Interpretation of fringes in stress-holo-interferometry
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Previous studies had concluded that stressholo-interferometry patterns consist of the independent superposition of the isopachic family (with half-order fringe shifts) and the isochromatic family. It is shown here that this interpretation is not always valid and can result in serious errors in some cases. In particular, it is demonstrated that the position, and even the existence of the fringes, are affected by the interaction of the isopachics and isochromatics. This effect is most pronounced when the two families of fringes are nearly parallel and of approximately the same spatial frequency. The independent superposition interpretation is most accurate when the two families of fringes are orthogonal, whatever the ratio of spatial frequencies might be. These properties are illustrated using computer-generated holographic interference patterns.
- Heflinger, L. O., Wuerker, R. F., andBrooks, R. E., “Holographic Interferometry,”Jnl. of Applied Physics,37 (2),642–649 (Feb.1966).
- Fourney, M. E., “Application of Holography to Photoelasticity,”Experimental Mechanics,8 (1),33–38 (Jan.1968). CrossRef
- Hovanesian, J. D., Brcic, V., andPowell, R. L., “A New Experimental Stress-Optic Method: Stress-Holo-Interferometry,”Experimental Mechanics,8 (8),362–368 (Aug.1968). CrossRef
- Nisida, M. andSaito, H., “A New Interferometric Method of Two-dimensional Stress Analysis,”Experimental Mechanics,4 (12),366–376 (Dec.1964). CrossRef
- Fourney, M. E. andMate, K. V., “Further Applications of Holography to Photoelasticity,”Experimental Mechanics,10 (5),177–186 (May1970). CrossRef
- Sanford, R. J. and Durelli, A. J., “Interpretation of Fringes in Stress-Holo-Interferometry,” Catholic Univ. of America, Report to the Office of Naval Research No. 24 (July 1970).
- Sanford, R. J., “Computer Simulated Stress Optic Patterns,” to be published.
- Interpretation of fringes in stress-holo-interferometry
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 161-166
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors