Johansson, B.M., Smyth, M.W., andGrinstead, J., “Global Ship Ice Impact Forces Determined from Full-Scale Tests and Analytical Modeling of the Ice-breakers Canmar Kigoriak and Robert Le Meur”,Trans. of SNAME,92,253–282 (1984).
- Williams, D. and Jones, R.P.N., “Dynamic Loads in Aeroplanes under Given Impulsive Loads with Particular Reference to Landing and Gust Loads on a Large Flying Boat”, Aero. Research Council, TR# 2221 (1948).
- Whiston, G.S., “Remote Impact Analysis by Use of Propagated Acceleration Signals, I: Theoretical Methods”,J. Sound & Vib.,97 (1),35–51 (1984).
- Jordan, R.W. andWhiston, G.S., “Remote Impact Analysis by Use of Propagated Acceleration Signals II: Comparison between Theory and Experiment”,J. Sound & Vib.,97,53–63 (1984).
- Schueller, J.K. andWall, T.M.P., “Impact of Fruit on Flexible Beams to Sense Modulus of Elasticity”,Experimental Mechanics,31,118–121 (1991).
- Stevens, K.K., “Force Identification Problems: an Overview”, Proc. 1987 SEM Spring Conf. on Exp. Mech., 838–844 (1987).
- Srawley, J.E. and Esgor, J.B., “Investigation of Hydrotest Failure of Thiokol Chemical Corporation 260-inch-diameter SL-1 Motor Case”, NASA TMX-1194 (1966).
- Briggs, J.C. andTse, M.-K., “Impact Force Identification using Extracted Modal Parameters and Pattern Matching”,Int. J. Impact Eng.,12,361–372 (1992).
- Menke, W., Geophysical Data Analysis: Discrete Inverse Theory, Academic Press, Orlando (1984).
- Ho, C.L., “Ultra-sonic Surface Eave Detection Technique”, Chap. 3, Experimental Techniques in Fracture Mechanics (1975).
- Maginness, M.G., “The Reconstruction of Elastic Wave Fields from Measurements over a Transducer Array”,J. Sound & Vib.,20 (2),219–240 (1972).
- Ewing, W.M. andJardetzky, W.S., Elastic Waves in Layered Media, McGraw-Hill, New York (1957).
- Briggs, J.C., Force Identification using Extracted Modal Parameters with Applications to Glide Height Testing of Computer Hard Disks, PhD Thesis, M.I.T. (1991).
- Doyle, J.F., “An Experimental Method for Determining the Location and Time of Initiation of an Unknown Dispersing Pulse”, EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS27,229–233 (1987).
- Doyle, J.F., “Further Developments in Determining the Dynamic Contact Law”,Experimental Mechanics,24,265–270 (1984).
- Doyle, J.F., “Determining the Contact Force during the Transverse Impact of Plates”,Experimental Mechanics,27,68–72 (1987).
- Doyle, J.F., “Experimentally Determining the Contact Force During the Transverse Impact of Orthotropic Plates”, J. Sound & Vib., 441–448 (1987).
- Rizzi, S.A. and Doyle, J.F., “Force Identification for Impact of a Layered System”. Computational Aspects of Impact and Penetration, ed. L.E. Schwer and R.F. Kulak, 221–241, Elmepress International (1991).
- Doyle, J.F. andFarris, T.N., “Analysis of Wave Motion in 3-D Structures using Spectral Methods”.Computational Aspects of Contact, Impact and Penetration, ed. L.E. Schwer andR.F. Kulak, 197–219, Elmepress International, Switzerland (1991).
- Doyle, J.F., “Force Identification from Dynamic Responses of a Bi-Material Beam”,Experimental Mechanics,33,64–69 (1993).
- Press, W.H., Flannery, B.P., Teukolsky, S.A., andVetterling, W.T., Numerical Recipes, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1986).
- Davis, L., Genetic Algorithms and Simulated Annealing, Pitman, London (1987).
- Goldberg, D.E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning, Addison Wesley, Reading, MA (1989).
- Doyle, J.F., Wave Propagation in Structures, Springer-Verlag, New York (1989).
- Gopalakrishnan, S., Spectral Analysis of Wave Propagation in Connected Waveguides, PhD Thesis, Purdue Univ. (1992).
- Doyle, J.F., “A Spectrally Formulated Finite Element for Longitudinal Wave Propagation”, Int. J. Anal. and Exp. Modal Analysis, 1–5 (1988).
- Doyle, J.F. and Farris, T.N., “A Spectrally Formulated Element for Flexural Wave Propagation in Beams”, Int. J. Anal. and Exp. Modal Analysis, 99–107 (April 1990).
- Doyle, J.F. and Farris, T.N., “A Spectrally Formulated Finite Element for Wave Propagation in 3-D Frame Structures”, Int. J. Anal. and Exp. Modal Analysis, 223–237 (Oct. 1990).
- Gopalakrishnan, S., Martin, M. and Doyle, J.F., “A Matrix Methodology for Spectral Analysis of Wave Propagation in Multiple Connected Timoshenko Beams”, J. Sound & Vib., 11–24 (1992).
- Holland, J., Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems, Univ. of Michigan Press (1975).
- A genetic algorithm for determining the location of structural impacts
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 37-44
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- James F. Doyle (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University, 308 Grissom Hall, 47906, West Lafayette, IN