A historical review of moiré interferometry
- Colin A. Walker
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
High sensitivity moiré interferometry is now a technique in fairly general use. Its development arose from the efforts of a number of workers over a period of nearly 40 years. This progress is reviewed in the ligh of the individual contributions that have led to the presentday accurate and user-friendly systems. In the first instance, the story is related in approximate chronological order; the contributions of individuals and groups are outlined in more detail in a series of appendices.
It will become apparent that moiré has not developed in a smooth, linear fashion—rather, a number of people reacted to the problems they were asked to solve, in a particular manner, and using methods and equipment available at the time. This view of the progress of science and technology as the creation of a climate of opinion and opportunity is very much in line with modern analyses of the history of science.
- Guild, J., The Interference Systems of Crossed Diffraction Gratings, Oxford University Press, London (1956).
- Lord Rayleigh, Phil. Mag. 47 81 (1874)and 47 193 (1874).
- Righi, A., Nuovo Cimento,21 203 (1887)and 22 10 (1888).
- Theocaris, P., “Moiré Fringes: A Powerful Measuring Device,” Appl. Mech. Rev. 15 (May 1962).
- Sevenhuijsen, P. J., “Photonics for Deformations” Proc. SEM, 5th Int. Conf. Exp. Stress Analysis; Montreal 787 (1984).
- Hardy, A.K., “Techniques for Applying the Moiré Method to Large Specimens and Welded Joints,”Strain,5,62 (April1970).
- Sevenhuijsen, P.J., “GRID Methods—a New Future,” Proc. 1989 SEM Spring Conf. on Exp. Mech., 445–450 (1989).
- Post, D., “Isochromatic Fringe Sharpening and Fringe Multiplication in Photoelasticity,”Proc. SESA,XII (2),143–156 (1955).
- Post, D. “New Optical Methods of Moiré Fringe Multiplication,”Experimental Mechanics,8 (2)63–68 (Feb.1968).
- Sciamarella, C.A., “The Moiré Method—A Review,”Experimental Mechanics,22 (11),418–433 (1982)and “Discussion,”23 (12),446–449 (1983).
- Luxmoore, A. andHermann, R., “An Investigation of Photoresists for Use in Optical Strain Analysis”,J. Strain Analysis,5 (3),162 (1970).
- Boone, P.M., “Laser Produced Moiré Gratings,” Strain, 89–95 (April 1969).
- Cook, R.W.E., “Recording Distorition in Irregularly-Shaped Objects,”Optics And Laser Tech.,3 71 (1971). CrossRef
- Boone, P.M., “A Method for Directly Determining Surface Strain Fields Using Diffraction Gratings,”Experimental Mechanics,11 (11)481–489 (1971).
- Kato, K., Yamato, F., Murota, T. andJimma, T., “Improvement on Method of Measuring Strain Using Interference Fringes of Diffracted Beams at Gratings on Specimens (some Discussions on the Multiplication Method),”Bull. JSME,16 (100),1513 (Oct.1973).
- Walker, C.A. andMcKelvie, J., “A Practical Multiplied—Fringe Moiré System,”Experimental Mechanics,18 (8)316–320 (Aug.1978). CrossRef
- Brown, I.C., McKelvie, J., Perry, S.H. andWalker, C.A., “Site Measurement of Strain by a Moiré Fringe Technique,”Structural Engineer—Part B,57B 62–65 (Sept.1979).
- Hutley, M.C., Diffraction Gratings, Academic Press, New York (1982).
- Ohta, A., Kosuge, M. andSasaki, E., “Measurement of Strain Distribution by the Moiré Fringe Multiplication Method at a tip of a Propagating Fatigue Crack,”Int. Jnl. of Fracture,13,289–300 (June1977).
- Post, D. andBaracat, W.A., “High Sensitivity Moiré Interferometry—a Simplified Approach,”Experimental Mechanics,21 (3),100 (1981). CrossRef
- Marchant, M. andBishop, S.M., “An Interference Technique for the Measurement of In-Plane Displacements of Opaque Objects,”J. Strain Anal.,9 (1)36–43 (1974).
- Matsumoto, K. andTakashima, M., “Improvements on Moiré Technique for In-Plane Deformation Measurements,”Appl. Opt.,12 (4),858 (1973).
- Ohta, A., Kosuge, M. andSasaki, E., “Fatigue Crack Closure over the Range of Stress Ratios from −1 to 0.08 down to Stress Threshold Level in HT 80 and SUS 304 Stainless Steel,”Int. Jnl. Fract.,14 (3),251–264 (1978).
- McDonach, A., McKelvie, J., MacKenzie, P. andWalker, C.A., “Improved Moiré Interferometry and Applications in Fracture Mechanics, Residual Stress and Damaged Composites,”Experimental Techniques,7 (6),20–24 (June1983).
- McDonach, A., PhD Thesis, Univ. of Strathclyde (1983).
- Walker, C.A., “Moiré Interferometry for Strain Analysis,”Opt. and Lasers in Eng.,8,213–262 (1988). CrossRef
- Post, D., “Moiré Interferometry at VPI & SU,”Experimental Mechanics,23 (2),203–210 (June1983).
- Weissman, E.M., Post, D. andAsundi, A., “Whole-field Strain Determination by Moiré Shearing Interferometry,”J. Strain Anal. 19 (2)77–80 (1984).
- Post, D., Handbook on Experimental Mechanics (A. Kobayashi, Editor), 314–387, Prentice-Hall (1987).
- MacKenzie, P., “Developments in Moiré Interferometry and its Application in Fracture Mechanics,” PhD Diss., Univ. of Strathclyde (1987).
- Marshall, S.J., Rixon, R.C., Caulfield, M.M. andMacKenzie, P., “The Application of Automatic Fringe Analysis in Fracture Mechanics,”Opt. and Lasers in Eng. 7 175 (1987). CrossRef
- Salbut, L. andPatorski, K., “Polarisation Phase-shifting Method for Moiré Interferometry and Flatness Testing,”Appl. Optics,29 (10),1471–1476 (April1990).
- McKelvie, J., “On the Limits of Moiré Interferometry,” Proc. 1986 SEM Spring Conference on Exp. Mech. (June 1986).
- Bayer, M. and Cloud, G., “Moiré to 1370° C.” Proc. 1986 SEM Spring Conference on Exp. Mech. (June 1986).
- Kobayashi, A.S., “Hybrid Experimental—Numerical Stress Analysis,” Handbook on Experimental Mechanics ed. A.S. Kobayashi, Chapt. 17, Prentice-Hall, SEM (1987).
- Smith, C.W., Post, D., Hiatt, G. andNicoletto, G., “Displacement Measurements Around Cracks in Three-dimensional Problems by a Hybrid Experimental Technique,”Experimental Mechanics,23, (1),15–20 (March1983).
- Tsujiuchi, I., J. Jap. Soc. Mech. Eng. (in Japanese),70 568, 1658 (1967).
- Kato, K., Murota, T. andMorita, K., “On the Method of Mesuring Strain by Diffraction at Mis-matched Moiré Fringes,”Bull. JSME,19 (128),81–83 (Feb.1976).
- Graticules Ltd., Sidcup, Kent, England. (These gratings in fact derive from the work of R. Fidler at the Marchwood Research Labs. of the CEGB).
- Walker, C.A., McKelvie, I. andPritty, D., “An Automatic, Fringe Analysis Interferometer for Rapid Moiré Stress Analysis,”SPIE, Utrecht,164,175–188 (1978).
- Walker, C.A., McKelvie, J. andMcDonach, A., “Experimental Study of Inelastic Strain Patterns in a Model of a Tube-Plate Ligament Using an Interferometric Moiré Technique,”Experimental Mechanics,23,21–29 (March1983).
- MacKenzie, P.M., “Direct Experimental Measurement of the J-Integral in Engineering Materials,”Res Mech. 28,361–382 (1989).
- Walker, C.A., “Fracture Studies on a Full-Scale Pipe-Bend,” Inst. Mech. Eng. Conference on Pipework Components, C376/054, London, 217 (March 1989).
- Matsumoto, K. andOse, T., “Interferometry Using the Conjugate Wavefronts on a Hologram,” (original in Japanese)Monthly J. Inst. Ind. Sci. of the Univ. of Tokyo,19,18 (1967).
- Bryngdahl, O., J. Opt. Soc. Amer.,59,142 (1969).
- Matsumoto, K. andTakashima, M., “Phase-Difference Amplification by Nonlinear Holograms,”J. Opt. Soc. Amer. 60 (1),30–33 (1970).
- Matsumoto, K., Okuno, T., Takashima, M. and Watake, S. and Yamada, Y. “In-Plane Strain Measurement by Multiplied Fringe Shift Moiré Technique,” (in English) Proc. ICO Conf. Opt. Methods in Sci. and Ind. Meas., Tokyo (1974) and Japan J. Appl. Physics,14,Suppl. 14–1, 455 (1975).
- Okuno, T., Watake, S. andYamada, Y., “Application of a New Moiré Measuring System and some Pilot Examples,” (in Japanese)J. Jap. Soc. of Precision Eng.,41 39 (1975).
- Matsumoto, K., “Review of High Sensitivity Interferometry with Higher Order Diffracted Waves” High Accuracy, Monthly J. of the Jap. Soc. of Precision Eng. 6,18 (1976).
- Post, D. andMacLaughlin, T.F., “Strain Analysis by Moiré Fringe Multiplication,”Experimental Mechanics,11, (9),408–413 (1971).
- Post, D., “Moiré Interferometry for Damage Analysis of Composites,”Experimental Techniques,7 (7),17–20 (1983).
- Post, D., Czarnek, R. andJoh, D., “Shear Strain Contours from Moiré Interferometry,”Experimental Mechanics,35 (3),282 (1985).
- Kuhn, T.S., The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, 2nd Ed., University of Chicago Press (1970).
- Post, D. and Han, B., “Moiré Interferometry with Increased Sensitivity,” Proc. 1991 SEM Spring Conf. on Exp. Mech., 285 (1991). (Also: publication pending in Opt. Eng.).
- Jamasri and Walker, C.A., “The Measurement of Mixed—Mode Stress-intensity Factors in Unidirectional CFRP Composites—A Hybrid Approach,” J. Strain Anal. (publication pending).
- A historical review of moiré interferometry
Volume 34, Issue 4 , pp 281-299
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Colin A. Walker (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Strathclyde, 70 Montrose Street, G11XJ, Glasgow, UK